Saturday, October 26, 2019

Treadling A Rainbow

It's a beautiful Saturday morning, just right for treadling a rainbow--a Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt.
I'm finally putting my zigzag quilts together!  There will be two of these quilts, and this is the first.
There are eight rows in this quilt, and I'm setting them with a 2 in. sashing strip between each row.  The quilt needed to be a little longer, so this is what I thought of.
It adds a little more light space between each color, but kind of blends in to the white triangles.
You can see better with a close up. 
The second quilt will be set row to row.  Wonder which one I'll like best.
This is the fun fabric in the sashing strips.  It's some of the "loot" I got at Quilt Expo last month.  It never hurts to buy light fabric, especially when it's this cute.
Here's the other project I'm using as Leaders and Enders.  It's just a little squirrel, that came in out of the cold.
The pattern is Three Patch Chain, by Kim Brackett.  (I really love her books.)
It's the first quilt in this book, Scrap Basket Bounty.  The pattern is great.  I especially like the accurate pressing instructions, which make it easier to piece than it looks.
This is 8 blocks on my flannel wall.  All the pieces are scraps from my "collection".  My plan is to make a baby quilt for Jack's Basket from these.
We took Little Buddy to the orchard last week, to get apples.  I bet you can guess what he liked the best.  (Hint--it's big and green and makes lots of noise.)  He dragged me out of the apple barn to take his picture here.
The kitchen is just full of apple goodness.  We bought Honey Crisps for eating, and the big Cortlands are for the applesauce I'm going to make this afternoon.  We got pears, too, and cider.
It's Halloween next week!  I'm sure these dudes want to wish you a Happy Halloween.  Oh, and to remind you to protect your hearing, and wear warm hats.  (They might want to remind me not to eat all the chocolate Halloween candy, too.)

Have a great week!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Angela at SoScrappy
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Cynthia at Oh Scrap (on Sunday)
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

























30 comments:

  1. I love your zigzag quilt! It is so bright and cheery, and you have a fantastic collection of fun prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I just cannot quit these novelty prints!

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun! I LOVE your treadle machine...I think those are lotus decals?
    So beautiful! And that it is getting to sew this wonderful rainbow quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Quilter Kathy! You're right, those are lotus decals on my Singer 66. She's my go-to machine for piecing. We were both really happy piecing this rainbow quilt.

      Delete
  3. sashing strips is a perfect solution for your zig zag quilt. I have one in the works this year too, just a little different. but aren't they fun and so easy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kat! It has been so much fun making these zigzag rows this year for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. No stress, and lots of colorful scraps.

      Delete
  4. Your zigzag quilt projects are just delightful, Sylvia! I had to zoom in and look at your fun background fabrics - I love all those lights with cute prints on them. I think you must have the best scraps! :) Your new project looks like a neat design, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! We are so lucky to have access to so many wonderful fabrics.

      Delete
  5. Me too! I love your zigzag rainbow. The spacer between each color is a very good idea. It gives the zigzags some elbow space. Love the fabric you got to do the job. Little Buddy is just so adorable. Little boys and big toys bring back lots of memory to me. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I wasn't sure the spacer thing was going to work, but I've decided I actually like it now that it's done.

      Delete
  6. I always love a beautiful chevron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I can't stop making them. Maybe I need an intervention or something.

      Delete
  7. I really like the prints in your zigzags

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! The best part of piecing them is choosing the fabrics.

      Delete
  8. Your Zig=Zags are just so pretty--Love the white prints backgrounds..nice work...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I seem to have lots fewer lights than darks in my stash, so I'm always on the lookout for cute ones.

      Delete
  9. Those Zig-Zags are beautiful!!! I think the added sashing strips were exactly the right touch! Looking forward to seeing the second one. You've got another cute quilt coming along with those scraps. I think that would be a great leader & ender quilt. I just put in a request from my library for the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! I hope you like the book. Aren't libraries great?

      Delete
  10. Beautiful zig zag quilts. Boys and tractors.... my son loved them too (still does!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb A! Little Buddy's great-grandfather was a farmer, who had a barn full of tractors and other farm machinery. I think seeing that as a little bitty guy got him started.

      Delete
  11. I really like the extra row of sashing in your zig zags! Really makes each row stand out. And you're so right about the usefulness of cute light neutrals! I'm running low right now; gotta fix that :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Little Buddy knows where the cool things are!! Both quilts are really great - I like the added strip of white to make the quilt longer - it blends right in! Your scrappy quilt is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! And thanks again for Finished or Not Finished Friday.

      Delete
  13. I love your collection of colorful white prints. They are perfect for rainbow quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your RSC quilt is so bright and happy. Great finish. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really liking this chevron quilt with the strips between. It's such a light quilt. You definitely made the right decision for this quilt. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!