Saturday, January 14, 2023

Fits and Starts, But Mostly Starts

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

New year, new quilt projects!  Here's a fun new project for this year.  I'm using dark and bright blue on these blocks, since that's the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, my favorite internet challenge of all time.

I stole this idea from a lovely quilt blogger, and I can't even remember who!  The blue pieces are cut 3.5 in. x 6.5 in. and of course I cut them from some of my favorite novelty fabrics.  (Will I ever use up all that dinosaur fabric?  It's probably going to take a few more years.)  The white pieces are cut 2 in. x 6.5 in.

Update:  The pattern for this quilt comes from Maryquilts.com, and is called Forest Bricks.  You can find a link to the free pdf on this page (Click HERE).  Thanks to alert reader Connie in VA for the info.  I saw it on Sara's blog My Sewing Room.  You can see hers HERE.  Her quilt is named Scrappy Bricks.

My plan here is to make at least two toddler-sized quilts for donation, while using up some of the apparently endless supply of 3.5 in. strips in the drawer.

Speaking of endless supplies, the local chain store is having a big flannel sale, so I looked through my flannel bins in the basement.  Holy overstock, Batman!  Something must be done!  First, I'm staying away from the sale.  Second, I put three kits together for cozy baby quilts.

This one was easy--the strips were already cut.  I grabbed the purple and pink strips, plus light strips that would go with them.  This will be a rail fence quilt for a little girl.  There are a lot of strips, it could make two quilts, we'll see.  Most of these are leftovers from a big quilt I made for my granddaughter.

The first die I got for my Accuquilt cutter was this large tumbler.  I went nuts with it, cutting up all kinds of fabric, but especially flannel, and made several quilts.  Most of these tumblers were already cut, just needed a few more solid yellows.  I think the aqua will make either a border or a binding.

More duckies!  I cut a Trip Around the World baby quilt kit from 5 in. strips and remnants.  These are easy to cut and piece, but it always takes me forever to decide which fabric goes where.  It's especially tough if I only have a small amount of a print.

Since when did phone books start giving life advice?  I'm working on a string quilt (more on that next week) and using phone book pages as paper foundations.  It was fun to find this encouragement for having a hobby.  Quilting definitely helps with stress and gives great opportunities for social interaction.  Not sure about the exercise bit, though.

This page had Reasons to get a Pet.  I can get on board with pets being good companions, etc., but I'm not sure if our kitten relieves more stress than he causes.

Here is Snicklefritz, attacking my Rainbow Streak of Lightning quilt.  In spite of this little wild guy, I got the center quilted, just need to quilt the borders and bind it.


 There was a mystery in the sewing room this week.  My reliable treadle was suddenly having terrible tension problems.  It would be working fine, I would step away to press or cut, and when I started sewing again the tension would be messed up.  As always, I went through my checklist for tension problems, including rethreading the machine.  When I did that, it went back to normal.  Have you guessed what it was?  That little cat was playing with the thread and partially unthreading the machine!  It wasn't obvious, so I didn't notice. Finally I caught him in the act.  I sent him off to play with hubby for a while.

Oh, no, somebody's in the tunnel!  My little grandson and I play with his beloved trains every morning. Sometimes we use this old book as a tunnel for the trains to go through.  But not when there's a giant cat in the way!

Seriously, it may not be relaxing having a kitten around, but it is a lot of fun.

I hope you have fun this week, doing whatever you love to do.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 

 









32 comments:

  1. Love your blue bricks!! My brick quilt is in the hands of a quilter, so I'm hoping to get it back in the next week or so. Such an easy block, and I have a whole box full of the center sections left after making the first quilt, so I'm guessing a second one will happen soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray, mystery solved, it was your quilt that inspired me to start this project! I love how yours turned out!

      Delete
  2. Fun Dark/Bright BLUE blocks, Sylvia! Making kits from your baby flannel was a good idea. Staying away from the SALE was an even better idea! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? How am I ever going to use up all the flannel if I keep buying more?

      Delete
  3. I like those blue blocks! You have such a great variety of fabric. I have never made a flannel quilt. Someday. I think it is great that you are going to use up scraps for donation quilts. Your little kitten is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kitten sure keeps you one your toes, who would have thought he was so smart to pull out the thread? He definitely wanted your attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I need to spend more time playing with him. I do like cuddle time the best, though.

      Delete
  5. I think you can count treadling as an exercise, so just keep sewing! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish! But even gentle movement like treadling helps with my bad knees, so there's that.

      Delete
  6. I've made several quilts from the pattern you're using for your bricks. I got the pattern from http://maryquilts.com She calls it Forest Bricks. It's a nice, fast block and looks really nice when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! I'm adding a link to the pattern to this post. I love Maryquilts, I've used her Go Friendly patterns several times.

      Delete
  7. I like the flannel projects - I have a seriously large stash of them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many cute flannel prints. And the quilts are cozy!

      Delete
  8. Who wouldn’t love to have a Snicklefritz in their house. Did I tell you how much I love his name? Maybe a cover for your machine when you have to walk away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's an adorable menace in the sewing room, even hopping up on the ironing board next to the hot iron, or attacking my hands when I'm rotary cutting. I have to banish him for his own safety.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sylvia, I'm so glad that your tension problem wasn't serious :-) Great quilts happening! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andree! I was starting to really worry, I love that machine.

      Delete
  10. Haha! Maybe Snickelfritz is in training to become a sewing machine technician! I love your brick blocks - no one does fun kid quilts like you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I'm inspired all the time by quilt books and patterns, and quilt bloggers like you. We are so lucky!

      Delete
  11. I believe the blocks/layout is called a Basket Weave quilt. Such a fun, quick block to make. Your fabrics are fun. I love the soft colours of the flannel quilt. It will be so cozy when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those brick blocks are so great with your pretty blue prints, Sylvia! And I will love seeing your scrappy toddler quilts, too. What size are you making them? I think Snicklefritz was just checking to see if you knew how to fix a tension issue - now that you do, he can move on to another sewing room issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! If I'm making 6 in. blocks, I usually make 30, 5 across and 6 down, and add 3 in. borders, for a finished size of 36 x 42. Some end up larger if I use multiple borders, larger blocks, etc.

      Delete
  13. Those brick blocks are terrific. I have my friend's flannel scraps and flannel scraps from pajamas that I made for my daughters when they were small. This year, I plan to make a dent in those scraps. Sewing on flannel is not my preference. Oh, the memories you are making with your furry fiend er friend!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TerryK! I had to laugh at the furry "fiend"! Good luck with the flannel.

      Delete
  14. So many fun blue fabrics. Those cozy flannel quilts will be sure to keep someone warm. Glad you were able to use what you had rather than needing to buy more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I forget to use what's already here. There's cute stuff in that flannel stash!

      Delete
  15. The bricks look so snappy in blue and white. How old is that phone book? I'm using a Recorded Books catalog from circa 2010 when I need thin foundation paper. I think I'm up to page 100 out of about 700. It will last me a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nann! My phone book is from 2021. It's a skinny one for a small town. Catalogs are a great idea!

      Delete
  16. What a fun bricks quilt - its fun to see the various ways you can use this pattern!! and your kittie... little stinker - you will have to teach it to thread.. not unthread haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if I teach him to rip? He wouldn't need a seam ripper!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!