Saturday, March 2, 2019

Clean and Green

In Which I Abuse a Centenarian, and Am Appropriately Punished

This is my main treadle sewing machine.  Her serial number begins with the letter D, which means she was manufactured in either 1908 or 1909.  Because of her Egyptian-inspired decals, I named her Aida, from the opera by the same name set in ancient Egypt.  Giving her that name was probably the beginning of the abuse.
She is a work horse.  I have pieced quilt after quilt, sitting at her treadle.  I have also pieced bindings, made grocery bags and doll clothes, and even allowed the grandchildren to give it a go.
Occasionally I would oil her, but mostly I just rushed in, pieced for a while, and rushed back out to my busy life.
Then one day, the inevitable happened.  The tension was off underneath.  Weirdly, it wasn't that way all the time.  When I sewed 5 in. squares together, only part of the seam would be bad.  But it would be VERY bad.  Time-To-Get-the-Seam-Ripper Bad.
I ran down my list of What to Do When the Tension is Bad.  I re-threaded the machine.  I changed the needle.   I made sure I was using the exact same thread weight in the top and the bobbin.  I wound a new bobbin.  None of that worked.
Here's why:
This is a clump of lint.  I don't know why it's always gray, but it is.  This little blob was the last of what I finally cleaned out of the bobbin area.  There was at least THREE TIMES this much lint crammed in there.
Poor Aida!  She was struggling to do my bidding, with this mess choking her, and I was fumbling around with changing needles and threads.
I spent about an hour this morning cleaning and oiling, and begging her forgiveness.  A one hundred year old plus machine should not have to put up with such an obtuse operator.
My punishment was the dreaded reverse stitching.  Triangles and squares had to be ripped and put right.  If I had noticed the problem a little sooner, I might have gotten off easier.  Lesson learned.
 The new color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is green!  I'm laying out the possibilities.  I need bright greens for the zigzag quilt (above)
and reproduction greens for the spiky star quilt.  This is such a fun (and messy!) way to start the month of March.
With my wonderful treadle clean and working well, I got a start on the half square triangles for the zigzag quilt.  After this, I only need 60 more to make the green rows.
Luckily, I have a nice big stack of light triangles cut from the last couple of months.  These will come in handy.
In other news, cooking experiments!
Cherry Kuchen, a yeast-risen coffee cake.
I can verify how well it goes with a cup of tea.
And it's grapefruit marmalade time again.  I've got these grapefruit quarters boiled and cooling.  They will become a small batch of marmalade later today.
We still have snow on the ground here, but the sky is blue and spring is coming.  Things are looking up!
I'm wishing the joy of new and old things for you this week.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at Soscrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 












17 comments:

  1. I am going to assume that you are my guardian angel (or my machine’s). It’s so easy to say, “I’ll just sew one more project before cleaning.” I needed this reminder to clean and oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JanineMarie! I'm afraid I tend to wait for a disaster (hanging my head in shame). Maybe I should put it on the calendar?

      Delete
  2. Poor Aida! Plugging along, trying to please. Thanks for reminding me to look "under the hood" and get the lint out. My machine thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Auntie Em! Aida is much happier today, and so am I. Only you can prevent bobbin lint!

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I enjoy reading about your sewing adventures. Can you explain how you make your half square triangles and why you prefer to make them that way?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kay! I make my hsts using the Easy Angle ruler. I do it that way because I can cut them from strips (and the math is easy that way) and because I absolutely despise drawing lines on fabric. I'm just curmudgeon-ly that way. For me, it's faster to put the two strips together, cut, and sew.

      Delete
  4. A great reminder to clean my machine! I love all your greens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm awfully glad you didn't bury Aida alive before figuring out what her problem was! :) That is a good reminder to clean that stuff out on a more regular basis - I'm guilty of forgetting to do that, too. Pretty greens you've got there! I'm looking forward to green month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Aida! Such a sad opera story. At least in real life my Aida had a happy ending--lintless and sewing again. Now I just have to remember to keep up the cleaning.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I hear you on the lint build-up - I just pulled enough out of my poor machine to stuff a tuffet. I swear I heard her sigh with relief when I was done...
    Grapefruit marmalade sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gayle! I had to laugh about the tuffet. The grapefruit marmalade recipe I used is here: http://www.thebrewerandthebaker.com/archives/10743
      It makes a very small batch (1.5 pints), but that's just right for me.

      Delete
  7. LOL!! I'm familiar with that lint-ridden seam-ripping adventure. SEW glad you were able to diagnose the problem and get some GREEN sewing done for the RSC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so organized to already be sewing with green. I haven't even had a chance to pull green scraps yet.

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cynthia! You wouldn't say organized if you saw my sewing room! I just took pictures of the best parts of the mess. Gotta love the RSC, and Oh Scrap!

      Delete
  9. Ahh, so true! Funny thing is, it's true for the old and new machines! I am always amazed at how much lint there is both in the bobbin area and under the feed dog plate of my machines. I've gotten better at cleaning them out periodically. Ironically, when I learned to sew back in my teens, I NEVER remembered having to or being taught to clean a machine, let alone change needles or oil them. How times have changed for what I like to believe is the better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!