Friday, October 6, 2017

Christmas is Coming

Is anybody ever really ready for Christmas?  We know it's coming, all year long, so how does it manage to sneak up on us? 
At least I've got something done, although this isn't for me.  This is my charity quilt homework from our quilt group.  Nancy P., our fearless leader, made up this kit with directions, and I took it home.
Check out the corners!  There were only 3 fabrics, but Nancy made the most of them by turning the stripes the other direction.
Here's her diagram, liberally scribbled on by me.
It was hard to get a good photo today, it's so dark and gloomy outside.  We had a thunder storm last night and it looks like it could rain any minute.
Here's the back, a Christmas print I bought at an antique store.  The binding is two different prints of a maroon color to go with the red/maroon in the green snowman print.
This quilt finishes at a good size, about 49 x 58, and will probably go to a child as a Christmas gift.  We donate to our local Volunteer Center, and they do the distributions.
So that's got me thinking about Christmas.  I promised my youngest daughter I'd make her a Christmas quilt to replace the one I made for her as a child, which finally wore out.
I got these scrap bags at quilt sales last spring/summer.  The price was right ($1 each!) so let's see what we've got.
Cowabunga!  This is a real big mess. 
I brought down the Christmas yardage too, to help me get ideas.  It's stacked in the background.
Sorting this took forever.  I was actually thinking of leaving it for a while and cleaning the bathrooms instead.  Nevertheless, I persisted.
Here it is, sorted out into something that might be manageable.  The strips on the left are narrow, and I set them aside for string blocks.  There is a long strip of green binding, sewn from several fabrics, plus some commercial binding in the center of the table.  If the strips were a regular size (like 2.5 in., 3.5 in, etc.) I stacked them (on the right).  If not, they went into the wooden bread tray to be pressed and cut.  The bigger pieces got their own pile.
There were LOTS of triangles in several sizes, and a nice stack of 2.5 in. squares.
Now, what am I going to do with this?
What would YOU do?  I would love to know! 
Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Join me at the link ups at
Busy Hands Quilts, Crazy Mom Quilts, and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop!










8 comments:

  1. Love the adorable Christmas quilt finish. I can't believe we're all thinking about Christmas already. It really does seem to sneak up on me more quickly each year. I am not sure what I'd do with all those scraps other than browse some of my patterns for one that is scrap friendly. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Goofin'! I'm having lots of fun looking through scrap quilt patterns. There might be more than one quilt here.

      Delete
  2. YUM!! Christmas dinner and dessert all rolled into one. LOL You are going to have TONS of fun with this Holiday scrappy treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It might seem weird, but I just love buying other people's scraps. You never know what you're going to get.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to seeing what you do with those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you persisted! I would make Dutchman puzzle blocks, with strings set in square-in-a-square as alternate blocks. A78mandel at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, great ideas! I was thinking about the strings, wondering what I could do with them. Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!