Saturday, February 2, 2019

New Month, New Goals, Still Red

Welcome to February!  Around here, we're really glad to see the end of January with its terrible cold.  Thursday morning it was -24 degrees (minus 24!) when I got up.  Right now it's 36 degrees ABOVE ZERO, and it seems like a heat wave.
My goal for the OMG this month is hand quilting this little quilt.  It's made of redwork squares I bought at the Cedarburg Maxwell Street Days flea market several years ago.
I started quilting it in January of 2016 (one hundred years after this block was made!), and kind of ran out of steam.  I have a little arthritis in my hands, which was my excuse for stopping work on it, but I have found that using my hands more actually helps them work better.
Maybe making this my goal will push me to finally get it done.  These little squares deserve to be finished, not just languishing in my closet for another year or two.
In other news, we got a new color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge--yellow!  That should brighten up the sewing room this month!  While I was waiting for the next color to be announced, I quilted last month's blocks (seen above).
I'm doing these quilt-as-you-go style.  It's really easy to quilt one block at a time.  I still need to decide on/find a sashing fabric, but I can do that closer to the end of the year.  The batting is cut from my giant bin of batting scraps.  There will be some hand work on the back to finish the quilt, but I find that kind of pleasant.
Here's the back.  I bought the whole 6 yard bolt of this neutral, and I'm hoping it will be enough.  If not, I'll just make fewer blocks or smaller borders or something.  Yeah, I'm kind of winging it here.
One consequence of the cold weather was less babysitting for me, since my daughter and son-in-law got some days off.  So I finished quilting this top, a small version of Bonnie Hunter's Happily Scrappily Irish.  Bella the dog loves it.
This is the year of trying new things!  My new thing here is hanging diamonds quilting.  Hanging diamonds is a sort of grid, with one set of lines going straight up and down, and a second set of lines going diagonally.  It's a very old style, often seen on antique quilts.  And now on my quilt!
BTW, there are little squares of yellow in almost all the blocks.
I'm not as happy with the border quilting.  I didn't do the best job marking it (ran out of Golden Threads paper and just marked with soap) so it's a tad wobbly.  It's another old fashioned design, a six-strand cable.
Neutral repro back, and red binding, and that's it.  I made the top in the first place to use up my 2 in. wide strips of repro/traditional scraps.  And are they used up?  Well, at least I can close the drawer now.

In 2018, I kept lots of lists of my quilting, just to try to keep my projects on track.  One list was Tops Made, with a place to add the date the top was quilted.  Three twin-sized tops were turned in to the charity committee at my local quilt group to be long arm quilted for folks in need.  The rest were quilted by me, on my lovely Mrs. Pfaff.
This Irish Chain top was the last one to be quilted from that list.  This means that every top I finished last year is now a finished, useful quilt.
Now, what about the backlog?  Maybe there will be some snow days in our future?  (Just kidding, I'm not really wishing for more snow.)
Having thoroughly used red in January, I am looking forward to digging into the yellow scraps this month.
I'm wishing bright scraps and bright thoughts for you this week.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with
Angela at Soscrappy
Patty at Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal
Myra at Busy Hands Quilts 
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop 
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











24 comments:

  1. your red stars are great! and congrats on the hand quilting- i don't do any quilting by hand, but often think fondly of starting something. i like your snippets of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Yellow brightens up everything, I think.

      Delete
  2. Your scrappy Irish Chain is beautiful! I love all the color in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Little Penguin! I love your new sewing room, and your red and gray blocks.

      Delete
  3. Sweet quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts and good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty! It sure is fun to see everybody's goals. Hope we all make it!

      Delete
  4. The Happily Scrappily Irish is a great pattern, I hadn't seen that one before. I love Irish Chains and the scrappy version is nice. There may be one of those in my future. Congratulations on getting all of your 2016 tops finished. It is wonderful of you to give so many to good causes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary R.! I forgot to mention, the pattern is in the book Adventures in Leaders and Enders, by Bonnie Hunter.

      Delete
  5. I love seeing your work - thanks for sharing. We have 2 redwork quilts from 1916 from my grandmother and aunt. One has red sashing and my niece has practically shredded it. I replaced the binding and told her it should live on the back of a chair. Mine does not have sashing and is in great shape. The squares are all signed, and I found most of the names in my aunt's old autograph book and church papers. It's such a treasure - I'm glad you're finishing yours and bringing it to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patricia! Your redwork quilts sound wonderful. I wish my squares were signed, I'd love to know who made them.

      Delete
  6. I really like those star blocks. Can't wait to see them in other colors. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I made yellow stars today. It's yellow everywhere in my sewing room.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on gaining some extra quilting time. Beautiful finish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! Finishes don't come along every day. I'm going to enjoy this one on the couch with a good book.

      Delete
  8. How cool that you found a 100 year old piece to finish up! Now that's an ancient UFO :) And I've never heard of the Happily Scrappily Irish pattern. It's so classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! I'm missing your blog--are you giving it up? Hope not. I love seeing all your quilts for charity.

      Delete
  9. I love your redwork blocks. I am glad that they will be put to a good use of keeping someone warm once you are done with the quilting.

    Your other projects are lovely.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your scrappy Irish Chain! Good job finishing those quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, QuiltGranma! The only thing that's more fun than finishing a quilt is starting a new one!

      Delete
  11. wow an amazing accomplishment to actually finish what you started - congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! I'm afraid it doesn't happen often enough!

      Delete
  12. Your quilts are lovely! I am especially fond of the redwork patches. What a lucky find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love scrappy Irish chains, BRAVO on your finish, the diamonds are lovely and fit the quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!