Saturday, June 1, 2019

Suddenly, It's Summer

Hello, and welcome to Treadlestitches!
Those of us who love the Rainbow Scrap Challenge are saying goodbye to the color orange today, and it just worked out that I finished this little quilt in time for the blog.  It's not totally orange, but orange is a color that just leaps out at you.  In a good way.
One of my friends on the Charity Quilt Committee gave me the squares of construction vehicle print from the charity stash to make a small quilt.  I used scraps of yellow and orange from my scrap user bins to sew the 4 patches for a very simple design.
Check out the back!  I didn't know this fabric was readily available at the local chain store until I went looking for something else.
I hardly ever use black in children's quilts (just a hang up I have) but this time it really went with the print.  The inner border is cobbled together from a fat quarter, and the binding is something I've had forever.
The quilt will go to a child who needs it.
I mailed off the quilts for the Hands 2 Help project on Thursday.  There are six baby quilts in this box!  I couldn't figure out how to get them all in there, until I remembered Marie Kondo's way of folding shirts.  It worked!  And it saved me having to scrounge up another box or two.  This lady is a genius.  I should send her a thank you note.

In other news, we got the garden in finally.  My very dear hubby made the frame for the raised bed and hauled bag after bag of raised bed soil in the wheel barrow.  Since it's so late in the season, we bought plants instead of seed.
Here's our garden helper.  (Or maybe our garden elf?)
This is the view at the local greenhouse.  We took Little Buddy on a "field trip" here to get the plants. 
The rhubarb grew very well this year, with all the rain we've had.  Little Buddy "helped" me cut it, and  it's still sitting here on the table, waiting for me to deal with it this morning.  There is a small canning job in my future.  And maybe a pie, if Hubby is willing to set aside his diet for a bit.

Yesterday's weather was what I think of as perfect, 82 degrees and sunny, with a slight breeze.  I hung the sheets on the line, worked outside a bit, went to the playground with Little Buddy, and after lunch we went out on the porch barefoot and had a popsicle.  Today's weather is not so perfect, but it's a reminder to enjoy what we have when we have it.

This week, I'm hoping you have time to smell the roses.  Or the rhubarb.

Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at So scrappy
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











11 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you had a breeze to go with your warmth, as all we had was humidity!! Your little Construction quilt turned out SEW cute. Great use of some ORANGE scraps, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joyful! Sorry about your humidity. I grew up in the Ohio Valley, and that's what our summers were like there. Very sticky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful comfort quilt! a simply yet beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! I like to keep it simple for these little quilts. (By the way, to me KISS means Keep It Simple Sweetie.)

      Delete
  4. The orange and yellow 4 patches are just perfect with the construction fabric! What a great little quilt - someone's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I'm starting to think orange is my new favorite color.

      Delete
  5. Very fun donation quilt Sylvia. Someone is going to love the neck out of it. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! And thanks, as always, for Oh Scrap.

      Delete
  6. That's a very cute quilt and looks relatively easy. Beautiful bright colours bound to bring a smile to a child's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! It's definitely easy--just 10 squares cut 6.5 in. of the construction vehicles, plus 10 four patch blocks also measuring 6 in. finished, plus borders.

      Delete
  7. The construction vehicle quilt is adorable and really did need that touch of black. I love how the quilt design let the print shine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!