Friday, November 1, 2019

Happy Trails

Hello from snowy Wisconsin!  This was officially the snowiest Halloween on record here.
Here's the view out my front door Thursday morning.
And out back.  Little Buddy's chair and tractor were practically buried.
But his snowsuit still fits!  So we went out for a little while.  Honestly, I am not a fan of playing in the snow.  I'd rather quilt!
This is what I was doing Sunday--marking the border on my Wagon Trail quilt.  I cut and marked the Golden Threads paper with a stencil, and pinned it on.
Doing this is well, a pain.  It reminds me of painting a bedroom.  The prep work takes way more time than the actual painting.  Getting this border ready to quilt took forever, but the quilting was relatively quick and easy.
And now it's done!  It's quilted and bound, and on the bed.
I started this quilt in January of 2018, as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt, using my 1800s reproduction fabrics.  (Click HERE for the first post.)
The quilt was made in two sections, quilted separately.  I had been procrastinating on the quilting, ever since I finished the sections and joined them.  I was afraid the motifs in the middle would be very tough to quilt on my domestic machine, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.
The binding is a black and brown plaid, and came from my stash.  I sewed it on by machine, which is a thing I do now.
So that's that.  It's a big one, 89 in. x 99 in.  Another quilt done, courtesy of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I think I'll call it Happy Trails.  If you're as old as I am, you might hear Roy Rogers and Dale Evans singing right about now.
In other news, applesauce.
From a half bushel of Cortland apples, I got 17 pints of applesauce.  They're made from local apples, local honey, and cinnamon from far, far away.
I'm using the cores to make vinegar again.  Doesn't this look fancy?  The rag I have covering the crock is part of an old pillowcase.
Here's what it looks like inside.  In a few weeks, it'll be vinegar.
Last week's zigzag quilt posed on Little Buddy's nap bed.  After lots of ripping and re-pinning, I got the rows to line up right.  Now I just need to quilt it!

Happy November to everyone this week.  Let's stay warm and quilt!
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop 
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 
















30 comments:

  1. Your snowstorm visited us as high winds and rain--our power went off at 1:45 a.m. We started up our generator at 6 am --so far our whole area has trees downed everywhere--Hello November!! hope this is not a preview of this coming winter...

    Lovely zig-zag quilt--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. We used to make up about 100-120 quarts of applesauce every year when we had lots of apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 120 quarts?!! I can't even imagine it! I used to put up two bushels of apples every fall, one for pie apples and one for applesauce, but I never came close to even 100 jars.
      Happy Trails to you, Chris!

      Delete
  3. I like Happy Trails!!! and yummm applesauce!! Love it - Little Buddy looks ready to play in the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alycia! Little Buddy LOVES the snow. He cried when our Tuesday snow melted away, but Thursday he was happy again. Me, not so much.

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see your finished quilt from RSC. My favorite is the chevron in rainbow colours, just makes my heart sing! I have never made my own vinegar, so will be interested to see what the next step is? Does it matter what type of apples they are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue! Any kind of apples will work to make vinegar. I think you can use other fruits too. Here's a link to my very brief instructions:
      http://treadlestitches.blogspot.com/2017/10/apples-cats-and-quilts.html
      It's easy and thrifty, so of course I like it!

      Delete
  5. Happy Trails turned out great! Congrats on one completed RSC quilt and another in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love that fancy cable quilting in the borders! What a super finish, Sylvia. I've enjoyed watching you put this together over all these many months :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! I really enjoyed making these blocks every month, pulling out scraps and deciding which ones to use. Isn't the Rainbow Scrap Challenge fun?

      Delete
  7. Your Wagon Trail quilt is lovely! Congratulations on your finish! We had snow on Halloween, too, but no cute little boy to play with in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I wonder if this means we won't have snow on Christmas? Or maybe we'll have extra? It's been a weird weather year.

      Delete
  8. The happy trails looks happy on your bed! Great job finishing up your RSC quilt. Looking forward to seeing zig zag quilt as a finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I'm looking forward to a finished zigzag too!

      Delete
  9. Your quilting on your Happy Trails quilt is perfect. The quilt looks great on your bed. And your zig zag quilt is so lovely with all the bright colours.

    Looking at your pictures of the apple sauce I could almost smell it's wonderful scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne, you are too kind. I wish I could share some applesauce with you.

      Delete
  10. I definitely heard Roy Rogers & Dale Evans singing under the stars while sitting on your Happy Trails quilt! Zig Zag looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! I've been singing that song all weekend!

      Delete
  11. That looks like the Halloweens we had when I was living in Vermont! All the kids' costumes had to be big enough to be worn over a snowsuit!
    Both your RSC quilts are wonderful! Isn't it fun this time of year watching everyone wrapping up their projects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gayle! I agree, one of the best things about the RSC has been seeing all the great blocks and quilts people are making all year, and then seeing lots of them finished!

      Delete
  12. Oh my! All that snow. We won't get that much if you add snow from all the snow days together. Still, it was a chilly 60 degrees.
    Happy to see another beautiful finish from you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Wisconsin is a whole nother climate. When we moved here from Ohio, they told us they only close schools for 12 in. of snow or more. Twelve inches of snow! I was just about ready to move back! But we've gotten used to it. Except not on Halloween.

      Delete
  13. You did a great quilting job on Happy Trails to you until we meet again.... yep I have that song in my ear now. YUCK on the snow. We don't usually get snow south of DC in early November. There was a brief period calling for snow this coming Friday but I think that's been overruled! Thank goodness. Your apple sauce looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I wish I could share some apple sauce with you!

      Delete
  14. Love your Wagon Trails/Happy Trails quilt. Where could I find the pattern for the block? Until we meet again... er for the first time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, QuiltGranma! I got the pattern from the book Classic and Heirloom Quilts, by Betsy Chutchian. Here's the link to my first post on this quilt: http://treadlestitches.blogspot.com/2018/01/christmas-red-and-ice-blue.html

      Delete
  15. Snowiest Halloween here in northeasternmost Illinois, too. Love, love the scrappy zigzags. I think your design is giving me an idea . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nann! My oldest daughter lives in Kenosha, so not too far from you, I bet. Sometimes they get more snow than we do!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!