Saturday, February 29, 2020

Orange Orphan

Happy Leap Day, everyone!  And welcome to Treadlestitches.  It's the last day of February, of course, and it's also the end of orange month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so it was a good time for me to finish up this little orphan block quilt.
Last year, our guild had a block of the month mystery quilt, presented by our own Pam W.  The theme was friendship, and each month, Pam would give us a block pattern variation on Friendship Star.
I started out making my blocks with vintage, feedsack, and reproduction fabrics, mostly in reds and blues.  Because this particular block pattern was handed out in October, I went nuts and made it in orange and green Halloween prints.  It did not play well with the others, so I set it aside and made another block in red and blue.  (I'm quilting that quilt now, and hope to have it done next month.)
To finish off this orange orphan block, I added a double row of 2.5 in. (cut) squares, again using vintage, feedsacks, and repro fabrics.  Some of these had come out to play recently in my house blocks.  I bound it with a solid orange from my basement "collection".
Isn't this back wild?  It's a vintage fabric, and was made into a curtain when I found it at a flea market.  I'm guessing 1930s to 1940s for when it was originally printed.
Here's the curtain.  It was sewn nicely at the top, but not hemmed, and had little or no wear.  I wonder if it was ever used.  I also wonder what it would have looked like as a curtain.  It would certainly add some color to a room.
I have this little wooden quilt hanger in my dining room, and I would like to have more quilts to hang here so I can change them out with the seasons and holidays.  When I got this quilt finished, I just couldn't wait til October to hang it up and see what it looks like.  So this is a preview.  I'll put it away now and put up some spring quilts.
Hurray, one less orphan block.
In other news:
My Little Buddy asked me to take his picture.  He's sitting in the toy dinosaurs bin, and holding one of his favorite T. Rex dinosaurs.  I want to give him lots of attention now.  He's getting a baby brother no later than next Saturday.
We were finger painting this week.  At first he would just put two blobs of paint on a page and say he was done.  We progressed to making this masterpiece together.
What do you think of this paper towel?  I really love the "quilting"!
The joy of quilting is everywhere.

I'm going to a quilt show today, the first of the season here, so I had better get going.  I'm wishing the joys of quilting for you this week--viewing, touching (only NOT at the quilt show!), and creating.
Cheers for reading,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
Angela at So Scrappy (Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge)
Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday
Cynthia at Oh Scrap











11 comments:

  1. That is a great little orphan block mini to finish out February, Sylvia! I think it's fun to make seasonal quilted things to display around the house. Hope you enjoyed the quilt show today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! The quilt show was wonderful, and so were the vendors. Woohoo!

      Delete
  2. Love your mini quilt. But you need to put it away now because I don't want Halloween already. I want Spring! :^D Love the fabric on the back too. Great find at the thrift store. Enjoy special moment with the grandchild. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I agree, fall is fun, but let's don't skip over spring and summer. I can hardly wait for the snow to melt.

      Delete
  3. I don't blame you for previewing that sweet mini (or for giving Little Buddy some extra attention advance of his promotion to Big Brother!!) Best of luck to the expectant mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! It's a very exciting time for all of us.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful finish for an orphan blocks. I love that curtain fabric - what a find. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I'm amazed at all the variety in vintage fabrics.

      Delete
  5. Cute finish!! and amazing back fabric!! and oh boy - you have a heartbreaker on your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your orphan block finish. It's cheerful and adorable and it's FINISHED! Buddy sure is adorable with his dinosaurs. Hope you were able to enjoy the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute little mini quilt, Sylvia! I really like the curtain fabric used as the backing. You're right that they would have certainly brightened up a room. You're such a loving Grandma, making sure Buddy knows how special he is. Sharing the spotlight with a new sibling can be hard at that age :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!