Saturday, June 15, 2019

Celebrate the Stash



Yesterday, I had a terrific Stash Enhancing eXperience.  The Wisconsin Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts has their annual fabric and fiber rummage sale this weekend, and in a phrase I learned from my dad, I "made out like a bandit".  I took my cart, the one I use at the Farmers Market, and filled it to the brim.

Like all Stash Enhancing eXperiences, it was so much fun.  I tossed gallon bags of fabric into my cart with gleeful abandon.  As you can see, I was focusing on bright colors and novelty fabrics.  A small amount of wool and cotton yarn also came home with me.

The photo above shows the fabrics after they have been washed and folded.  Not pictured are a seven yard piece for backing and a four yard piece of heavier cloth for grocery bags, which are still churning through the laundry.  That cart was FULL.

Lucky me!  More fabric!  Through the Hands 2 Help Challenge, I won a gift certificate to the Fat Quarter Shop.  I added a little money of my own, and bought all these great fabrics on Clearance.  (Check out the hedgehogs!)

I do not feel guilty about either of these buying sprees!  When I wash and fold these fabrics, I feel joy.  When I add them to the rest of my stash, and eventually press and cut and sew them, the joy continues.  And when I make a quilt for someone else, I pass that joy on.

I do not feel any need to destash just for the sake of destashing.  I do plan on doing more of what librarians call "weeding".  Any fabrics I know I won't use or can't use will be passed on to someone else.  And that also goes for UFOs that no longer lift my heart to look at them.

When am I going to stop buying fabric?  Never!

Climbing down from the soap box now, sorry.

Here's what I did with some of my dark blue stash this week.
Zigzag rows for my Project 1, Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
Each of these rows is 64 in. long, which is tough to photograph.  (Do you see the hedgehog fabric?  I'm already using it.)
Weirdly, it just occurred to me this week to do the math on this quilt.  Oops!  I already have more rows than I would need for a twin sized quilt, which was my goal.  And we haven't even done all the colors yet!  I think there are going to be two zigzag quilts instead of one.

In other news, I finished this donation quilt.
The four patches are made from bright fabrics and squares cut from a Laurel Burch jungle print.

Here it is outside, with Little Buddy's lawnmower.

Don't you just love these cats?  And the zebra, of course!
Here's the back, a butterfly print with an orange strip to make it wide enough.

The fabrics for this quilt were selected and cut by Colleen, a friend on the Charity Quilt Committee of my local guild.  I decided on the arrangement and did the sewing and quilting.  I added the orange fabric for cornerstones and the orange binding and the strip on the back.
Orange, I just can't quit you!
But I love working with dark blue, too.

This week, I'm wishing you the joy of fabric.  Celebrate the stash!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts 
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











22 comments:

  1. Your joy comes through in this post, Sylvia! I enjoy my stash, too - and stash enhancing experiences can be a lot of fun. Your zigzag rows are fun to see, and I always love your donation quilts, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Aren't we lucky to live now, when there is so much great fabric available?

      Delete
  2. LOL enjoying seeing someone happy to have a hoard of fabric and using it! I love your chevron quilt, I must get started on one, such a fun kids quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I will admit, I have sometimes bought fabric and felt it was "too pretty to cut". Not anymore!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Sylvia! You are going to have SEW much fun with all that new fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post--love your zig-zags--your blues are so pretty hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you -- I LOVE buying fabric whether from a store or from a yard sale or just receiving a gift from a friend! I know exactly what you mean about the joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful bounty of new, fun fabrics! Comfort quilts for kids are a great way to get to play with those bright prints. I like the bright yellow sashing you used with your donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Auntie Em! I love playing with these fabrics. My friend supplied the yellow batik, also. It really packs a punch.

      Delete
  7. Love your "I made out like a bandit"! Beautiful fabrics, you were so right to pick them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frederique! I can't wait to sew with them.

      Delete
  8. Wow! You really hit the jackpot with all those fabrics. It’s so much fun to make kids quilts. It looks like you’ll be busy for quite a while. I really like your zigzag blocks in dark blue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sing it, sister! I'm with you every step of the way! Storage space is the only reason I limit my stash, because every piece makes me happy. The buying, the ironing, the folding, the cutting, the stitching! What's not to love? And of of course I adore your little jungle quilt! So bright and happy and fun fun fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and hallelujah! Fabric is meant to be enjoyed. And so are quilts!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your acquisitions! I love the joy that shines through the post - and what a great shopper! I recently finished a shop hop and , of course, had to buy a little something at each shop in appreciation. Just looking at the fabric makes me happy, and I know I'll feel the same every time I go to the stash to pull some fabric. Reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We have to keep the shops going. Plus fabric is the very best kind of souvenir.

      Delete
  11. Great soapbox speech! I agree, although I do go through episodes of trying to use stash rather than grow it. But of course, something fun happens and I add--usually a wagon load just like yours.
    You are such a generous quilter. It seems that every time I come for a visit you have more donation quilts. And they are always so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I love making donation quilts, especially for kids. And honestly we already have so many quilts in our house that I'm having trouble storing them!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!