Saturday, May 16, 2020

Piecing It All Together



Welcome to Treadlestitches!  
Spring has finally come to Wisconsin.  My seedlings are doing well, and now that May seems to be settling down into warmer weather, I'll be planting them in our little garden soon.   These are zucchini, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers.


Has this ever happened to you?  The project I was using for leaders and enders just took over and demanded to be made right then and there.
Last week, I started working on an old UFO of 4 patch blocks from 1930s fabrics and solid colors.  Now it's a twin-sized top, with a simple border of print squares.
Here's one of the weirdest squares in the border--a donkey (or burro?).  I think he's kind of cute.

I wanted this quilt to be similar to scrap quilts made in the 1930s, and alternate unpieced blocks were common then.  The alternate block is a very pale yellow solid from the stash. I tried using white, but it just seemed too stark.
After playing with the blocks on the floor for a couple of hours, I decided on the diagonal rows of color.  Kind of like a rainbow.  But this layout left out some of the blocks, especially the dark green ones.
So I made the rest of the blocks into a small top.  This is my nod to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month, which is dark green.  All the fabrics are vintage, so I don't think it would be a good donation quilt, since it would likely get a lot of wear and tear.  The fabrics are good quality, and might be fine, but I don't want to take a chance.  I'll quilt it up and use it around here.
We might need a few baby quilts.  Three of my grandsons were here yesterday, including this guy, my Baby Buddy.  Quilts are great for laying on the floor to play with babies.
The weather was beautiful yesterday (in the 70s!) so we were able to take a walk in the park.  BTW, check out Little Buddy's haircut.  His mom has always cut the boys' hair herself, even when there wasn't a pandemic.
Big Buddy would rather bike than walk.  He's taking a break here from math lessons.  Grandpa is tutoring him, more power to him.  It's all Greek to me.  (Little Buddy is not having any success trying to push his big brother's bike.)
Here's what ended up being leaders and enders for the 4 patch quilts.  This is my homework from April--three light blue house blocks for the RSC, and April's diary block.
I love making these house blocks!
This one has cats on the roof and the door, and clowns in the windows.
I've used lots of cat prints in other houses.  This time, it's the dogs' turn.
Scottie dogs live here, and there are bunnies at the door.

Lastly, my April diary quilt block is finally done.  April was a hard month.  Like lots of people all around the world, we couldn't be with any of our family the whole month, including Easter.  But pieced into this block are some of the bright spots.  Our library started a curbside service, I made masks and finished quilts, and every Sunday like usual I talked to my Mom on the phone (those are the yellow bars).  Life goes on.  It's different, but we can do it.

While I was sewing with the vintage fabrics this week, I listened to a Glenn Miller CD and sort of put myself in mind of the 1930s and 1940s.  Women like my grandmothers and great-grandmothers had hard times then, living through the Great Depression and World War II.  They got through it with hard work and common sense.
We can do that, too.

Stay safe, everyone, and thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Cynthia at Oh Scrap












26 comments:

  1. You certainly had a productive week. You see, Sylvia?!? That's EXACTLY what happens to me when I try to work on a Leader/Ender project!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! It's the attack of the leaders and enders! They are even worse than squirrels!

      Delete
  2. You're right, we can get through this! I talk to my mom every Sunday, too - even small traditions like that are comforting. I love seeing the different sewing you've been doing. The house blocks are soft and sweet! I had forgotten about your diary blocks - they're going to make a great quilt, especially with 2020 developing the way it has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! That's one of the things I really like about the Rainbow Scrap Challenge--all the variety! It's nice to have some different things to sew each month, and it's fun to see what everybody else is up to.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, the exact same thing happened to me with leader/enders this week! And they were even four patches that I ended up putting together with unpieced cream squares. I guess we're on the same wavelength :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! I'm proud to be on the same wavelength with you!

      Delete
  4. This is why I fail at L&E; I get caught up in them and soon they have taken over! I'm only doing one RSC (my first) just to see how it goes. I rather like dark green so have plenty of it for my blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't count how many times this leader and ender takeover has happened to me! I hope you like the RSC as much as I do. It's a fun way to use scraps and still make whatever you want.

      Delete
  5. I do the same thing with L & Es. Like so much right now, just go with the flow!

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting the 4 patches together. Progress is progress, does it really matter what we are doing as long as we are doing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! Very true! I'm just going to keep sewing something.

      Delete
  7. I am glad your leader ender project spoke to you to get it finished!! Great job! and the Buddies - I bet they are so happy to be with you all again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! It is so great to see our Buddies! I don't even mind changing diapers.

      Delete
  8. Love the house block patterns! Can you tell me whose it is. I'd love to make a house quilt!
    Your problem with leaders/enders is mine too. I've quit using them due to my lack of discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marianne! The house pattern comes from American Patchwork and Quilting magazine, Feb. 2020 issue. I don't know if it's still in stores, but you can subscribe online. Here's the link:
      https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/magazines-more/american-patchwork-and-quilting/american-patchwork-quilting-february-2020?slide=8a4ee5c6-4ba9-4c24-ae68-87ab7bb32fba#8a4ee5c6-4ba9-4c24-ae68-87ab7bb32fba

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I missed seeing that issue.

      Delete
  9. Too funny, the little guy trying to push his big brother on the bike! Love it! I also love your 4-patch quilt with the alternate blocks, for several reasons. Number one, that 'thirties scrappy sensibility just appeals to me, but number two is that I've been making too many blocks with every block pieced in wild, scrappy prints, and then when it comes time to quilt them, I'm disappointed that none of my quilting is showing up on all those prints. Alternate plain blocks speed construction time, give your eye a place to rest, and are great canvases for showcasing quilting that disappears on prints! Your little houses are adorable, too. And thank you for sharing those vegetable seedlings with us. Every sprouted seed is the realized promise of a new beginning, with good things to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca Grace! I love the idea of new beginnings, and good things to come! I guess everyone who's ever planted a garden feels this way.

      Delete
  10. The nostalgia of thirties and vintage fabrics are a balm to the spirit -- because the quilters of that era lived through much harder times than we are now, even with the pandemic. You have some fine flimsies done there, and those house blocks are lovely. And what a handsome set of grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! I always say, I'm the luckiest person in the world.

      Delete
  11. I see that many bloggers are making house blocks during this time of isolation. I love yours, so may just get on the bandwagon! I too have surcumbed to the call of the leaders/enders in the past. I started out with thimble sized tumblers, and when hubby was off visiting his brother overnight, I sewed all night and finished a little top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those leaders and enders are sneaky! Thimble sized tumblers, wow. I'd love to see that.

      Delete
  12. Baby Buddy is ADORABLE! Looks perfectly happy laying on a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! He is such a happy little guy. And noise doesn't bother him a bit, he's used to it!

      Delete
  13. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!