Saturday, May 30, 2020

More Quilty Hugs

Welcome to Treadlestitches!
Thanks to Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, many of us are participating in her annual Hands2Help drive, which saw 876 quilts donated last year.  Maybe this year will be even better.
Last week I showed you this quilt as a top.  I hurried up and quilted it this week to donate to Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo.
I found this backing fabric in my stash.  It has been there at least 10 years, waiting for just the right project.  The binding is a pink/purple print I bought in a bundle at Goodwill a few years ago.

I thought this would be my last quilt for Hands2Help this year.  After all, we're down to the wire in terms of time.  The quilts need to be completed in the coming week.  And I was actually ready!

But then I thought about the people I have loved who have had cancer, and faced chemotherapy.  Some were women, but most were men.  The quilt I had made was very girly.  I needed to make another quilt, one that would be more appealing to a man.
My dog Bella is helping me show the new top.  I hope to get it quilted this weekend.
There are 9 blocks, each with a center cut from a fish fabric.  The background squares in the corners of the block are a canoe print, that also has fish, paddles, and sailboats.  The dark blue border is a sailboat print.  The theme would work for a woman, but would not be off-putting for a man.
The pattern is called Railroad Crossing, and comes from the book Charm School, by Vanessa Goertzen.




Charm School Book -- CreateForLess

(By the way, there are lots of fun patterns in here for charm squares!)

I thought about my Dad while I worked on this quilt.  When he was a teenager, he ran away from home one summer and went to Michigan, where he worked in a hotel and learned to love the Great Lakes.  At the end of the summer, he went back home, but it really changed his life.  When he was old enough, he joined the Coast Guard, and was eventually stationed on a lighthouse.
When Dad was diagnosed with cancer, he decided not to have chemo, since the prognosis was not good even with it.  For him, it was the right choice, but other situations are different, and there have been advances in chemotherapy in the more than 30 years since he got sick.   If there is even a small thing I can do to help a cancer patient, like making a lap quilt, I am happy to do it.
I'm donating this quilt in memory of my Dad.
The oregano is coming on strong in our little herb garden next to the garage.  I'm drying bunches of it in the kitchen.  If you're local and want some, let me know.  You can come and cut it safely.
My oldest daughter and her two kids came by yesterday, and brought Little Buddy some birthday presents--a dino backpack and a dino print hat.  He immediately decided it was a paleontologist outfit, so he was a paleontologist the rest of the day, hunting for dinosaurs.  We found a few, too!
My dear hubby and I went to Cedarburg Bog on Wednesday to walk in the woods. I had a hard time keeping up with him because I was taking so many photos of all the wildflowers, like the trillium above.  It still seems odd to go somewhere by ourselves in the middle of the week.  Little Buddy's mom is only working on Fridays for now, so we're no longer full time babysitters.
This is Watt's Lake, part of the Cedarburg Bog Natural Area.  Water is very high around here, due to recent rains.
One of Little Buddy's favorite shows has been Dinosaur Train, on PBS.  The paleontologist on that show, Dr. Scott, has a tag line for the kids.  He says, "Go outside, get into nature, and make your own discoveries!"
Good advice!
I am wishing for happy discoveries for all of us this week.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 












24 comments:

  1. I lost my father to cancer as well. Love the quilts. Our older house came with trillium and jack in the pulpit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, I am so sorry about your father. I keep hoping a cure for cancer will finally be found. As a child, when we walked in the woods my grandmother would always point out jack in the pulpit. I thought the name made it even more interesting.

      Delete
  2. A donation quilt, a donation top, and a nature walk? Sounds like a really good week (especially when you throw Little Buddy into the mix!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! I do have a good life, don't I? But not nearly as busy as you! I love seeing all you get up to.

      Delete
  3. Love your new quilt top with the fish theme, Sylvia! Your visit to the bog looked like a nice adventure - especially if there were lots of wildflowers to photograph, too. It is so enjoyable to get out and enjoy and explore nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! It is literally and figuratively a breath of fresh air to take a walk in the woods. Or the bog!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilts, what a great idea. Bless your generous heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your quilts are lovely. And the memories about your father are so sweet - what a great way to remember him and show some extra love for someone going thru a hard time. I LOVE little buddies paleontologist outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! And thanks for Finished or Not Finished Friday!

      Delete
  6. Love your quilts. And what a cute quilt photo helper! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    I like dinosaur train too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I think I have enjoyed the kid shows at least as much as the children! Sesame Street is still my favorite.

      Delete
  7. Very smart and generous of you to make an additional quilt that a man can love! I love the fish centers on this piece. Lots of fishermen out there who can use a quilty hug :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I think we all can use a quilty hug, especially this year. And quilty hugs are safe, too!

      Delete
  8. Very thoughtful quilt!! Love that it’s in memory of your dad. He had an unusual youth that shaped him for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. He was a great guy. I'm happy to remember him today.

      Delete
  9. My husband was always cold when he had cancer (with chemo and radiation treatments) so quilty hugs are always good for cancer patients! My mom died of cancer and she loved that they put purple quilts on her bed when she was in hospice.

    More kids need to get outside and have adventures! When my grandkids were little they used to like to go hunt for "dinosaur bones" down in our woods. Sometimes they found actual bones of some kind of critters that died over the years. Yucky!! They were probably squirrel or raccoon bones or some such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! I'm so sorry your loved ones had to deal with this terrible disease. I think cancer has touched all of us, in one way or another.
      When my mom and her brother were kids, they found what they were sure was a dinosaur buried in a farm field. It turned out to be a horse.

      Delete
  10. What a sweet story about your father. Chemo has come a long way and it's true -- it's not always the right choice for everyone. Love the fussy-cut fish in the the centers! (I'm a pisces so of course I love them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! There are so many colorful fish prints now! I probably have enough to make a couple more quilts.

      Delete
  11. Love the purple in the first quilt. And so thoughtful of you to make one geared more toward a male. I need to remember to do that next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple is fast becoming my favorite color! So why don't I have more of it in my stash? I need to fix that!

      Delete
  12. A beautiful tribute to honor your dad's memory. And I am happy to see that beautiful quilt top finished. Your nature photos are also gorgeous, what a lovely place for a walk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!