Friday, December 1, 2017

Christmas Quilting with Our Little Schnickelfritz

Here's our little buddy, posing with my finished Star Struck variation quilt.  We sometimes call him Schnickelfritz, which around here means a kind of imp or elf.  He's got the impish part down pat.  Yesterday he hid one of his socks in a kitchen drawer.  The day before he took all Grandpa's books off the shelf while I was fixing his lunch.  Life is never dull around here.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I was still too tired the day after to write the blog, but the weekend gave me time to finish quilting the sections of this quilt, sew them together, and quilt the border.
It's all about holly leaves!  I didn't realize until I was quilting it that both the sashing and border are holly leaf prints.  I bought the sashing from the sale section at J. J. Stitches in October, and the border has been in my stash a very long time.
The binding was actually in my stash, in the bottom of a bin in the basement.  I could not believe it when I came across it while cleaning out the bin.  The color was just what I wanted.
Here's the back, a poinsettia print on white. 
So that's one of the Christmas scrap quilts done!
In other news, I finished this rail fence flimsy.
The pieces are all scrap, and both the borders came from the Christmas stash.
The star is made of 2.5 in. strips cut into squares and triangles. 

This must be a child's quilt.  The red border is a toy print, and check out the green border:
Santa and choo choo trains!  I think I picked this fabric up at a flea market.  On the selvedge it said copyright 1992.
Maybe I should quilt this one for my little Schnickelfritz?
Happy first of December, and happy quilting!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up as usual with Crazy Mom Quilts and Busy Hands Quilts.








8 comments:

  1. What a sweet little boy!
    I love the Christmas quilt, nice setting with a medallion center block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! I'm making several Christmas scrap quilts, and trying different settings for each.

      Delete
  2. One done and one to go. I love BOTH of the Christmas quilts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! This project is really using up the scraps!

      Delete
  3. What a great nick name for your little imp! Fun, festive quilts, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your post brought back memories. My dad called my brother, Schnickelfritz! I thought he made it up! Now I know how to spell it. Isn't being a grandparent a great gig?!
    ps: love both your scrappy Christmas quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! Being a grandma is my favorite "job" ever.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!