Saturday, August 20, 2022

Little Bits of Orange

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Are you sewing with orange this week for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge?  I'm getting a few blocks done.  Thank goodness I picked easy projects this year.  This is the first weekend we've been home in a month.

These sixteen patch blocks are so fast and easy (with Cynthia's quick method!) and I'm finally using strips I've always liked but had trouble finding a spot for.  A friend gave me this candy corn fabric at a retreat back before the pandemic.

The print in this block came from a Moda scrap bag.  Do they still sell those?  It was so much fun to lay out all the strips after I got home.  I'm definitely a sucker for scraps.

The fabric for this block and the next came from scraps I bought or was given.  I just love the rainbow affect.

When I first started quilting, I would never have put orange and pink in the same block, let alone the same fabric!  I'm just amazed at how well they go together.  Orange really does play well with lots of other colors, like blue, aqua, purple, yellow, and even red!

The orange crayon is done now, too.  I'm starting to think (worry?) about how I'm going to set the crayons together.  It's a good problem to have.

Are you a Lori Holt fan?  I've often admired her designs, and when I saw this book while we were on vacation I decided to take the plunge and try some of her patterns. 

All the designs for the rows on the cover quilt are also made into individual quilts, table runners, etc.   My favorite block is the mitten.  Can't you just see that in novelty prints?  

Here's a little more orange!  Our Buddy's shirt says "Live to Fish", and that describes him perfectly.  His dad has been taking him fishing and teaching him all about it.  Buddy assures me this is the proper way to hold a fish with sharp teeth after you catch it.  I'm just glad this fish is plastic.

It's been cool here lately, and really too cold for swimming, so we set up the wading pool as a fish pond.  Our little Guy is very proud of catching a tiny toy shark.

Our oldest daughter and her two kids were here Friday, and we had a nice visit.  Our granddaughter, Miss E, is taking a popsicle break.  I wish I had been fast enough to take a photo of her hula-hooping (is that a word?).  She is phenomenal!

Not pictured is her brother Mr. H, who literally runs from the camera. 

The end of summer is coming up fast.  Buddy starts first grade this coming week, and the older kids go back shortly after that.   We'll still have good weather for a couple of months or so, and I might have time to can tomatoes and freeze corn in September.

And now that we're back from all our travels, maybe I can spend more time sewing!  That's the plan!

I hope your plans work out for you this week, whether sewing or not.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap 











20 comments:

  1. What a super post! Your grandkids are adorable and at the most fun ages! I’m glad you had a nice visit before school starts. Your orange blocks are (as always), lovely. I’m so enjoying adding your pattern for Little Bricks to my repertoire. I love Lori Holt patterns because they are always so clear and easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! Clear and easy patterns are the best! I'm looking forward to trying some out.

      Delete
  2. Although I like a few of Lori Holt's items I find overall most of her patterns, books and notions are really over priced compared some of the other designers for what you get. Have fun with the pattern - I do like that the book is spiral bound and wish more were

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of her older books (I think?) and was marked down, so the perfect one for me to try, to see if I like making the blocks. I agree about spiral bound books, for quilting and cooking!

      Delete
  3. Fun orange blocks - I love the candy corn fabric! That looks like a fun book to play with, too. I know you'll put together some cute quilts with the blocks in it. Glad you've enjoyed some time with both sets of grands this week - those times are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I'm so lucky to live near my grandchildren. They are growing up so fast!

      Delete
  4. Nice 16 patch blocks. Sometimes I strip piece them and sometimes I don't. And hooray for Miss E. ! I didn't know kids still hula--hooped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! There are some girls at her school that are into hula hooping, I think they might be in gymnastics?

      Delete
  5. Lovely orange blocks. Love the rainbow effect in the last two but candy corn is always cool. How fast grandchildren grow! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! You are so right. I can't believe Miss E is going into middle school this year.

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your blocks Sylvia. With inspiration from Sylvia, I too have been using some scraps I'd had around for a long time which was great! You are creating such wonderful memories with your grandchildren!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TerryK, that is so kind of you. I am a very lucky grandma.

      Delete
  7. I have been thinking about making another 16 patch quilt with some strips I have. I love how yours are looking. Thanks for sharing your great post with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I look forward to seeing your blocks.

      Delete
  8. I have a friend who says orange is a neutral, and I think you're proving it with some of your blocks! They look great. Thanks for sharing pics of all the kidlets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! Orange month always makes me happy 😁

      Delete
  9. Your orange blocks remind me of orange sherbet and creamsicle pops! Wonderful that you were able to spend time with those sweet grandchildren, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a very lucky grandma! Oh, and orange sherbet is a terrific idea, maybe my little guys will help me make some!

      Delete
  10. Shew - first weekend home in a month!!! thats a lot!! but I really like your orange blocks!!! they are super happy! glad you had fun with the family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! It's been a perfect storm of weekend obligations plus vacation, but we're glad to be back home again.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!