Saturday, June 29, 2019

Winding Up Dark Blue



As always, I love the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  It's so much fun to pull out the scraps and make blocks in the color of the month.  With June ending tomorrow, it's time to finish the dark blue Sawtooth Square blocks.
Sometimes, it's easy to see why quilt blocks got certain names.  This is an antique circular saw blade, with lots of those sawteeth (is that a word?) just ready to cut into a board in an old time saw mill.
The block itself is a LOT simpler, giving the barest impression of all those teeth on the blade.
I'm not sure which part I like best--making the crumb centers or finishing the blocks.  Either way, these scrappy dark blues are ready to add to a Sawtooth Square quilt.

So I'm caught up on the RSC quilts.  Hurray!

In other news, this "squirrel" I started last week is nesting in and making itself at home.
I wrote about this block last month.  I'm calling it Roscoe Star.  My only problem is deciding which blues to include and which to leave out.  Making these blocks is like a treat.  And no calories!

OMG, June ends tomorrow!  So how's that dinosaur quilt coming along?
This will be my Little Buddy's quilt for his big bed at our house.  My OMG (one monthly goal) for June was to make the top.  But once I got into it, I decided to do things differently.  (It's a thing I do.)
When I had the center pieced with the first two borders, I layered it up and quilted it as if it was a baby quilt.  Then I added the next border, the backing (cut large) and the batting (also large).
As of this writing, I'm still working on the last border, and hope to add it on later today.  Then the 3 outer borders will be ready to quilt.
This book, Machine Quilting in Sections by Marti Michell, gives directions for making quilts this way, plus several other ways.  It's handy to have.

It's finally getting hot here!  This week, Little Buddy and I went to the grocery store as usual.  This time I asked him what flavor of ice cream he wanted.
"Chocolate!" he said without hesitation, "I like chocolate every day."
Me too!
This Thursday is the 243rd birthday of the United States of America.   
I am grateful for the courage of the founders of our country, and for all the people who have stood up in times of trouble to point us in the right direction.
May the better angels of our nature guide us in the coming years.

 Happy 4th of July to all who celebrate.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict 
(There appears to be some sort of technical glitch with photos at Sarah's link up this week.)
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap










15 comments:

  1. LOL I think you are missing a number :) 243 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Buddy's quilt is going to be SEW cute!! Smart thinking on using that interesting quilting technique. We'll need a review when the quilt is finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I've done variations of this technique before. It's a little awkward when you add the backing and batting, but do-able. I don't catch the batting in the seam (too bulky), I just use basting spray to hold it in place while quilting.

      Delete
  3. I like those Sawtooth blocks - such a great way to use up crumb blocks! Interesting way you are quilting the dinosaur quilt - I'll have to look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The author, Marti Michell, uses what she calls a six layer seam to add the border(s), backing, and batting to the quilted center.

      Delete
  4. The dinosaur quilt is really cute, and it sounds like a very interesting way to get it quilted. Thanks for the suggestion of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Auntie Em! I hope Little Buddy will like it. I had to hurry up and make it before he gets tired of dinosaurs.

      Delete
  5. Love your crumb block centers. The fireworks and Popsicles are perfect for the Fourth of July. Have a good one !

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made some great progress this week. Thanks for sharing your lovely blocks with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love your blue squirrels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your various projects are looking good! We're up near the border and today is Canada Day, so we're getting two countries' worth of patriotic spirit here this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!