Saturday, May 2, 2020

Trash and Treasures



Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's spring in Wisconsin.  The robins have been back for at least a month, and this plump fellow likes to perch on a tree in our backyard just about every morning. 

With spring comes spring cleaning.  I've had more time for it this year, with less babysitting, so I am taking it more seriously.
Do you have one of these?  It's a yarn monster!

For the last 2 weeks, I've been cleaning out my basement stash, sorting out what to keep, what to sell or give away, and what to toss.  Above is a nest of yarn ends, from the bottom of a box.  It was easy to decide to throw the yarn monster out.  Other decisions were tougher.

In a box of embroidered linens, I found these vintage dish towels.
Most of these date to before World War II.  Cute little figures are outlined on towels made from flour sacks.
See the little bear on the upper corner of this sack?  All the little bear embroideries are done on these Sunnyfield flour bags.  I wonder if the maker thought the lettering would wash out.  Although the companies confidently promised this would happen, it often didn't.
At one time, I thought I might cut the embroidered bears, ducks, etc. out of the towels and make them into quilt blocks.  I could still do that.  For now, I've washed them all and stacked them in the pantry.
As I was sorting through things, I happened to set some little embroidered blocks next to these tiny scraps.  Hmm.  I loved both of them.  Could I put them together?
Well, yes I could!
On the back you can see the pinked edges of the little scraps.  The small size, pinked edges, and multiple colorways of each print make me believe these were swatches, sent by fabric companies to stores and seamstresses to assist in ordering yardage.
The blocks are rectangles, 5 in. x 6 in. before being sewn together.  The embroideries are kittens, puppies, one chick and one rabbit.  I bought them on Ebay many years ago.  The seller lived in the next town over, and actually delivered them to my door.  She didn't know anything about who made them.
I used a vintage bunny print for the border, also reclaimed from the basement stash.
Right now, I am debating how to quilt it.  I know it won't be a donation quilt.  Embroidery doesn't fare well with the frequent washings donated children's quilts need.  I may use it on the wall in our extra room.  It measures about 30 in. x 36 in.
There is still lots to do in the basement, but I was sidetracked this week by a different kind of project.
The United Way is sponsoring MaskUPMKE, an effort to assemble face masks for local use.  (Click HERE for more information.)  Each volunteer takes home a box like this.
Here's what's in the box--rolls of mask material, perforated for each mask, and latex-free rubber bands.  We assemble the masks in our homes, and return the box with the completed masks.
Here's what they look like.  The first one you make is yours, to wear as you work.
It's not official PPE, and not very pretty, but if it helps at all I'm glad to do it.
Here's what the box looked like this morning before I taped it up and dropped it off.  There are 692 masks in here.   If you live in the area and are interesting in helping out, they are taking volunteers at least through next week.  They deliver and retrieve the boxes from your car trunk to minimize exposure to the virus.
More treasures of spring--the rhubarb is up, and looking very healthy after all our rain this week.
And the tulips are blooming!
All of these are good reasons to keep going, and keep hoping.  Times are tough now, but there are better days ahead.
Stay safe this week!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Angela at So Scrappy
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Cynthia at Oh Scrap




















28 comments:

  1. The little stitchery quilt is adorable and will make a lovely wall hanging in a child's room or your house. I wonder if the other embroideries were made on feed sacks because she was desperate to sew something pretty and its all she had. Not to mention women were not wanting to be sitting idle because you were deemed lazy, or perhaps just something fun and pretty to focus on through the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I always wonder about the people who made things I've collected, and what their lives were like. I think whoever made the bear towels must have done a lot of baking!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing vintage embroidery put to use, especially as a quilt! Someone put lots of hours into those sweet little animals. Your top with all the bright swatches is the perfect place for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I've always loved the vintage embroideries. It's nice to see people doing hand embroidery again.

      Delete
  3. I would love to see it hand quilted. Something simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chris! That's what I've been thinking about, at least for the embroidered blocks.

      Delete
  4. I love your sweet little quilt with the embroidered pieces, Sylvia! You found the perfect fabric bits to put with them. That is quite a mask project, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I am so relieved to be done with the masks! Now I can get back to organizing and sewing.

      Delete
  5. Super cute linens, Sylvia! Nice job on turning those basement finds into a quilt top. It is SEW adorable! I can't tell what kind of material those masks were made of from looking at the photo. It almost looks like paper toweling. It was very kind of you to help with that project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! The masks do feel like paper, but according to the directions they are made of something called "melt-blown polypropylene". I have no idea what that is.

      Delete
  6. I do so love the little stitchery blocks. Didn't you do a great job to get the darling quilt assembled so quickly. I'm so pleased you are keeping it, it is certainly a vintage beauty and full of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! It is such a joy to just grab an idea and make something. Now I have to figure out the quilting.

      Delete
  7. I just adore what you've done! I have a red/white one with embroidered blocks that is queued up in my project bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tami! Good luck with your redwork, these embroidered blocks are real treasures.

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    What a find in the basement...and you got a quilt from it...which is beautiful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those vintage embroideries. I still embroider on dishtowels and use some of those vintage transfers. I have a collection of transfers. I made Christmas and housewarming gift sets of embroidered dish towels, hotpads, crochet dishcloth and crochet scrubbies. They were always well received...well, at least while I was present they were well received!! ;-) I'm going to make some sets for my grandkids for their hope chests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to do for your family! And whenever they see your gifts, they'll think of you fondly.

      Delete
  10. I love the little quilt you made. I have a bunch of vintage embroidered pieces I want to turn into a quilt too. I just need to find the time.

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! Time is the tough part, especially for people like you who are still working in this pandemic. Good luck!

      Delete
  11. That is one of the sweetest quilts I've seen in a long time. The embroidered blocks are adorable and you set them off perfectly with the scrappy rectangles. You are so right -- better days are ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! I'm going to keep believing, keep hoping, and keep sewing!

      Delete
  12. What a charming little quilt you have created out of forgotten treasures! It evokes memories of another, simpler time, when makers embroidered everyday items to make them beautiful, and nothing was wasted. We just might have come full circle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, laughing gas quilts! (What a great name!) There are lots of things living through this pandemic can teach us, just starting with not wasting food.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely little quilt you made from "found" embroideries! A true treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet sweet quilt! Definitely save it - it would look so great on a wall and remind you of all the good things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! It is a very cheerful little quilt.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!