Friday, October 27, 2023

Crossroads, Happy Blocks, and A Smooth Criminal

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

 

The Crossroads quilt I started a few weeks ago is a finish!  I had a little trouble getting the blocks to come out "exactly" right, but I persisted.  It feels good to have this one in the done pile.

The pattern came from the book Quilts for Scrap Lovers, by Judy Gauthier.  I can't remember if I ever used yellow fabric for sashing before, but I think it worked out okay.  It measures 43 in. x 52.5 in., and will be donated.

All that second hand fabric I bought at sales this summer and fall is really coming in handy.  The star border came from that loot, and so did many of the pieces in the blocks.  As you can see, the quilting is my usual serpentine grid with the walking foot.

The cooler fall weather inspired me to put flannel on the back.  It's soft and cozy.  I need to back more of the quilts I keep with flannel.

Check out the cat print!

In other news, I got Happy Blocks Quilt #2 finished also.  

This one has pink, purple, aqua, yellow and light blue frames around the light-background squares.

Half the fun of making these quilts has been searching for novelty squares for the centers.  There are so many wonderful fabrics being printed...

like minions and princesses..

and some nice bunnies!  The backing is the heart print I've been using up lately, and the binding is also a pink hearts print.  Lots of love from me to the little girl who gets this quilt.

Speaking of love, who is this, peaking out at us?  It's Little Guy on the playground at school.
 

Both of our younger grandsons, Buddy and Little Guy, posed for me on a lovely warm day this week.

Breaking News!  Be On The Lookout for a Smooth Criminal!

Wanted:  Snicklefritz AKA Snicky the Sneak  

Age:  1 year 

Crimes Include:

Theft:

 of an empty bobbin.  Subject carried it downstairs in his mouth for reasons unknown.

of old wool socks from a trash can.  No reason known.

of a (thankfully empty) pin cushion shaped like a strawberry.  Subject had to climb a high shelf, and repeated the offense numerous times.

 Destruction of Property:

Sewing thread chewed in half.  Evidence below.

Paper labels chewed.  Evidence below: 

Reckless Endangerment:

Subject has been known to try to play with a sewing machine needle when it was in operation.

Subject has jumped numerous times onto an ironing board, while the iron was on, causing an elderly woman to scream and/or curse loudly.

 If you see this individual, please call the Feline Bureau of Investigation.  Do not attempt to capture.  Subject is armed with furry cuteness and you may be overwhelmed.  

Have a lovely week, and Happy Halloween!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap









20 comments:

  1. Some cute quilts and kids there. Lol, love the breaking news alert .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both quilts are really cute. Hope you capture that "smooth criminal" soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's been spotted making off with a strip of batting. Definitely not reformed.

      Delete
  3. Two lovely quilt finishes, Sylvia. You certainly know how to combine novelty fabrics with pretty frames and sashing. I laughed out loud reading about your mischievous little cat. He sounds a real character. I bet your two grandsons enjoy hearing about his escapades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! The kids love Snicky. I have to discourage them from hugging him or covering him up to keep him warm.

      Delete
  4. Crossroads is a beautiful quilt, Sylvia! I love the yellow sashing - it adds the sunshine to your blocks. You've been on a finishing roll lately! That Snicklefritz has been up to no good lately, but I bet he has a face you just can't resist, so you'll go easy on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! It's hard to. Be upset with someone so sweet and cuddly.

      Delete
  5. Great donation quilts! Your breaking news about a smooth criminal made me smile! Hope you capture him soon! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He turned himself in by jumping in my lap, and all that purring made me forget to be cross with him.

      Delete
  6. More lovely quilts. Watch out for that feisty feline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I'm having to shut him out of the sewing room at times, which makes us both a little sad. Maybe he will settle down as he gets older.

      Delete
  7. oh my a criminal cat in house but very cute quilt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish and fun pictures of your grandsons. Your breaking news was a total hoot! Thanks for the laugh!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! I can't get too upset with Snicky, he's just so darn cute!

      Delete
  9. I, too, laughed out loud at the ironing board caper!! Thanks for sharing your quilts, grand kids AND "naughty" kitty antics with us each week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's so much fun having a young cat again, even with all his "crimes"! Have a good week.

      Delete
  10. Oh that crossroads quilt is so amazing!! All those little pieces - and it will be so loved!! Your Happy Blocks are wonderful too - now to that thief.... gotta get an APB out for her haha!!
    Thanks for joining in at Finished (or not) Friday!! I love seeing your projects!! ( and the kids.... such cute kids!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! And thanks for the weekly party at Finished or not Friday!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!