Saturday, September 3, 2022

Sailing On Into the Blue

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Up, up, and away!  This cute panel was on the free table at my quilt guild's meeting a few months ago.  I finished the top, but it was lingering in the closet until I finally got it quilted this week.

Nothing too complicated here, just borders around the center.  Lots of panels are not printed straight on the fabric, and this one was no exception.  I liked that it had plenty of white around the design so I could cut it straight before adding the borders without wrecking the design.

As it turns out, I had some hot air balloon fabric on hand to add to the panel.  The inner border is a very light blue with smaller balloons, and the corners of the outer border are cut from a slightly darker blue with larger balloons.  I'm really hitting the theme hard.

Even on the back!  A kind person in my quilt group put literally yards of this adorable Hoffman fabric in the basket the group gave me.

In a nod to last month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge color, I bound the little quilt with an orange print.  It will be donated to Jack's Basket.

Since it's light blue, I'm counting it as a start to the RSC color for September.

Here are 4 light blue split nine patch blocks to join the rest I've been making all year.  Now for the hard part--I have to do some math to figure out how many more blocks I need, and if I'm making two baby quilts or one twin quilt.  Size will of course dictate where the quilt or quilts are donated.  What would you do?

All the blue squares in these blocks came from my 3.5 in. box, they were already cut and waiting for a project.  Here we have sharks, caterpillars, and the Bat Mobile.

These fabrics are VERY light blue.  There are trucks, lighthouses, and a scrap of one of the balloon fabrics from the baby quilt.

The blue squares in this block have kites, fire trucks, and flowers (with a bug peeking in).

It's fun to look at the fabrics and remember the quilts these scraps came from.  The prints this time are bunnies, butterflies, and Fischer Price toys.  The bunny fabric was left over from my littlest grandson's quilt, made before he was born.

Here he is now, at two and a half.  His brother had a day off school yesterday, and we went to the library for new books.  Our library is wonderful, with so many fun things for kids to do, including this puppet theater.

Did you notice the boys' weird hair?  Their Daddy gives them haircuts, and for a joke he only cut half of each of their hair the other night.  The kids loved it, but we got some strange looks at the library.

Our Buddy didn't have school yesterday, so their Dad left their hair like this, and fixed it after work.  (He would not have sent Buddy to school like this.)  Sorry about the tongue hanging out, he was being a goofy kid.

The weather here has been beautiful.  My Little Guy and I go to the park as much as we can.  In this photo, he is studying a leaf he picked up.

Here in the U.S. it's Labor Day Weekend, which traditionally marks the end of summer.  We should have a few more warm weeks here before fall and winter arrive.  I plan to make the most of them.

Have a lovely weekend, and a happy week ahead.  Quilting makes a good day even better!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap

Frederique at Patchwork and Quilts 

















25 comments:

  1. Your panel quilt turned out adorably!! I love it! When I’ve done Split Nine blocks, I’ve always left the center square while. But I love yours and the idea of making pinwheels with them! So clever. Now I most ponder that idea. And your grands are cute as ever. Those temporary haircuts are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! The blocks are like hsts, they can be set in lots of ways. I've had all year to come up with a set, and I still don't know what I'll do.

      Delete
  2. You had the perfect border fabrics for that balloon panel, Sylvia! It turned out so cute! Love those split 9 patches, too. I'm putting those on my list. What size squares do you make yours with? It's so fun that your buddies' dad can be silly with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! The squares are 3 inches finished which makes a 9 inch block. They're fast and easy. Btw, the kids' dad also cut only half of his own beard, but finished it in the morning before going to work!

      Delete
  3. You sure made a cute little quilt from that panel. And of course you had some hot air balloon fabric on hand! It seems like more baby quilts get donated than twin sized so maybe I'd make a twin sized. But, of course, it depends upon where you are going to donate it! Those are certainly some fun Split Nine blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! That's a thought, I am sure fewer twin quilts are donated.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful sunny quilt. Love the haircuts. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! The boys loved showing off their silly hair.

      Delete
  5. Great way to make that panel into a quilt! Funny haircuts! You split nine patch blocks have lots of interesting fabrics. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute panel quilt AND balloon fabric for the back too. What a win! Those split nine patch blocks look great. I don't have an answer to your question. . .but, do you like making bindings and backings for two quilts or would you have more fun finishing one?--TerryK@OnGoingQuilts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your holiday weekend, Sylvia! I thought I was seeing things when I noticed the boys hair. Too funny that their Dad left it that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their dad is a fun guy. Hope your holiday weekend was fun and/or restful!

      Delete
  8. great job on getting that panel into an adorable little quilt. Thanks for sharing all your blue blocks with Oh Scrap too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW what cute panel quilt!!. You did a great job on this one, Sylvia.
    Love your light blue Split nine patch blocks. I spy the trucks fabric that is the same I made blocks for Love Quilts Brasil last July. So cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the panel baby quilt. Love IT!! The picture of the sun is what I needed this evening. It's a long weekend here too but the weather isn't very nice to enjoy the outdoor. Sigh! I see that you have a fabric of my very first "eye phone". Haha. If that thing could talk, the stories it could tell, lol. Boys never grow up. Father is just a goofy as the wee ones. I'm sure the little ones got a kick out of their hair dos. Too funny! Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am laughing about the "eye" phone! These old toys are classics, so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet Up and Away quilt
    your kids - they are just TOO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet little quilt. With the split nine-patches I would make two small quilts, but only because they would be easier for me to quilt that way. LOL It's fun finding fabric in our scraps and remembering what we used them in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely panel quilt! I love the air ballons all over, and the orange binding too. Pretty split nine patch blocks, you have such fun and cute novelty fabrics!
    It looks like you had a lot of fun with the boys ;)
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Morning Sylvia, just saw an extension to a table top on Me and My Quilts https://quiltdivajulie.blogspot.com/p/inside-my-studio.html that might work for your desk. check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!