Saturday, March 16, 2019

Wearing of the Green

Welcome to the blog!  We're thinking green this week, with St. Patrick's Day coming up, especially since the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is green.  Above is my little buddy in his dinosaur raincoat, growling for the camera.  He seems to think he needs his tongue to stick out when pretending to be a dinosaur.  Don't be scared, if he catches you he won't eat you.  He should be called the Tickle-o-saurus.
More green.  My two zigzag rows for one of my RSC quilts are done,  a study in bright green craziness.
We've got cows, Halloween, minions, dragons, numbers, diaper pins, ants, and lots and lots of dots!  I didn't think I had very much green, but I cut up everything I could find.  It's like Mulligan stew, only quilting.
Now that's done, I can get on with my One Monthly Goal of working with my house blocks.
I had a total of 77 of these blocks when I started, made year before last for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I used 42 of them to make blocks with wild colors, like this (warning, photo is a repeat from last week).
Those 42 blocks are done now, waiting for me to set them together or quilt them separately, maybe starting tomorrow.
What about the rest of the blocks?
I'm participating in the Hands 2 Help Comfort Quilt Challenge of 2019, hosted by Sarah at the blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  Maybe these little house blocks could make quilts for Jack's Basket, a group helping welcome babies with Down's Syndrome, and providing support for parents and family members.
So, I made this top.
I used all of the pink blocks, plus some green and turquoise  and purple, and some of the lighter blocks.
It was hard to get a good picture.  I finally taped it to my kitchen cabinet.

The sashing is made from a paws print, just because kids love animals.  The butterfly print in the corner stones and border is for hope.
Winnie the Pooh is just for love.

Jack's Basket requests quilts that are 36 in. square, so I figured out how to fit my house blocks into that size.  This will work with any 6 in. finished blocks, or even with 6 in. finished squares cut from a cute print.

Here's the pattern.
1.  Make 16 blocks that finish 6 in. square.
2.  Cut 24 sashing rectangles, 2.5 in. x 6.5 in.
3.  Cut 9 squares, 2.5 in., for cornerstones.
4.  Cut 4 width of fabric strips 3.5 in. wide for the borders.
I used the same fabric for cornerstones as for the borders, just to tie this scrappy quilt together, but they could easily be different.  You'll need about half a yard for the border/cornerstones, and less than that for the sashing.

The math works like this:
4 squares per row=24 in. finished
3 sashing strips per row=6 in. finished
2 borders, one one each side=6 in. finshed
Total=36 in.
I could picture a little quilt like this made with stars, or hearts, or nine patches, etc.

That uses up some more of my house blocks.  Nineteen left!

I'm wishing a happy St. Patrick's Day tomorrow for all who celebrate, and good quilting time for us all.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela, at Soscrappy (home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge)
Myra, at Busy Hands Quilts
Cynthia at Oh Scrap








8 comments:

  1. LOVE your bright GREEN Zigzag for the RSC!!! Little Buddy's photo reminds me of DS2 when he was that age (except he thought ALL photo must be taken with a "thumbs up" for the photographer.) Kids are such funny creatures! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Aren't kids the best? You never know what's going to happen next.

      Delete
  2. Those zigzag rows are so much fun! I love how you're including so many fun prints. I love the houses, too - and thanks for doing all the math to get the right size quilt for Jack's Basket. That's who I was wanting to donate to this year also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! I love making baby quilts. And I have all this fun fabric just sitting around waiting!

      Delete
  3. Love the bright green rows! The houses are so sweet and fun. Thanks for the measurements. I’m finishing a Jack’s Basket quilt, but it is rows, however I have many orphan houses and boats, which would be fun to use. Happy St Patrick’s Day from an Irish lass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many happy returns of the day, PaulaB! I love the idea of boats for a child's quilt.

      Delete
  4. Your house blocks are perfect for Jack's Basket. Your colors are so playful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! It has been a joy making these little houses into quilts.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!