Friday, September 29, 2017

Stars and Orange

Happy Friday!  It's a crisp fall day here, but mostly sunny.  This is my Stars in a Time Warp quilt, #1.
I wrote about piecing it HERE.
How new/old does something have to be before it's a UFO?  If it's less than a year, does it still count as a UFO?
I finished this top last February, and it just waited patiently to be quilted.  My friend Joey did the quilting on her long arm.  She did a wonderful Baptist Fan all over design, which she does freehand.  (Joey is amazing.)  All I had to do was make the binding and sew it on.
The backing came from my stash, a nice repro I bought on sale at J. J. Stitches in Sun Prairie.
I really wanted to bind it in red, but I'm trying to give other colors a chance.  This binding is a brown/red paisley print.
Look--orange!  This block has cheddar corners!  I am having a real love affair with orange.
It just so happens orange is the color for September for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
Here's what I've been making for that.
First, the house blocks.
There are 9 of these this month.
Candy corn house, made with fabric given to me by a friend (thanks, Mary Z!)
School bus house.   I think a crazy bus lady lives here, driven nutty by noisy kids.
Party house!
Can you see the sky above this house?  It's from a scrap of Route 66 fabric I got at a flea market.  On the right it says Chicago in orange letters, and on the left is Oklahoma City (mostly caught in the seam allowance).  We live near Chicago, and my mom lives in Oklahoma City, so I just had to use these pieces.
The rest of the houses are tropical, with lots of yummy orange.
Now for the Buckeye Beauty blocks.  I got carried away, and made 11 of them.
This group of 6 fabrics didn't want to play nicely with others, so they are just paired with white.
I think these animals are dogs?  Maybe Corgis?
Halloween fun!
These 5 were more friendly, so I could use 2 prints and white.
Orange fish from a feed sack!
Autumn leaves from a feed sack scrap, plus odd orange shapes in the 4 patches.
I think orange is my new favorite color.
Whatever color is your favorite, I hope you get to sew with it this week.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Today's link ups are:
Busy Hands Quilts
Crazy Mom Quilts
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Rainbow Scrap Challenge
















11 comments:

  1. Today, I went to the beachfront with my children.I foound
    a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
    placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit craqb inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is eentirely off topic but I had to
    tell someone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic orange blocks! And the binding on your quilt finishes it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great orange scraps in your blocks. Hard to pick a favorite house, but the tropical one looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love orange, and especially the rainbow scrap challenge!

      Delete
  4. Crazy bus lady? That was me! I drove the bus to go on field trips and school conventions. Actually it was lots of fun but stressful. An everyday gig? No way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that! I always felt sorry for the bus drivers, even the little kids are so noisy (although cute!) and the drivers have to deal with all sorts of situations. I was the crazy library teacher.

      Delete
  5. Congrats! on a beautiful finish and quite a few ORANGE blocks, too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!