Saturday, June 22, 2019

Mood Indigo

Welcome to Treadlestitches!
It's a beautiful morning, and I'm thinking about one of my favorite colors, indigo blue.

One of the first things that drew me to quilting was my love of antique quilts, like the top above.  And of all the amazing colors in these old quilts, indigo blue was/is my favorite.
Just look at the way this unknown quilter used many different blue and white prints as setting squares for these scrap blocks.  She may have done that because she didn't have enough of any one print.  I'm glad she didn't--it gives us so much more to look at.
Dark blue is this month's color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so I've been pulling out my reproduction indigo scraps to make my spiky stars.
Here they are, ready to be quilted by the block.  I'm hoping to finish the spiky star quilt before the end of the year.
Having recently organized my "big scraps" (pieces ranging in size from a fat quarter to nearly a yard), I have a whole box of repro blues.  Hmm, wonder what I could do with these?  Isn't there a blue and white quilt in the back of my mind somewhere?
Oh, yes, this one.  I saw it hanging in the Roscoe Antique Mall in Beloit last December, and took this photo. 

Of course I had to make a test block. The pattern is a variation of Double T or Capital T (Brackman #1662b).  Because the corners are turned so the dark fabric is to the outside of the block, it doesn't look like a T at all.
So I'm calling it Roscoe Star.
And off we go, on another squirrel chase.
Just as soon as I get over this cold.

I'm wishing good health for you this week, and happy stitching.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So scrappy
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 






19 comments:

  1. Those indigo blues are so pretty! I like both the spiky stars and the new star you figured out - star quilts are always my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! There's just something about scrappy star quilts.

      Delete
  2. That's quite a nice selection of blues! Have fun catching up with those squirrels! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Auntie Em! Look out, squirrels, here I come!

      Delete
  3. Superbe ! Moi aussi j'adore le bleu ;)
    Beautiful "Roscoe Star", enjoy making them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since moving to Wisconsin 10 years ago I have not been antiquing. I need to be in the purging phase. But I would love to go to the rustic goat mall. I’ve been collecting antique mainly 19th century quilts for many ye

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. I got cut off for some reason. I would love to go to the Rosco mall... I dictate most of my comments and did not catch the rustic goat in time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, PaulaB! I love the "rustic goat" mall! It actually sounds like a good name for an antique store.
      BTW, I'm purging my antique quilts, too. But I'm still collecting photos!

      Delete
  6. I love your newest block. All of those amazing blues are going to make a lovely quilt. Hope you get to feeling better soon and thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I wish I could go to your class in September, it looks terrific!

      Delete
  7. You can never go wrong with indigo and white! The Roscoe star is so striking. It will make a beautiful quilt when gathered with its indigo siblings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I always love the classics, like blue and white or red and white.

      Delete
  8. Your Roscoe star will make a lovely quilt in indigos. I can tell you really love your blues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! You're right about the blues, I just can't stop collecting them!

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I love those blue and white quilts, too! Your Roscoe block looks great. Are you planning to make a whole quilt of them, or use it in a sampler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca Grace! I'm planning a whole quilt of these blocks, with both dark indigo and cadet blue blocks. Should be fun.

      Delete
  10. Blue and white always make for a striking quilt. Like you, I appreciate the use of many different blues. I appreciate fabrics as much as blocks, quilting or anything else quilty.
    A summer cold is generally one that puts up a fight, so get well quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary, I'm feeling better, nearly back to normal. Making these blocks is like a treat, while working on tougher projects.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!