Saturday, March 30, 2019

OMG Housing Projects

Thank goodness for the OMG-One Monthly Goal-at Elm Street Quilts.  I thought I might be going out on a limb here (heh heh) when setting the goal for March, but it has worked out in spite of everything.

The Goal--Figure out what to do with 77 cute house blocks I made in 2017 for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  All blocks will be used in some way, and NONE will go into the orphan block bin.  The projects don't have to be finished, but (and I quote)  "every single one of these blocks will have an assigned home by the end of March, including a plan for the quilting."

 The Results
Quilt #1:
This top used 42 of the blocks, surrounded by bright (sometimes crazy bright) 2 in. finished strips.  It measures roughly 60 in. x 70 in.
I'm not going to add a border, but I will probably bind with a solid color (purple?) just to give it a visible edge.  I'm going to do some simple machine quilting, and I have a backing already picked out.  When it's done, it will go to Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo, as part of this year's Hands 2 Help Comfort Quilt Challenge.  (Click HERE for more information.)

Quilts #2 and #3:
These are finished!  I haven't had a finish in a long time, so I'm very happy today.  Both of these are 36 in. square quilts for Jack's Basket, another of the charities supported by this years Hands 2 Help.
I blogged about the pink quilt a couple of weeks ago when I finished the top.  (Click HERE to go there for the pattern for the set.  It will work for any 6 in. finished block to make a 36 in. square quilt.)
Here's the back.  I only had a yard of the pink baby print, and you really need the back to be at least slightly bigger than the front.  So I added a strip of the butterfly print I used in the border.
The second little quilt uses blocks in primary colors, with a border of hot air balloon print.
And I did the same thing as the first quilt on the back of it.  The backing looks like clouds in the sky, so the balloons fit right in.

Okay, time for some math.  Quilt #1=42 blocks, Quilt #2=16 blocks, Quilt #3=16 blocks.  That adds up to 74 blocks.  So there are 3 leftovers.  But none of them are going in the dreaded orphan bin!
These 3 are going to be potholders.  I am trying to get rid of the terrible old potholders in my kitchen drawer, and these will help--as soon as I get them quilted.  I've got batting cut here, but I may rethink it, I've got another wacky idea.  If it works out, I'll let you know!

So that has been my quilting journey through March.  Having a goal in mind really does help get things done.  Who knew?

This week, I'm wishing you the joy of springtime and hope for good days ahead.
Cheers for reading,
 Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal
Confessions of a Fabric Addict (Can I Get A Whoop Whoop)
So scrappy Scrap Happy Saturday
Oh Scrap 














26 comments:

  1. Very cute house quilts and they will make great donation quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sylvia!! You did a great job on using up those quilt blocks. Congratulations on your TWO newly completed quilts! They will be SEW loved by their new families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! It's much easier to finish small things. Now, on to the big ones!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on meeting your One Monthly Goal! Your house block quilts all look terrific, and the potholders are a great way to use up the last few blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Goodness knows, I need some decent potholders.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your lovely house blocks and how you used each block. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I really loved making the little houses, and I'm glad they'll be (eventually!) finished.

      Delete
  5. Love the colours in Quilt #1! It looks so bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Genevieve! I just threw in every eye-popping fabric I had. These blocks were so much fun to sew.

      Delete
  6. I love all three of these pieces, Sylvia! Great job on using all your little houses, especially since you will donate them to H2H charities. I'm inspired by the scrappy bright borders on the big quilt; great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Louise! I'm inspired by all the charity quilts you make all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not one but three! The houses are so cute and really make for a fun and beautiful quilt...or three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne! I had such fun making these blocks and quilts.

      Delete
  9. I love how you've used up your house blocks in 3 different quilts! They are each special! Thanks, too, for the link to your figures on setting the 6 inch blocks to make a 36 inch quilt. That will be really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I hope the set is helpful. I'm working on a couple more.

      Delete
  10. Houses are so easy and fun to make. The balloon quilt is my favorite. When I lived in Washington state we used to have balloons flying over our house. They make a whooshing sound. Go Packers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Go Packers! I might have to hide my potholder from the rest of the family, so they don't take it home! Maybe I should make some for everybody.

      Delete
  11. That came out wonderful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go!! I'm impressed with all the wonderful quilts (and few potholders) and that you didn't even have to go out on a limb. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! And sorry about the "dad joke". Couldn't resist.

      Delete
  13. Such a wonderful array of lovely little house quilts. Only three blocks left, nice new potholders for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two beautiful quilts for a wonderful cause. And I love how you are turning our extra blocks into potholders!

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! And thanks as always for Oh Scrap, and going the extra mile getting up in the middle of the night!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!