Saturday, October 12, 2019

For the Children

I love making things for kids, so this was a very good week.  It feels good to finish projects, even small ones, like the dinosaur pillowcase I finally made for my grandson, to go with his dinosaur quilt.
Isn't this cute fabric?  I was pointing out different kinds of dinosaurs in the print to my Little Buddy, but I got the T. Rex wrong.  "No, that's a raptor," he said, and showed me which one really was the T. Rex.  He should know, it's his very favorite dino. 
He also loves Daniel Tiger, so I made this pillowcase to put on when the dino one is in the wash.
At naptime on Monday, I got the finishing touches done on the baby sweater for my daughter's friend's new baby.  The knitting was all done,  I just had to sew on the buttons and the little applique.
I've had this duckie applique in my stash since my own kids were little!  It was a sew-on applique, not an iron-on, and somehow I just never got around to using it.
Click HERE for the sweater pattern.  It's knit from the top down, and is seamless.  I didn't follow the pattern exactly for the number of rows, etc., just used experience and common sense.  My way makes a size 3-6 months.
The baby shower is later today, so that was motivating me to wrap it up (yes, literally).

My last project is this little quilt.
I was inspired to make it by quilts I saw on the Sew Preeti Quilts blog.  (Click HERE for the specific post.)  Preeti made six quilts to send to the Socorro Foundation in Texas, which helps families released from federal agencies.  Her post was very moving.
The quilts will be used at the shelter and washed frequently, so they need to be sturdy.  There is a list of specific requirements and sizes HERE.
Isn't this animal print a hoot?  I had two fat quarters of it, and nearly used up every scrap.  I bought the fat quarters (at a highly discounted price!) from a friend of a friend who was destashing.
The small scraps for the nine patch blocks came from this bag.  It was stuffed full of 2 in. bright strips when I started cutting.  Since it's more efficient to cut several quilts at once, I cut pieces for two more quilts while I was at it.  Do you think there's enough for yet one more?  If not, no worries, there might be more fabric around here somewhere.
Thursday morning we took Little Buddy and went to Holy Hill Basilica and National Shrine, which is in a nearby town.  The church complex overlooks the surrounding woods and farmland, and it's a great place to see the changing colors of the leaves.
The sky was a little overcast, but the view was still amazing.  I took these photos from the tower, which you are allowed to climb in good weather.
Sights like these help me to remember to live my values every day.

Have a wonderful week, and thanks for reading.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Angela at So Scrappy
Alycia at Alycia Quilts 
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
















18 comments:

  1. Great dinosaur quilt and pillowcase, and I love the donation quilt you made--adorable fabric!
    The photos at Holy Hill are great! I used to live in Milwaukee and loved visiting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! How neat that you used to live in Milwaukee. We try to go up to Holy Hill at least once during the fall. It's such a beautiful, peaceful place.

      Delete
  2. You made a nice dent in that scrap bag, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine how much Little Buddy loves his dino quilt & pillowcase. The little sweater is beautiful. I'd love to knit one myself but I don't know how to enlarge on my own. Good thing I've got a few go-tos myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susie H! I guess all of us who knit have our favorite patterns for most things. Once in a while I try something new, but I tend to go back to the tried and true.

      Delete
  4. "There might be more fabric around here" made me laugh! :D I really like how your nine patches with the focal fabric turned out. It's inspiring me to use some of my already-made nine patches, so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! You're welcome! I love what you've done with those Covered In Love orphan blocks. Plaids and panels! I might have some of those around here too.

      Delete
  5. Your Little Buddy reminds me of my youngest son, who is 35 now. He, too, would know the difference between a raptor and a T Rex! That is a fun quilt for him, and I love the matching pillowcase, too. You make the sweetest donation quilts - so many good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Isn't it amazing how kids love these scary creatures? Little Buddy still has trouble pronouncing some of them. He says "tricera-pops" instead of triceratops. But he knows they get eaten by the T. Rex!

      Delete
  6. Your scrap quilt is wonderful and bright. I know it will be much loved and appreciated. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia, and thanks as always for Oh Scrap. You throw such a good party every week!

      Delete
  7. Adorable dinos, a darling sweater and a very fun quilt. I am sure it will be loved. Thank you for the shout-out. Big Hugs to You!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Preeti! And hugs right back to you! Your blog is an absolute joy.

      Delete
  8. The 9 patch quilt looks so fun and happy with the bright animal fabric. Preeti's post inspired me too, but my quilts are still at the flimsy stage waiting to be quilted and bound.
    The baby sweater is lovely. What luck to find the perfect applique just waiting to be attached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KatieQ! I hope the baby's parents like the sweater. I'll be making another one soon for a new grandchild we're expecting--just waiting to find out if I should dig out blue or pink yarn.

      Delete
  9. your projects are so cute!! and I love the dinosaur print!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Didn't see your comment sooner. Thanks, Alycia! Dinosaurs are pretty popular in our house.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!