Thursday, February 28, 2019

OMG I made it!

Woot!  My fingers may be sore, but my redwork quilt is QUILTED!!!  This was my OMG, one monthly goal, for February.
I've been working like crazy on the hand quilting this week.  Yesterday, with the quilting done, I was finally taking out the basting stitches.
Biddy the cat was helping me, as usual.  He's mostly moral support.
I still have a few thread ends to trim.
The back is off-white solid fabric from my vintage bin.
All that's left is the binding, which I'll do this weekend.  Thank goodness I didn't make that part of the goal!  I managed to find enough of the original red fabric to bind with, which is almost a miracle.  This project has been hanging fire for more than 3 years!
If it wasn't for the OMG, I wouldn't have gotten this done.  Many, many thanks to Patty at Elm Street Quilts, where I'm linking up today.
Happy dancing all day long today!







14 comments:

  1. I love your redwork! And you hand-quilted it? Truly, OMG! What kind of thread did you use for the redwork?
    I know what you mean about OMG goals - I have done a lot more because of it. It's good to be accountable!
    Are you on Instagram? I'm TxQuiltGal on IG and have seen a Biddy the cat on one of the accounts I follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! The redwork squares were done in 1916, by an unknown quilter. I bought them at a flea market, then set them together. I think the stitching is just red embroidery floss. I'm not on Instagram, how cool that there's another Biddy out there!

      Delete
  2. Just a beautiful finish--lovely redwork hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool!! Yay for the hand quilting finish! (I really need to do a hand quilted project for myself. . .) So great that there's enough of the red for your binding, and Biddy is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynette! I started out hand quilting, but I don't do much of it anymore. Maybe I'll do another quilt or two, as long as my Little Buddy takes an afternoon nap.

      Delete
  4. Looks gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! Congratulations on your finish. Nice to see hand quilting still being done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Auntie Em! It's been years since I've done much hand quilting. I'm glad to get back into it.

      Delete
  6. Yay!! It's gorgeous, Sylvia! What are your plans for this beautiful piece? Will you keep it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! Yes, I think I'll keep it. With the age of the blocks, it's going to need careful use. I have seen so many embroidered quilts ruined from being washed too much in the washing machine. Maybe after I'm gone my kids can sell it or donate it to a museum.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!