Sunday, March 27, 2022

Easy Baby Quilts for Hands 2 Help

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Hello, Hands 2 Helpers!

It is such a good idea to have us share easy patterns for Hands 2 Help.  (Thanks, Mari!)  Through the year, I make lots of quilts to donate to babies and children, so I'm sharing some of them here.  I'm looking forward to seeing what other people post, especially for larger quilts for grown ups.  I definitely need some help in that direction!

First up, classic 4 patch!  What could be easier?  I started making these many years ago to donate to Quilts 4 Kids.  They have several free and easy patterns, click HERE to go to their pattern page.

 
I have used their 4 patch pattern many times, and highly recommend it.  You need a fun print for the plain squares and the outer border, so I start with that.  You need about a yard, although you can get away with less if you use a different fabric for the outer border.  Next I pull fabric that goes with the fun print for the 4 patches.  

Usually, I use just two fabrics for the 4 patches, but these 4 patches came to me in a silent auction, and it all works out.  It's a great pattern for beginners, or anytime you need a quick quilt.  (I love it because I get to use my novelty prints!)

Next is my own pattern (free, of course), which I'm calling Little Bricks.  Click HERE for the link.  (Can you believe there was snow on the ground two weeks ago?  Oh, yeah, for sure, it's Wisconsin.)

The little bricks are 2.5 in. x 3.5 in. rectangles, and the blocks measure 6 in. finished.  No seams to match in the block makes them work up very quickly.

I'm really on a kick of using little bricks!  This top will be quilted soon, but I thought I'd include it, as it is a very easy quilt to make.  I'm calling it Little Bricks and Ladders.  I don't think I've seen this exact quilt anywhere else, but if this is someone else's pattern please let me know.


Here's the recipe:

For each block, cut 3 little bricks (2.5 in. x 3.5 in.) and two background rectangles 2 x 6.5 in.

Sew the little bricks together on their long edges.

Add the background rectangles to each side of the assembled bricks.

Make 30 blocks.  Alternate their orientation across the quilt, and set the blocks 5 x 6.

Cut borders 3.5 in. wide.

You will need 90 little bricks, cut from scraps, and about 3/4 of a yard of background fabric, depending on the width.  The border uses about 1/2 yard.  (My fabric measurements are slightly more than needed.)

Finished size:  36 in. x 42 in.

I love making quilts of all kinds, even the tougher patterns, but the easier ones let me get more done to donate to others.  Plus they're fun!

Let's have fun making quilts!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with Mari, the Academic Quilter


 







5 comments:

  1. I love your Little Bricks blocks, Sylvia! I've started watching for the 2.5 x 3.5 size pieces as I sort through my scraps. Your design makes a fun block and quilt design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great quilts! These are really useful patterns, and I'll bet they're very quick. Thanks for linking them to Hands2Help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia, these are super cute patterns. Thank you for sharing them. Pinning for future use!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial for some quilt quilts for H2H, Sylvia!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the cute patterns and tutorials. I've already started one with the pattern you posted a few weeks ago using bricks, and now you've posted another fun block. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!