Saturday, March 9, 2019

Spring Forward

Welcome to Treadlestitches!  It's been a piecing week here.  I had less time than usual, so I set aside the machine quilting for the moment to cut and sew.
My OMG project for March is working with my little house blocks, made for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2017.  Here's a giant pile of strips I'm using this week to frame the houses.  Most are Kaffe Fassett fabrics, all are bright, and some are even crazy.  I got a bunch of Kaffe 2.5 in. strips in an exchange at my local quilt group, so I started with those, and cut up what scraps/yardage I had that fit the bill.
My favorite block this week is the banana house block.  There are purple monkeys in the green print!
While I'm sewing strips on the house blocks, I'm making green zigzag blocks for the 2019 RSC.  It is really hard to stop sewing and do the stuff I need to do around here.
Here's two of the things keeping me busy--Little Buddy, and new carpeting in our living/dining room.  This is not just my usual terrible photography, he's actually running and wouldn't slow down for a picture.  He loved racing around in the empty room once the carpet people were done.
Here's the "new" dining room, all put together.  We had to take everything out of this area (the biggest room in the house), of course, and we're cleaning and sorting as we put things back.  I'm really happy with how it's turning out.
I use this little ladder to display small quilts, especially antiques, so I can enjoy them without causing too much wear and tear.  This is a "bluework" quilt, just like redwork, only done with blue embroidery thread.  Don't you love these cats?
Weirdly, the squares that look blank actually have embroidery on them, too.  Can you see the frog with an umbrella above?  I have shown this quilt to a quilt expert, and we both think the alternate squares may have been embroidered with a blue thread that was not colorfast and has since faded away.  Although it is barely possible these were originally embroidered in white thread, it seems unlikely.

I can finally use my table runner!  I got this for Christmas from the gift exchange at the quilt group.  Isn't it wonderful!  All those gorgeous little hexagons, in colors that make me think of spring.
More spring!  Seed catalogs are arriving.  This is one of my favorites.  They sell plants that thrive in this miserable/wonderful climate.
Speaking of spring and wonderful (and miserable), tonight is the night to turn the clocks forward to start Daylight Savings Time. It means that spring and summer are actually coming, which is hard to imagine with 6 inches of snow on the ground, but it also means an hour less sleep.  ACK!   Guess I better go to bed early tonight.

This week I'm wishing good weather, safe travels, and deep restful sleep for us all.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at Soscrappy
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 









10 comments:

  1. Love those colours in your house quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, tubakk! It's kind of outside my comfort zone, but I am having a good time.

      Delete
  2. The GREEN Zigzag blocks for the RSC look SEW cheerful. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Funny how I mostly have light greens this year.

      Delete
  3. This post is just full of zing! Mostly color zing, with Little Buddy zinging around the room for extra credit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! Zinging is definitely what Little Buddy does. Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. That house quilt looks so bright and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Genevieve! I might have gone a little overboard here, but I still like it.

      Delete
  5. I'm really late to the game but have to leave a note anyway, just cause I love the house blocks. You can't possibly go wrong with green monkeys and banana houses!
    What little boy wants to stop for a picture while there free running space. He gets it...furniture will soon take over the open carpet. Run while you can!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!