Sunday, August 21, 2022

Positivity 2022: California Bound

 Welcome to Treadlestitches, Positivity 2022 edition!

It's Sunday morning, around 10:35, and I just put the last stitches in 20 minutes ago!  (Good thing you couldn't see me dancing and jumping up and down!)

Normally, I like having deadlines, because it means I get things done.  And waiting til the last minute is stressful.  But lately, I've just run out of both time and energy.  

I'm a "granny nanny".  I babysit my two youngest grandsons every weekday from 8 to 4 or 4:30, while their parents work.  I volunteered for this job, and I love being with them.  Before they come in the morning, I get a few chores done and piece quilt blocks.  The actual quilting gets done on the weekend.

But we have been out of town for the last four weekends.  And I have just been too tired to quilt in the evenings.

So yesterday morning, I decided I would do as much as I could now that I have time again.  If I didn't get finished in time for the deadline, I would at least make a good start, and finish up later on.

I quilted a 2 in. grid with the serpentine stitch, and it went much more quickly than I had thought.  I got it all done by the time I went to bed last night.

I used a stencil to mark the border for quilting, just a simple 2-line swag I've used many times before, and quilted that this morning when the light was better so I could see the markings.

Then I trimmed the edges, made the binding, and sewed it on.  The binding is a blue scrap I bought at the quilt museum rummage sale last June.

What do you think about the backing?  I stayed away from my beloved novelty prints for the front, opting instead for calm blue, green, and aqua prints, but I could not resist the sea turtles for the back.  They seem calm to me, too, swimming peacefully.

Now all that remains to do is to pack it up and mail it, which I will do this week.  Hurray!

Hurray for all the Positivity 2022 quilts, finished or not yet finished.  And a huge thank you to Preeti and Bernie for helping bring more positivity into the world.  We all need it!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with Bernie at Needle and Foot.
 





 




7 comments:

  1. Hi Sylvia - the colors are beautiful for your Positivity Quilt - I agree with you on the turtles.... very peaceful! Thank you for making this and donating it to Mercyful Quilts. It will be loved and used to give comfort to a family who needs it.
    How old are your grandsons? I know my grand daughters can wear me out too!! But having the boys daily is a big commitment. They are lucky to have you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bernie! My little guys are 2 and 6. They keep me hopping!

      Delete
  2. Great job, Sylvia. Sometimes a deadline is good. Gives us good incentive to get moving. Unfortunately sometimes deadlines work against us, creating much stress to get it done. Your Positivity 2022 looks really pretty. I like how you opted out of 80 blocks (set 8x10) and chose 63 blocks (set 7x9) and then added a border. Wish I'd thought of that! Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! It's a great design, with or without a border, and for such a good cause.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful quilt , Sylvia. I love the design of the block. I am working on Little Bricks that you shared in a previous post . It is always a delight to visit your blog. Have a great weekend and happy quilting.
    P.S. Thank you so much for visiting my blog , I am so honored and that means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I always enjoy reading your blog, and seeing what fun things you make.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous and soothing!!! Bernie and I may lead the charge but it is you who make it worth the effort it. Thank you so much. Big Squishy Hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!