Saturday, December 11, 2021

Rainbow Baby Quilts Progress

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

 It's a snowy morning, so no outside quilt pictures today.  When I took this photo, the snow had just started.  It's coming down like crazy now, but not sticking to the roads yet.

Meanwhile, it may be cold outside, but it's warm and cozy inside.  I have two Rainbow Scrap Challenge baby quilts finished today.  This one is my crumb hearts quilt.

It was so much fun making these blocks all year from tiny little scraps.  The pirate cat above in the orange block seems to approve my choice of paw print sashing, ...

But is less thrilled about the dog print border.  Happy, friendly rainbow dogs!  I got the basic pattern for the hearts from a Cluck Cluck Sew tutorial (click HERE) but made the two main pieces from crumbs instead of plain rectangles.

The back is this heart print.  I can't remember where I got it, but I wish I'd bought a bolt!

All my heart blocks were used, except the pink ones.  I wanted this to be an "anybody" quilt, rather than a boy or girl quilt, when it is donated to Project Linus.  I saved the pink hearts, and will use them in a special girl quilt.

Next is lovable old Winnie the Pooh, who has been delighting children (and adults!) since 1926.  This fabric has the Disney illustrations, and is probably from the 1990s.  I bought it in an antique mall earlier this year.

The Friendship Star blocks are the gift that keeps on giving.  I usually made at least 10 of these each month in the RSC colors, so they found their way into several baby quilts.  Here 13 of them are paired with the Pooh Bear squares.

Most kids seem to love Tigger, maybe because he bounces around like they do!  I usually like the binding to be darker than this dragonfly print, but when I saw the dragonfly in the Pooh print, I had to use it.

So that's two more done.  What's next?

Mrs. Pfaff and I just got started on this one, the next to last of the Friendship Star baby quilts.
 

There is one more little quilt basted and ready for quilting (on the bottom of this stack), and four more tops to back, layer, baste, and quilt.  When all six of these are done, I will have made 20 baby quilts from this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.  All of these are going to Project Linus, which is just starting up again here after a former coordinator retired.

I definitely got carried away!  But I can't promise it won't happen again.  Many many thanks to Angela for being our guide on this rainbow journey.  So many of us look forward to it every month.

And in other news,

The string blocks are all sewn together.  I'm going to make a string border, but I'm going to have to make a lot more sections.  Good thing I've got tons of older scraps in the basement.  (I just knew they'd come in handy someday!)

My Baby Buddy was not very photogenic this week (he had a cold and a VERY runny nose) but here's a snap of him playing outside a couple of weeks ago in his new coat.  He's getting to be a big boy!

We put up the Christmas tree this week, and Little Buddy helped us decorate it after school.  These are some of my favorite ornaments--pictures of family and things the kids made.
 

 
Here's Little Buddy's ornament from last year.  He's grown a lot, but he's still our little guy.
 
In the week ahead, I'm wishing you sunshine, hugs, and lots of time to sew.
Thanks for reading!
 
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
 
Linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy, Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
 
 
 











16 comments:

  1. wow 20 is a lot - and all very cute - do you sew the binding to the front or the back first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! I sew the binding to the back first, and then top stitch it down on the front. Here's a link to a tutorial I wrote on it: https://treadlestitches.blogspot.com/2015/03/binding-quilts-completely-by-machine.html

      Delete
  2. Whenever I read one of your posts, my first reaction is always, "Oh look at that!" This week it is about your crumb stars. Love them! I am still getting the borders on my crumb stars, and you've inspired me to get back to that. And the Winnie the Pooh quilt is adorable, too. I'm so impressed with your 20 quilts for kids! Enjoy this holiday season with your buddies, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann, you are the kindest little penguin! I look forward to seeing your crumb hearts quilt. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness-- 20 RSC quilts! That's over achieving. The Poh bear quilt is adorable, and I love the crumb hearts. The border is great! I would have bought a bolt of the backing, too. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mari! I definitely got carried away, maybe because I have so many scraps. The RSC is so much fun!

      Delete
  4. What wonderful finishes! You have really inspired me to participate in the RSC challenge next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! Please join us! It is so inspiring to see what everybody is working on. Plus we get to work with scraps!

      Delete
  5. what a bunch of lovelies you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to make the RSC work for you, Sylvia!! 20 quilt tops is quite impressive. I got a good chuckle out of the fact that it might be repeated next year, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'm not promising either way, but I really do love making RSC blocks and turning them into baby quilts. Like eating potato chips without the calories!

      Delete
  7. You are the RSC Angel!! those quilts are beautiful - and 20!!! That is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sew many wonderful quilts for a great charity! It does seem to be sniffle nose season. Hope the little guy is back to his sunny self this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! It's so sad when little kids are sick. I do get lots of cuddle time though.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!