Saturday, February 3, 2018

Two Times Three Equals Five

I'm not exactly a math whiz.  I'm the kind of person who used to read novels tucked inside the textbook in Algebra class.  Most of the math I use in daily life is just simple adding and subtracting, multiplying and dividing.
The book above, Cut the Scraps! by Joan Ford, appealed to me because I'm always curious about how other people cut and use their scraps.  My own scraps are sorted into 1.5 in., 2 in., 2.5 in., 3.5 in., 4.5 in. and 5 in. strips and squares.  The real orphans are the 2 in. pieces.  They get passed over time after time for the easier math of the 2.5 in. strips.
Ms. Ford cuts her scraps into squares in three sizes:  2 in., 3.5 in., and 5 in., and she explains in the book that she does this because they play well together.  Four patch blocks made of 2 in. squares finish at 3 in., so they can pair with the 3.5 in. squares.  And nine patch blocks made from 2 in. squares finish at 4.5 in., just like 5 in. squares.  (Two inches times 3 across equals five!  Right?)
Why did I never think of this?  And why did it suddenly go off in my head like a light bulb in a dark refrigerator?
Here's why.  Scraps!
Some people are inspired by nature, or sunrises, or songs.  I'm inspired by crumpled piles of fabric strips.  I definitely need to use these up. This mess is less than half the strips from my 2 in. drawer.  I've pulled out the 1800s reproductions, more or less, and from there sorted them into lights and darks.
I'm cutting the 2 in. strips into squares and making classic nine patch blocks.  Then I'm sewing them to pairs of 5 in. squares which are already cut and waiting.
This is so much fun I can hardly stop myself.  I was sewing in my pajamas this morning, before I'd even had my first cup of tea.
I've also had fun this week making string blocks for Covered in Love.  These aren't sewn together, just set snugly side by side.  When I get a couple more sewn I'll send them off.
The Joy in the Morning baby quilt is quilted and bound, ready for a new home.
More no-mark quilting.  The long lines in the solid blue pieces were done using the edge of the presser foot, and I cross hatched the squares by eye.  It turned out better than I was expecting, although of course not perfect.  Totally fun fabrics.
The border is this cute boot print.  My little grandson is so excited to go out in the snow wearing his boots.  He yells "Boot!  Boot!  Boot!" until I put them on him.  The snow melted away this week, but it's pouring down now, and we're expecting 4 to 6 inches of cold white stuff.  My little buddy will be thrilled.

Snow doesn't really thrill me anymore, but getting fabric and a new Kaffe Fassett book in the mail never fails.  Hurray!
Lentil soup, a cup of tea, and scraps to sew make this a perfect day to be snowed in.
Stay warm this week, and keep quilting!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Linking up as always to Crazy Mom Quilts  and Busy Hands Quilts.






6 comments:

  1. Oh, how fantastic! I share your love of scraps and I sort my by size as well. I will have to check this title out - always good to grab a little inspiration to get us sewing those scraps as much as possible!
    Stay warm and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm smiling just picturing your grandson putting on his boots and running out into the snow! Is this quilt for him? If so, he's going to love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! No, my little buddy already has a small stack of quilts of his own. This is a charity quilt. When I make him another, I think I will put cows on it since those are his favorite animals.

      Delete
  3. Those piles of scraps make me want to go dive into mine!! Glad to see that you are taking time to sew.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!