Saturday, February 22, 2020

Cut, Sew, Quilt!

Good morning, and welcome to Treadlestitches!  I thought I'd take a picture of our snow this morning, since we might get up above freezing today.  Let the melting begin!  Really, it's not too bad for this time of year.  The driveway is clear, and the snow piles along the driveway are only about 2 feet high.
I got some feedsacks cut for the quilt show booth next Saturday--4 charm packs (with 20 squares each) and 10 fat quarters.  That handy dandy gadget in the photo is a pinker, and works like pinking shears, only with a crank.  I have used it for fabric, but I used it here just for the price labels.  My little buddy and I had some fun with it cutting up paper.
Cutting done--on to the sewing!  My Text Me A Quilt blocks are done for February.  I can't believe how much I love orange.
I'm testing out different layouts as I make the blocks.  (I'll bet you do that, too!)
I seemed to have two kinds of orange in my scraps--bright orange and a more "pumpkin-y" orange.  The print with the triangles came from a scrap I picked up on the free table at a guild meeting.
When my Little Buddy saw this block, he said, "You've got minions!"  It prompted me to imagine a roomful of these little guys waiting for my instructions to take over the world.  No thank you, not interested in world domination, but it would be great to have them for a cleaning crew.  I could pay them in bananas.
And now for a little quilting.  I've had these tractor scraps for a long time, trying to figure out what to do with them.  I finally put two kinds of farming/tractor scraps together for this little quilt.
The green strips frame squares cut from a fabric I found in an antique mall.  The red frames surround squares cut from a farm print.  The green tractors are John Deere, the red ones are Case.
I'm not sure this was the best use of color.  The red is so strong.  While each frame goes with its own block, I don't think the two colors work well together.  Oh, well.  It is what it is.
I love the tractor fabric on the border.  Good news, I have lots of it left!
The green print is from the 2018 Wisconsin Quilt Shop Hop, and is just the names of Wisconsin towns and cities with quilt shops in the hop.  My local shop is in Richfield.
I think I like the back better than the front!  This John Deere fabric was sent to me by Beth, a generous blog reader.  Thanks, Beth!
This little tractor quilt measures 36 in. x 36 in., and so would be suitable for Jack's Basket.  I'm going to think about it a little while.  With all the Wisconsin connections here, it might need to be donated to someone local.
I hope you're having a lovely day today.  And every day!
Thanks for reading.

Linking up with:
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Angela at So Scrappy
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
















21 comments:

  1. Your "Text me a Quilt" blocks are really neat ones, and they do look like there are many fun layout possibilities! I love the little tractor quilt, too - someone's going to really get some fun out of that one, wherever you decide to donate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Blocks with a diagonal always catch my eye. There are so many ways to arrange them.

      Delete
  2. Perfect pairing for making that little Tractor quilt and what a fabulous selection of ORANGE scraps you found for your Text Me a Quilt blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I need to find a little farmer baby for the tractor quilt.

      Delete
  3. I love your tractor quilt and I am sure a small child somewhere is going to as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I guess I shouldn't stress out over how perfect a baby quilt is, considering the use it's going to get!

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely little tractor quilt, will certainly make a little boyband his Mum very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet finish on the tractor quilt! And your two kinds of orange look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your orange blocks too - and the little minions.... teach them to cook!! ha ha!! Your tractor quilt is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a crank pinker before. Guess I never even knew they existed.

    Lovely little quilt finish. I like the tractor theme. I live out in the country in Iowa and I'll soon, I hope, be seeing tractors drive up and down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I never knew they existed either until I found one. I also have a pinking attachment for my treadle. I'm not sure why I would need to do an industrial amount of pinking, but if the need arises, I'm ready!

      Delete
  8. What pretty orange blocks those are! My oranges tend toward light or dark, so it's always fun to see what is in another's scrap bin. I love your tractor quilt and the back is just perfect.
    Your snow piles make me homesick for central Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I always love everybody else's scraps. My mom lives in Oklahoma City. It should be getting warm out there real soon.

      Delete
  9. I love your orange blocks! My eye went right to the Minions. You could ask them to pink all your fabric! The tractor quilt is super cute. We usually only see red and green together at Christmas, so I think our eyes aren't used to it in other contexts. Opposites on the color wheel always make a big, bold statement, perfect for a child :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! You are very kind about the tractor quilt. I have never been especially friendly with the color wheel. Maybe it's time to give it another try. BTW, I've finally got an idea for a Wrap a Smile quilt.

      Delete
  10. I agree with everyone here! Any little will love the red and the tractors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! Tractors are a big thing around here. I don't know who loves them more, little kids or grown men!

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you were able to use the tractor fabric! What a great quilt!
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!