Saturday, April 24, 2021

On the Bright Side

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Like most (all?) quilters, I have a fabric stash.  It is large.  (How large?  I can't say.)  And  I have been pretty good about using it during the last year.  I went to the chain store for thread and basting spray, but I pulled fabrics from my stash for all my quilts.

That's about to change.

I am so grateful to be fully vaccinated.  It means I can go back to the quilt store!  And since I hadn't been there in a whole year, it felt okay to spend more than usual.  This is my loot:  10 yards of fabric (!) and a bag of scraps from their bin.  

Did you notice?  All the fabrics are brights or bright on white, except for one Civil War print.  I keep thinking I'll stop buying the Civil War stuff, but I just can't quit it.

Here's the stuff in the scrap bag.  Why are other people's scraps are so intriguing?

While looking through my stash before I went to the quilt store, I came across this cute print.  I don't know if the little creatures are monsters or aliens, but they are really cheerful.  I put this simple top together this week so I could finally use them.

For the border, I used one of the new fabrics from the quilt shop.


Here's the little top, 36 in. x 42 in.  All the pieces are cut from 3.5 in. strips.  Quilting this baby quilt will go on my weekend to-do list.  It will be donated to Little Lambs, as part of Hands2Help 2021.

So what about the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for the week?  Bright colors again, in these Happy Blocks.  The centers are light or bright blue novelty prints, and the frames are colors that contrast, in calmer prints. 

Does this remind you of yellow month?  The frame color tends to dominate the block.
 

These centers just looked better with darker blue strips.  The darkest colored fabric came from the scrap bag I bought at the quilt store.

The green batik around the duckie block is also from the quilt store scrap bag.

Red was really the only color that went with these blue squares.  But I didn't have very many choices of non-novelty red prints, as you can see.  Guess that means another trip to the store!

Last Sunday, my husband and I went antiquing for the first time since the pandemic.  We still wore masks, and we ate in the car, so not the same as before, but we had so much fun anyway.

Look what I bought!  This is the pile after I washed, dried, and folded it.  All of these fabrics are 100% cotton, and most are several yards long.  There are 3 yards of the John Deere fabric.  In all, I got 27 yards of fabric for an average of $2 per yard (!). These will make some nice borders and backs and other pieces for charity quilts. 

Baby Buddy and I were able to go to the park yesterday morning while Little Buddy was at preschool.  He's pointing at some Canadian geese.  The weather has been weird as always this week.  On Wednesday, snow poured out of the sky off and on.  Luckily it didn't stick.

Little Buddy hasn't wanted his picture taken much.  He was okay with me taking this shot of him playing with his dinosaur.  I'm not sure what he's feeding it, just hope it isn't Daniel Tiger.  I know it's pretend, but it just seems wrong.

I hope things are bright in your world this week.

Thanks for reading!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Need a brightener?  Check out these linky parties!

Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
Cynthia at Oh Scrap








27 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you could go to the quilt shop and antiquing again, Sylvia! It's fun to stock up your stash again. Your bright blue scrappy quilt and blocks are so happy! I think T-Rex and Little Buddy are just learning about the food chain! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! It feels good to be venturing out into the world again. And acquiring new stash!

      Delete
  2. You got to the quilt store and antique? Wow! Nice stash that followed you home. Thank goodness for quilt fabric stash we have. It has been a great place to shop and to keep our mental health in good balance. Only one question remains: How much fabric did quilters collectively used since the world went into lockdown last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know the answer to that question! You are right, our stash has been a great help to us during this time. I had no idea I was stocking up for a pandemic!

      Delete
  3. It is better than Christmas when I can find cast off fabric and someone else's scrapbags

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you really scored big this week. I love all your bright fabrics -- especially the blue and lime green. And, Happy Blocks are my go to block for all the kid's quilts I make. It's dawned on me that I need to quit buying novelty fabric and start using some of what I have. But then I would probably need to find go with fabrics! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bonnie! It's nice to know other quilters like novelty prints as much as I do. And happy blocks are great fun.

      Delete
  5. Wow Sylvia, I am really glad you are full vacineted. Today I had my fisrt shot. You made a lovely quilt and beautiful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on getting your first shot! I am so happy for you!

      Delete
  6. Shopping sewing, and playing in your Light/Bright BLUE scraps sounds like the recipe for a wonderful week, Sylvia!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You obviously enjoyed your two outings, both very productive too! Love the little Monster/Alien quilt, so effective. The Happy blocks are great, I think you have another quilt there, ready to be sewn up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm not sure if I should start putting some of these blocks together, or wait til I've sewn all the RSC colors. I should have enough for several small quilts.

      Delete
  8. I can just see a small child all snuggly in your fun scrap quilt! We sure look at doing things out and about all different these days don't we. What a great haul of fabrics you brought home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vicki! Things are so weird since the pandemic, but we're trying to do "normal" things, a little at a time. I was so lucky to find fabric. Sometimes there isn't any all day.

      Delete
  9. What a score of stash building! Your monster print sure worked well into that baby quilt! It is good to hear when people venture into what they "used" to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Terry! It's a little scary, venturing out after all this time, but we're trying to safely do at least some of our favorite activities.

      Delete
  10. I love that you were able to get out and help stimulate the economy!! haha!! What a great baby quilt! and so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the economy, that's the ticket! Thanks, Alycia.

      Delete
  11. I think every quilter can use a bit of retail therapy after the last year! Love all your happy blocks and the quilt top is cute too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! Retail therapy--love it! I hope it doesn't take the rest of my life to sew all this up!

      Delete
  12. There's something special about new fabric, even when it is someone else's old fabric! You'll use all those brights up, I know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! New old fabric is awesome. And it's a fun kind of recycling!

      Delete
  13. Feeding him Daniel Tiger - haha! What a boy thing to do! I miss my boys being little and doing silly things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boys are amazing, in every sense of the word. And a little scary.

      Delete
  14. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What’s app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Facebook page Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!