Saturday, May 9, 2020

New and Old

Welcome to Treadlestitches!
Here's something new--Little Buddy is back!  We're babysitting three of our grandchildren while our daughter works.  This isn't really a new situation, since we've done this for years, but it's new since the virus and the birth of the new baby.  We're choosing to do this because our daughter and her family need us, but we are still being very careful of our health, only going out for essential items like groceries and wearing our masks when we go out to help protect others.
At the moment, our daughter is only working one day a week, but that may change soon.  In the meantime, it gives us a chance to get used to taking care of a new baby again.  I am so NOT used to it that I didn't even get any pictures of the littlest guy.  These two have school online when they're here, too (yes, even the three year old!) so that's been very new and "interesting".
Here's something old!  It's a UFO, finally turned into a top.  These blocks have been languishing in a basket for literally years.  Once it's quilted by our amazing quilt group volunteers, it will be donated to someone who needs it.
The pattern is Scrappy Mountain Majesties, one of the free patterns from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville.  Click HERE to go directly to the instructions.  My blocks are larger than the ones in the pattern.  At one point I believe there were directions for using a bigger square and making this size, which finishes at 7.5" x 9.5".  (Unless I dreamed it, I don't know.)  At any rate, it's a fun block to make and a dramatic quilt.
I even included a few novelty prints--cats and bees!
There are 8 rows of 8 blocks each, but because they are rectangles, the quilt is rectangular as well.  I kind of regret a few of the fabric choices, especially where there is a lack of contrast, but I am not stressing out about it.
While making the top, I finished making my tumbler quilt rows as leaders and enders.  That's them in the basket, pinned into little sausage rolls.  It will be fun to lay them out and start putting them together.  But now what do I use for leaders and enders?
Maybe this UFO will work!  These vintage 4 patch blocks are what I call a Double UFO.  I bought the squares years ago, already cut.  I just love packets of scraps like that.  They were 1930s and 1940s prints, with stacks of solid colors.  Somebody got ready to make a quilt, and then never got around to it.  I can definitely relate!  I trimmed up what I had, added solids as necessary, and made the blocks above.  And then I let it sit.  So two of us had started this quilt, and stalled out (thus, Double UFO).  Now I've got a plan, and this time maybe I'll keep on through to finish it.  I will need to make more blocks, though.
The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for the month is dark green, so I'm sewing these first.
They may not look very dark, but they are much darker than the light green row.
More stuff from the basement!  Over the years I have collected lots of unfinished block sets.  I had some sort of crazy idea of finishing ALL of them as their original makers intended. (Hilarious!)  I am finally forced to admit that this is not going to happen, even if I live to be as old as Methuselah.  I love the fabrics in these blocks, and I know they'll be more useful to me in a different form.
So I cut them into 5 in. squares.
Lots of the squares are made from scraps the original quilter sewed together to make a large enough piece.  I think this adds a little character.  Working class chic.  Waste not, want not.
I did the same thing to another set of blocks.  These huge squares were sewn together (badly!) by hand, and some of the fabrics were very poor quality.
So I sliced them up with the rotary cutter into another pile of 5 in. squares, and got rid of the bad ones.  Now they'll be easy to work with.  I'll be going through my charm square books to find some fun patterns.
The last new thing this week is this mask.  I'm trying out patterns for this style of face mask.  The first one I made was just too small (more of an A cup than a B cup).  This one fits better.  I found this yarn in my basement stash.  I remember buying it because it was on sale.  (Could that be how I ended up with so much stuff?)  It's 100 polyester, is very soft, and is similar to a cut up T shirt.  It makes good ties for a mask, but I only have it in green.
If you are local, and want some, I would be more than happy to share.

Yesterday the neighborhood elementary school had a parade of teacher's cars, which happened to come right down our street.  The teachers held signs and waved at the kids, who came out in their yards with signs thanking them.  It was a lovely celebration of the end of the school year.
We are all in this together.  We will figure it out.
Stay safe this week.  Thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy


















22 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your UFO top together!! Nice job on putting those antique fabrics to use for your leader/ender project. Happy sewing (and hope you are having fun with Big Buddy, Little Buddy, and Baby Buddy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I am so glad to see the kids again, I don't even mind changing diapers!

      Delete
  2. I'll be anxious to see what you do with the 5 inch squares. I am going to have a bunch of 30s repros 5 inch scraps left over from my current large churn dashes and have been contemplating what I want to do with them.

    Yarn is a good idea for ties. I still have some elastic. I had a bunch of packages of it on hand in my sewing supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! I'm going to be pouring over the books to find a good pattern. There are so many I'm spoiled for choice.

      Delete
  3. Loved seeing Little Buddy again in your post, and hope you're enjoying getting to know Baby Buddy, too! Maybe having them once a week will ease you back in to the newborn stuff. Congratulations on getting your Scrappy Mountain Majesties blocks into a flimsy. It looks great! Great idea, too, to cut those other blocks into squares - I bet you'll find all kinds of uses for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Having the kids once a week is great. I'm going to need to take my vitamins and go to bed early when they're here full time!

      Delete
  4. I love the old abandoned project, too. I will never get through them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I inherited a set of "double 4 patches" too, and am letting them sit until I have inspiration. Must have been a popular pattern at one point.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue! I think 4 patch was a good beginner pattern (still is!) and definitely an easy way to use up scraps. Good luck with your project.

      Delete
  6. I’m anxious to see those charms come together! Good for you! Finishes are a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I want to drop everything and do something with those squares.

      Delete
  7. I recently did a couple table runners with the Scrappy Mtn Magesty style of block. They are fun to make. Yours is a beautiful scrappy mountain:) I love knowing you also have stuff in your basement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vicki! Hurray, I'm not the only one with a basement full of "treasures"! I think of it as my warehouse. Or like a store, where everything is free.

      Delete
  8. Looks like you've been working away on a bunch of old projects! And having the kids with you must be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these projects are so old I've almost forgotten about them! So it's fun digging them out and looking at them with fresh eyes. The kids are great fun. I think chaos is probably good for older people--keeps us going!

      Delete
  9. Your Mountain Majesties is great, I enjoyed making that pattern a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! Bonnie Hunter has given us so many fun free patterns.

      Delete
  10. Your basement is full of treasures. I look forward to seeing what you end up making. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I do like to think of the basement stuff as "treasures" and not ""junk".

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh - you got so much done! Loving your new Vintage project! and yay for the boys being back!!!! I bet they missed being with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. BH's Scrappy Mountains Majesties is on my bucket list. That one and her Scrappy Trip Around the World! I think I could really bust my stash with either AND both! Your projects look like so much fun. Love how you decided to trim the blocks into usable squares. At least they'll get used. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!