Saturday, October 2, 2021

Plus Signs, and Signs of Fall

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Fall is starting out here with beautiful weather, and we've been enjoying it all we can.  (We know a Wisconsin winter is coming!)  My grandson Baby Buddy and I go to the park nearly every day, where I took this picture.  These leaves will soon be a bright yellow, but for now they are several shades of light green, like the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.

Hubby and I love big outdoor flea markets, even when we don't buy anything.  The last one is at the end of September, and is a sure sign of fall approaching.  We went last Sunday, and I was so tempted by this gorgeous fiddlebase Singer sewing machine.  The decals are one of the unusual patterns, and the serial number indicated it was made before 1900.  It had been electrified at a much later date.  I drooled over it for a while, but didn't even ask how much they wanted for it.  I'm not collecting anymore, I'm just enjoying what I have.  (Or at least that's what I keep telling myself!)

I almost passed by this battered old quilt, but then I took a look at how it was made.  It's kind of a 1930s crumb quilt.  Random scrap pieces are sewn into rectangles approximately 4 in. x 8 in., and then separated by plain strips of the same size.  Hmm.  This might be a fun technique to try.

In the end, this is what I bought at the flea market:  4 fat quarters (for $6 total), a pattern for making sewing accessories, and 4 cookie cookbooks.

Back home again, I finished two more little quilts.  These use the plus blocks I've been making since January.  The quilt above uses blocks in bright colors.


When I saw this light fabric with the mathematical symbols on it at the local quilt shop, I knew it would be fun to use with the plus blocks.  

The backing is the last big piece I had of this dinosaur fabric.  The cornerstones and binding were part of the loot I got at the quilt museum sale in June.

Here's the second plus quilt, which uses mostly pastel colored blocks, including pink.


The sashing this time has lots of colorful dots.  I got scraps of this cupcake fabric at a quilt show years ago.

The back is an Easter print (adorable bunnies!) and a strip of aqua to make it big enough.

This border fabric may look familiar.  I have been using it for literally years.  It came from a bag I bought at Goodwill.  There were 6 yards of the butterfly fabric, 10 yards of a coordinating fabric, and some blanket and sheet scraps.  I buy fabric EVERYWHERE.

The quilting I'm doing on these little donation quilts is very simple and quick.  I may branch out a little to keep it from being boring, but a 2 in. grid will help the quilts hold up to hard use and lots of washing.

Here are two more signs of fall.  Football is coming back (Go Packers), and Baby Buddy is wearing a sweatshirt.  We had a cool rainy morning last week, and his outfit was perfect for it.  Baby Buddy is of course also perfect, as all grandchildren are.

Have a lovely week, and stay safe!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

I'm linking up with these wonderful linky parties.  Come and join the fun!

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap












22 comments:

  1. Fun to see where you've been and what you've been up to this week, Sylvia! I really like those plus blocks and how you've put them together - and such cute prints, too. When you're making a child's quilt for donating, do you machine sew the final binding step? I'm wondering if I should do that for my little child's quilt I'm working on right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! I do all my binding by machine now. It's nice and sturdy for charity quilts. My tutorial on how I do that is here: https://treadlestitches.blogspot.com/2015/03/binding-quilts-completely-by-machine.html
      My way is a little different than the standard, I guess, but that's just how I roll. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. I have my husband's grandmother's treadle that is a fiddlebase. Been trying to get it going so I can use it. One of these days...
    Those cookie cookbooks look like a fun purchase. I wouldn't be able to pass them by. I used to collect old cookbooks. I have a Betty Crocker Cookie book from my mom. It's all grease stained and she had some writing in the margins. I remember which ones I helped her make!

    Cute little Plus quilts. You like the same kind of fabrics and purchases I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! I have a Betty Crocker cookbook too, my grandmother gave them to all the girls when we married. My mom's older Betty Crocker cookbook has been used so much (and spilled on so much) we joke that you could eat the pages. Good luck with the treadle!

      Delete
  3. I love your two sweet plus quilts, is this design a variation of a nine patch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's just a change in where you put the colors. The five dark patches make a sort of plus sign. I think the modern quilters started calling it that.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! These little quilts are so much fun to make.

      Delete
  5. Your plus quilts turned out beautifully! The quilting with the serpentine stitch adds a nice texture. That is a striking machine. I am sure someone else with love it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I hope the machine finds a good home, maybe even with someone who will get it running again.

      Delete
  6. So many fun photos and stories going on her, Sylvia!!! Good job resisting the machine--save it via your blog post! Cute quilts! Cuter grandson!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plus quilts are so different and both are adorable. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I always enjoy seeing what you make with scraps, you have such good ideas.

      Delete
  8. Your plus quilts are so bright and fun! You sure can combine your scraps in beautiful combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby buddy is so cute!!!
    And what a fun thing to see at the flea market!
    Love the quilts you finished!! those are happy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The daily poem yesterday refers to flea-market shopping as "the promise of small histories." (https://www.garrisonkeillor.com/radio/twa-the-writers-almanac-for-october-3-2021/) Your plus quilts are adding up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Plus Quilts are lovely. I am glad you found worthwhile fabric at a flea market but I am sure you need more cookie cookbooks :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOoooo! Drooling over that sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!