Saturday, October 30, 2021

Happy Halloween

 As the sign on my house says...

Welcome to Treadlestitches, Halloween Edition!

I didn't make any Halloween quilts this year, but there are little bits of orange and black in both tops finished this week.

This top has lots of black prints.  I started working on it two weeks ago, when I got the center (the six blocks and their tan sashing) from the charity committee to quilt.  Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and decided to make it big enough to fit a cot in the men's shelter.  I added the polka dot border (from my stash), and then made and added the piano keys outer border.

You never know what's going to come in handy.  Several years ago I bought a scrap bag at a flea market with lots of Route 66 fabric pieces, mostly squares and short strips.  It was fun to include them in this border.

I don't use a lot of black fabrics in my quilts for children, so I was glad I had these on hand.  There are also greens and grays, to go with the center squares.

Now it's ready for quilting.  I'm going to look around here and see if I can find enough flannel to back it with, so it's warm and cozy on our cold Wisconsin nights.

Does this ever happen to you?  Last month I needed a leader and ender project (read about what that is HERE), so I just grabbed some reproduction fabric squares and started sewing these 16-patch blocks.  Then, they took over!

When I got the blocks done, I had just about decided to put them together with an unpieced square of shirting fabric, but that seemed kind of ho-hum.  I had always liked a quilt made by Harriet Hargrave with this set, so that was the inspiration. 

Can you see which of the hourglass blocks is different?  I make my scrap quilts the way my foremothers did.  If I run out of one fabric, I add another similar one and keep going.

It's hard to see from the photo, but the border is a blue plaid.  It's a Marti Michel print from the 1990s, another flea market find.  How old does a fabric have to be before it's vintage?  

We're going to keep this one.  After I get it quilted, we'll use it on this twin bed, or curl up with it on the couch.  I'd like flannel backing for it too.  (Can you tell it's getting colder here?)

With those out of the way, I need a new piecing project.  Luckily, I have several (ahem! Understatement!) UFOs to choose from.  These blocks were finished in August 2020 and need to be set into a top.  I pieced most of them as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  

What about setting them with a pieced block?  It seems to be a theme with me lately.
 

How about this block?  It's number 2314 in Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.  It has several names.  I like Windmill best. Both blocks are 6 in. finished, so I'll need a lot of them.

Here's a preview of what it will look like.  Do you see the mistake I made?  Middle row, far right.

If it is possible to make a piecing mistake, I will make it.  This time, it was a cutting mistake.  The big pieces are not symmetrical, so they all have to be cut with the same side up.  I didn't always do that, so some of my blocks have a right twist and some have a left twist.  I'm not worried about it.


We have too much to do around here to worry about anything.  Baby Buddy and Little Buddy helped me cut out pumpkin-shaped sugar cookies.  The little guy was surprisingly good at it, all I had to do was keep him from eating the dough.

Don't be too frightened, but Little Buddy made this Haunted House for us from all the scariest toys and decorations he could find.  Some pretend dinosaur skulls got added in for extra creepiness.

Happy Halloween to all who celebrate, and thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap








28 comments:

  1. What a cute little baking helper you have! You have a great collection of blocks coming together to make quilts. I kind of like how those spinners go different directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I've decided I like those spinners too. Sometimes a mistake works out okay!

      Delete
  2. I love how your cot quilt is turning out, Sylvia! Looks like it's a good size. The 16 patches turned into a great quilt, and I like your methods - if you run out of a fabric, add in something similar! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are certainly keeping busy with all your projects. Lucky you to have your very own haunted room, especially designed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! Our little designer is very proud of his work. I don't know if he'll let us take it down after Halloween is over!

      Delete
  4. Wow! That cot quilt is bigger than it appeared on the design floor, Sylvia!! That was a really good use of those black, green, and gray scraps. Apparently, you Leader/Ender as well as I do! Mine usually end up taking over, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyful! That's the thing about leaders and enders, after a while they just demand to be finished. And then you need MORE leaders and enders!

      Delete
  5. I'm enjoying all your projects- In a QAL I did with Barbara Brackman she used the windmill block. A little tougher than it looks, I think. Little Buddy made a great scary decoration. Your grandboys are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sue! I'm a lucky grandma. I've done a couple of Barbara Brackman's quilt alongs, and they were fun. I learned a lot, but sometimes I just had to skip a block or two, as mine were not coming together. Maybe I need more practice!

      Delete
  6. Well, I had to look long and had to see the “mistake” on the dark windmill block! So, that says, “no worries”, it’s fine! I like that block a lot! May have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what you do with it. Even after I knew what I was doing wrong, I did it again! Twice! These blocks just want to spin the other way.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on getting not one but TWO tops done! Awesome! The first top looks so small on the floor, I thought it would barely cover the top of the cot but it is so much bigger than that. Great job on adding to it. It's really fabulous now. I can't believe that your leader-ender became your main focus. It has NEVER happened to me! (snort) A good hour-glass block always makes the best alternative block. Well done. I can relate to cutting or sewing mistakes. I'm so good at that. But this mistake is very inspiring. You might see it again in 2022 as I have an idea. Thanks for the inspiration. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I can't wait to see what you do with the mistake block. Or anything else!

      Delete
  8. Love this post , it really inspired me to get out those orphan blocks and give them a life! Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! Orphan blocks are very patient, but it's fun to finally do something with them!

      Delete
  9. So many amazing blocks in this post. Very inspiring!

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I seem to be doing more piecing lately, must be the cooler weather.

      Delete
  10. I think your black top is really striking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! The center was made by a different volunteer (I don't know who, but I hope to find out soon!).

      Delete
  11. 2 tops done!!! And they turned out very pretty, I love both of them, Sylvia, well done!!
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your black top is striking and your Harriet Hargrave inspired top is awesome too. I was impressed with Baby Buddy's cutting skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! Baby Buddy has a future as a baker, at least around here!

      Delete
  13. That cot quilt is really cool - I like how you made it bigger. and your leader ender project - okay - that one goes on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! And thanks for Finished or Not Finished Friday!

      Delete
  14. So many colorful bits and a cutie pumpkin cutter! I like how the twisted blocks go both directions. It will add a bit of curiosity to the quilt. And I say if you repeat it a couple of times it will be a design element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, JanineMarie! I had to laugh, I repeated the mistake SEVERAL times, and I have to agree, that makes it a design element. Or just a happy accident!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!