Friday, December 17, 2021

Ice Cream Cones, Bunny Girls, and a Few Scraps

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  How was your week?

I should be cleaning and shopping to get ready for the family Christmas party (which I love), but there are baby quilts to quilt.  I'll get back to the cleaning and shopping later.

It's too cold for ice cream (or is it?) but never too cold for an ice cream cone quilt!  

This one got quilted and bound yesterday, due to an unexpected free morning.  It's a Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt, baby-sized and ready to donate to Project Linus.  I made the blocks all year, from pink with sprinkles in January to lime green for October.

It took me a long time to decide how to set these rectangular blocks, and even more time to figure out how to quilt them.  I didn't find an ice cream print that I liked for the sashing, so I used a print with little donuts covered with colorful icing.  (The theme here is yummy stuff I should not eat much of.)  For quilting, I outlined the blocks and stitched in the ditch in the sashing seams.

Check out the back!  Here's why I chose it:

I think the back looks like these sprinkles!  Around here these long ones are called jimmies, I have no idea why.  Sprinkles are definitely good on ice cream, but we'll be using them tomorrow when my oldest daughter and her kids come over to make Christmas cookies. Can't wait!

There is another ice cream cone quilt coming (had to use all the blocks, of course!) but it isn't quilted yet.  Instead, I finished this one.

This is definitely a girl quilt!  More friendship stars, plus bunny girls in lovely dresses in the top and bottom borders.

I've had this fabric for a while in my panels box.  I bought it at a flea market as a large remnant.  You may recognize it as Daisy Kingdom fabric.  It was originally designed to be made into a very fancy dress for a little girl, with the bunnies as a border near the hem.  The dresses were very popular in the 1980s and 1990s.  I never managed to make any for my daughters, but I'm absolutely sure my oldest wouldn't have worn one anyway.

The fabric between the star blocks would have been the body of the dress.  There are little butterflies and bees in the print.  The striped border was also part of the remnant.

Pink backing, and purple binding--totally girly!

Baby Buddy doesn't care if it's a girl quilt!  He still has fun running his trains on it.  (Don't worry, I always wash the quilts before I donate them.)

My little buddies are very happy to see each other at the end of the school day.  Baby Buddy comes running, attacks his brother, and they end up on the floor.  I hope they'll always be good friends.


 That's the quilts for this week.  What about the scraps?

I'm still working on the borders for the red string quilt.  This morning as usual, after the basic chores were done I headed upstairs to the sewing room with a cup of tea.  My cup this morning is one of several birthday presents from my awesome Mom!  The lettering says When Life Gives You Scraps, Make Quilts.  Good advice!  Thanks, Mom!

Have a good week, everyone.  And to all who celebrate, have a very Merry Christmas!

Check out these linky parties for inspiration!

Angela at Super Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 

 










23 comments:

  1. Congrats on those quilt finishes! That mug saying has always been my motto. Where'd your Mom get that, Sylvia? LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'll ask Mom about the mug when I talk to her tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on those lovely finishes, Sylvia!
    Merry Christmas for you, your family and your little buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sprinkles are perfect for the backing fabric. Love the ice cream cone blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! And thanks for all you do for us with the RSC!

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous RSC project! Love all the choices from the background fabric to the quilting design... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what cute finishes! I remember the Daisy Kingdom patterns and fabrics, but my daughter was into American Girls dolls. I made her a dress that matched her Samantha doll. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! My youngest loved American Girl dolls too. I liked that they came with books (that's the librarian in me!).

      Delete
  6. oh now I really want ice cream - nice, nice finishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, maggie! I guess it's never really too cold for ice cream, is it?

      Delete
  7. Ice cream cones and bunny girls, both lovely quilts fir donation. It's not to cold to eat ice cream here in New Zealand where I live, our Christmas is celebrated over summer! Sunshine, BBQs and beaches instead of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! We went to Florida one Christmas and had a picnic on the beach. Have a happy sunny holiday!

      Delete
  8. Ice cream cones for the win! The friendship stars are fabulous! Love the borders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I have to remember to use those panel fabrics more often.

      Delete
  9. Very creative use of that Daisy Kingdom remnant. How cute. The ice cream cones are fun too. And that's a perfect backing for ice cream cones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are both such fun quilts, great job on 2 awesome finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is NEVER a wrong time for ice cream!! what a perfect quilt - and the backing!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ice cream quilt has been fun to follow along with you on and the sprinkles backing was perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!