Saturday, September 10, 2022

A Rainbow Quilt, and a Pile of Scraps

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's no secret, I love rainbows, especially rainbow quilts.  A few months ago, the very talented Judy Gauthier gave a talk at my quilt guild.  Of course I went!  I'm a real "fangirl", and have all of her books.  The quilt I finished this week is from a pattern in her second book, Rainbow Quilts for Scrap Lovers.  I started making these blocks back in May.

The pattern is called "Rectangles Squared".  Here's Judy's version:

 Not a great picture, but you get the idea.  She has plain white squares as alternate blocks, and beautiful quilting throughout.

I admit, I have a hard time following a pattern exactly.  Or at all.  In this case, I made the blocks according to the directions, but I set them side by side with a plain border to make a baby quilt to donate.  Simple quilting and a green binding, and it's ready to go.

It was so much fun choosing fabrics!  There are only two colors in each block.  I decided  to make each block in a different color combination.  This only worked because I used THREE shades of blue:  light, medium, and dark, plus aqua.  It got a little complicated at times.

It's such a clever design.  All the pieces are the same size!  It really used up a ton of scraps.  And since the pieces are rectangles, they can be cut from two sizes of strips.  If I couldn't find the right color in the smaller size, I might find it in the larger one.

I got to use lots of my novelty prints, too.  Check out that robot.  I think she looks like the robot maid on the Jetsons TV show way back when.

The back is butterflies, with a strip of kites.
 

Speaking of rainbows, I got a few blocks done for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this week.

 

These are my 16 patch blocks, done in solid colors and multi-color prints.  The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month is light blue.  I'm also using other blue prints from the overflowing solid fabric scrap basket.  I'm almost done making these blocks, and the basket is still overflowing.

This block is my favorite.  Novelty prints with one-way designs are fun, but can be challenging.  At least I don't have any upside down dogs here.

Where do rainbow quilts come from?  Why, rainbow scraps, of course!

This big pile has been growing on my cutting board for a few months.  I kept shoving it aside so I could cut other things, but it's been refusing to budge lately.  There is all sorts of stuff in here--prints, solids, brights, reproductions, even parts of a shirt that somebody cut out and never made, which ended up in a scrap lot someone gave me.

I don't really have a great cutting area in my sewing room.  I'm using my husband's old desk, which I like, but it's not at the right height and can't be easily raised.  But the kitchen counter is at the perfect height, and has the added benefit of being near drinks and snacks.  I cut up that pile of scraps there off and on over Labor Day weekend.  Hubby fixed his breakfast and lunch around me and never even raised an eyebrow.

Here's most of what I ended up with.  I cut 6 sizes of strips, 5 sizes of squares, and 3 sizes of rectangles.  A lot of this was from backing cut off after quilting.

I made sure to snap this photo QUICK, while the desk was still cleaned off.  I always tell myself I won't let it pile up again, that I'll cut those scraps up as soon as they appear.  Somehow, it just doesn't happen.  (BTW, there is already a new pile getting started!)

What are our boys up to this week?

The weather has been nice and warm, even hot at times.  The guys like to have a "popsicle party" after Buddy gets home from school.  (This is Buddy's new "smile for pictures" face.  Not gonna lie, it's a little scary.)

Here's a better smile!  Buddy's latest obsession is fishing, and he asked me to take this picture.  This is a toy fish, but he was really excited about going fishing for real with his dad after school.

I'm excited about my obsession, too--I'm going to a quilt show this weekend!  So glad shows are in person again.

I hope you have a joyful week.  And if you have time for quilting, so much the better!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap 

 







 






22 comments:

  1. What a cheerful quilt. If Buddy gives up his fishing obsession, perhaps he will move onto robots, especially if he spies the robot on your current quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwyned! Another grandson had a huge robot obsession several years ago. I still have scraps!

      Delete
  2. I love your scrappy rectangles quilt! You always have the best collection of bright novelty prints. Have fun at the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie, it was a great show! I could only be there for a little while on Saturday, so it's all a happy blur.

      Delete
  3. Your version of Rectangles Squared is even better than the original version in the book. Some kiddo is going to LOVE that quilt because it's so happy and bright. Those little boys are adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great series of blocks. I really enjoy Judy Gauthier’s patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy is so talented! She has lots of tricks to make piecing easy.

      Delete
  5. I looooove all your rainbow quilts, Sylvia! Each and every block is a happy party! Hug those adorable grands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I hug those guys every chance I get! Even the teenager!

      Delete
  6. A quilt show, how wonderful, I'm sure you will have a great time. I love the rectangle squared blocks, as you say, a great way with strips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! The show was amazing! My head is still in a fog.

      Delete
  7. Cute boys and love the rainbow quilt. Fabulous finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! The only thing that's more fun than finishing a quilt is starting a new one!

      Delete
  8. Sylvia, I thought I left you a comment yesterday, but don't see it here. I checked Judy's book out of my library yesterday, and I know I'll enjoy looking through it. Scrappy rainbow quilts like yours are just the best! I hope Buddy has lots of fun fishing, and you has fun at the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! We are so lucky to have libraries in our communities, glad you could find Judy's book there. Not sure what's going on with comments? Anyway, the quilt show was wonderful (of course)!

      Delete
  9. I could use that Jetson robot to clean the house so I can sew! What a great kids top you made. I love how hubby made his meals around the cutting counter - he is a keeper. Enjoy the kiddo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! After over 40 years of me quilting, hubby just goes with the flow. Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. What a terrific scrap block/pattern! It made into a wonderful top! How fun that Buddy is in to fishing. I like fishing too. . .I'm even happy when there isn't much "catching" but, catching is a lot of fun!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TerryK! Our Buddy can't wait to tell us all the details of every fishing trip. Good luck catching (or not catching) fish!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!