Saturday, March 19, 2022

Scraps of Sunshine

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  How are your Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects coming along?

Each month, I make my blocks and/or rows in the month's color.  Part of the fun of finishing a row is checking out how it will look with the other rows.

 These are my Razzle Dazzle rows, named for a pattern from an old Quilters Newsletter.  (Click HERE to find out more.)  January's color was red, February was aqua, and this month is yellow.

Some of my yellow triangles are kind of pale, and don't contrast that well with the light triangles (looking at you, Care Bears and dragonflies!), but overall I think the zigzag shows through.

The fabrics are so much fun.  I love scrap quilts!

Since I got out all the rows for Razzle Dazzle, I did the same for the crayon quilt.  Most of the crayon quilts I've seen online have had the rows set horizontally, but I've been thinking of setting them vertically, like crayons in a box.  I'm not sure what fabric will go between the rows.

The rows are so long it's hard to get a good photo.  Every crayon has 18 different 2.5 x 4.5 in. bricks in the color of the month.

My Little Guy saw the real crayons I had on the table for the photos, and couldn't wait to make some marks on the paper.  (And the table.  No worries, the marks wash off.)  It was a good activity for a cold and rainy day.

So is baking!  I tried this Lemon Yogurt Cake recipe from Ina Garten.  Big Buddy loved it for his after school snack.  Grandpa and I did, too!  And it was a great way to use up some leftover plain yogurt.

Unlike today, yesterday was warm and beautiful, 50 degrees and sunny in the morning.  I'm so glad we went outside then.  My Little Guy wore his (yellow!) Minions hat, and chased the robins into the trees.  He did NOT want to go in, even at lunchtime. 

Spring always arrives by fits and starts in Wisconsin.  You just have to grab the sunshine when you can.

I shoved all the other projects aside yesterday to make this star for Ukrainian refugees.  A lovely lady in Germany is collecting 8 in. finished blocks and making them into quilts for people fleeing the terrible war in Ukraine.  Click HERE for the link to her information.  She has been inundated with blocks, and is working with friends to make the quilts.  With literally millions of people displaced, the need may be great for a long time, so I'm sending my little star.

Some of the donation quilts made by our quilt group have already been sent to help.  A local business that also has a plant in Poland put out a call, and about 20 or so quilts we had on hand were delivered to them, along with toiletry bags filled with basic items. (Nice job, Colleen and helpers!)

In the face of this horrible war against civilians, our little contributions don't seem like much, but we have to do whatever we can.  

 
Look what my Big Buddy (the kindergarten grandson formerly known as Little Buddy) and his mom gave me!  They know me so well.  I have to find a proper place for it on the wall in the sewing room.  It's shown here with more little bricks, which will be yet another baby quilt pretty soon.

Are you sewing happy this week?  As always, I'm sewing happy and scrappy.  Have a good week!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap
 

Oops, I forgot!!!  Happy International Quilting Day!!!









26 comments:

  1. your yellow blocks are all cute and will make cheerful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Cheerful is definitely what I'm going for!

      Delete
  2. I just love your Razzle Dazzle rows, Sylvia! The great thing about scrappy projects like this is that when you stand back and look at the whole thing, you get the picture of a yellow row, even if some pieces are darker or lighter. The yellow and blue star is beautiful, and perfect to send for a quilt for a refugee. It's so great that your local group had Quilts all ready to send, too. And yum in the lemon cake! We would like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! It's the best lemon cake recipe I've tried yet. Lots of lemon flavor, great soft texture.

      Delete
  3. Awww the Minion hat!! I love it!!
    Your razzle Dazzle blocks are just awesome!! and that crayon.. what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! This Little Guy is kind of like a minion--he loves bananas and we can't understand most of what he says.

      Delete
  4. You know I’m drawn to the Razzle Dazzle quilt! How can you not like Zig Zags? Those littles love to be outside, don’t they! Hooray for good outdoor weather, even if sporadic! I was looking for a new recipe! Lemon yogurt cake….yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good for me to have my little guy here, he gets me out into the sunshine. But he doesn't understand why some days are rainy and we can't go.

      Delete
  5. Razzle Dazzle rows look wonderful together, Sylvia. I do love also your crayons. Beautiful blue and yellow star block and for a great cause.
    Thanks so much for the Lemon Yogurt cake recipe link. Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada, Ivani! I hope you're having a nice weekend too.

      Delete
  6. I like that project and to think I lt my old quilt magazines go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let mine go too, but first I tore out a few patterns, photos, etc. (We just can't keep everything, right?) This project is easy enough without the pattern, just 60 degree triangles. I even up the edge when the row is done.

      Delete
  7. So nice that you are able to contribute to the cause for Ukraine and for Poland. So many people displaced! The zig zags are lovely. Yellow can be tricky with contrast, but they pattern is quite distinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I'm really trying to use up lots of my yellows, including the paler ones.

      Delete
  8. The Sew Happy scissors will look wonderful on your wall and bring a smile each time you see it. Your Razzle Dazzle quilt really caught my eye, and the mix of backgrounds make the colors just pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! It's almost as much fun choosing the backgrounds as it is choosing the colors! I'm trying to cut the background triangles ahead so I can mix them up in the rows.

      Delete
  9. Oh yes, the yellow zigzag definitely shows through!!! That crayon quilt is such a cute idea!!! Love your new studio decoration! I'm still looking for the first robin here in Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! We only saw two or three robins, that must make them the early birds. The rest are coming soon!

      Delete
  10. Awesome! Razzle Dazzle is simply AWESOME! Love your new pair of "scissors". Too cute! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bright colors in your rainbow projects, and the colorful neutrals. For the crayons, since you are maybe setting them vertically, how about side by side without sashing—like in the box? It is so hard to know how to lend support in such distressing times isn’t it? It is heartening to see so many people pulling together to do whatever they can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JanineMarie! Yes, that's the bright spot in all this horror, how so much of the world is standing up, speaking out, and helping the refugees.

      Delete
  12. I LOVE that chevron design. I really want to make one for myself. It is going to be hard to resist each moth. The crayons are cute too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! It's an easy pattern, you know, just 60 degree triangles cut from 3.5 in strips. And it uses lots of scraps.

      Delete
  13. LOVE your scraps of sunshine, Sylvia!! Thanks for sharing that cake recipe, too. Lemon cake is popular at our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! The cake is all gone this morning, I'll have to bake something else. My Little Guy loves cookies. Maybe he'll help me. Have a great week!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!