Thursday, March 21, 2019

Old Books, New Blocks




Welcome to the Treadlestitches Blog!  I may quilt with electricity, but all my piecing is done with people-power.  It's old fashioned and energy efficient at the same time.  (Too bad it doesn't burn very many calories.)


We went to the annual used book sale at our local library today, and here is my quilting/knitting loot.  Do you recognize any of these?  Most of them date from the 90s to about 10 years ago.

Here's my favorite--The Knitted Rug, by Donna Druchunas.  It is like new, and only cost $1.
I don't know if I'll make any of the projects in these old books, but I enjoy reading them.  Eventually I'll pass them on to someone else, but I will have definitely gotten my money's worth.
Here's the one Little Buddy likes the best--it has these wacky chickens on the back...

 ...and this is the front cover.  It's like a blast from the past.
Having finished my zigzag blocks last week, it was on to my Spiky Stars for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge month of green.  Now, what's wrong with this picture?
Yep, I cut 8 right-side pieces and 0 left side pieces.  This is my third month making these stars, and I forgot about the tricky part already.  You can't get cocky here!  Four of the "peaky" shapes are cut with the fabric right side up, and four with the fabric right side down. Doh!
There, that's better.  Good thing I had plenty of that green.
So the block did turn out.  I only made 3 of these this month.
As you can see, I quilted the blocks after I finished piecing them.  I'm hoping this will make it easier to end up with a finished Spiky Stars quilt at the end of the year, and not another dreaded UFO.  I will have some hand work to do on the back after I sew them together, but I won't be manhandling a big quilt through my small machine opening.
Spring seems to actually be coming here in Wisconsin.  The robins are back!
I couldn't get any robins to pose for me today, so I'm using a picture from last year.
Robins are a sign of hope, and it cheers me just to see them.

This week, I'm wishing hope for you, and the joy of anticipation.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap









20 comments:

  1. Those dreaded spikey blocks! Those are my least favorite blocks ever. The templates are hard to work with because of the skinny tapers. Like you, I always end up having to rip or recut pieces. Hooray for some nice finished blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula B! Maybe I'll improve by the time the quilt is finished? I'm certainly doing a lot of practicing!

      Delete
  2. LOVE those wacky chickens! What a great find. We shop our library as well on those days. We are at our local library at least three times a week for books and videos. What a great place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Kathy S., love your local library! Little Buddy and I look forward to story time every week.

      Delete
  3. Those books look like they will be fun to dive into! I like your Spikey Stars! Are they made with the Tri- Recs ruler? I have one of those, but haven't ever used it. Should try it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! Yep, Tri-Recs rulers. I was a little worried about them, but I find if I follow the directions it comes out okay. Now I just have to remember to follow the directions.

      Delete
  4. I like looking at old books - everything old is new again- great stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! There is lots of inspiration in old books.

      Delete
  5. Those Wacky Chickens remind me of an old friend of mine. Thank you for that memory and for sharing your GREEN blocks for the RSC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gosh! I've made that same mistake, (forgetting I needed both left and right pieces.) Your blocks are beautiful. I especially like the one with the variations in the background fabric.
    Welcome Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Auntie Em! Those are "natural" variations, caused by running out of a background fabric. Maybe I'll use up some of these scraps this year!

      Delete
  7. Your green stars are lovely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I always enjoy your scrap projects for Oh Scrap.

      Delete
  8. Not sure if it will work with your ruler... but I tend to fold over the strip I use when making my flying geese so that with each cut I get a left and right... might work for yours? Very pretty blocks, by the way. I too love looking at the older books and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deb A! That's a good hint for working with the Tri-Recs rulers. I don't know why I can't remember it all the time! Maybe if I write it down? ...Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Great job on your spikey blocks. Love the color combos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!