Saturday, November 19, 2022

In Progress

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Nothing is finished this week, but there's plenty that isn't.  I'm quilting the first Razzle Dazzle quilt on my electric Pfaff, and it's coming along okay.  I'd like to get all my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts done by the end of the year.  I admit, it may not be realistic, but it's a goal to shoot for.

Here's another RSC project in progress, the 16 patch blocks made of multicolor prints plus a solid.  I'm sewing them into rows, and then into a twin sized top.  My treadle sits under the window in my sewing room.  I can see the driveway when I sew in the morning, so I know when my daughter arrives to drop off my littlest grandson for babysitting.

Besides the quilts in progress, I am also trying to better organize the sewing room.  Here's one of the reasons why:

This is just PART of what I bought at a quilt show rummage sale in early October.

Picture a regular sized classroom at the quilt show.  Three of the walls were lined with tables and there were double tables down the center of the room.  All of these tables were piled HIGH with fabric and there were overflowing boxes underneath.  Some of the larger pieces or kits were priced separately, at around $3 to $4 per yard.  All the rest, about 90% of the fabric in the room, was priced at $10 per grocery bag full.

I filled one whole bag with flannel, mostly large pieces for backing baby quilts but some cute smaller stuff for piecing tops.  I stuffed the other bag with cotton prints, plus a heavier print for a zipper bag and four or five full feed sacks.

Adding this to my haul from the rummage sale at the quilt museum in June, some of which is seen below:

...plus stuff I picked up at flea markets and antique stores through the year made reorganizing the fabric storage absolutely necessary.

I even got this wild print at the Quilt History retreat!
 

Like many quilters, I store my fabric both by color and size.  I have bins of quarter yards, half yards, and one yard pieces, and I was able to just squish the right size new stuff into those, but the bins in the closet hold the bigger yardage, and they were ridiculously full.  Expanding into bankers boxes helped. .

This bin of light fabrics is definitely overstuffed!  I need to use some of it up soon or change to a bigger box.

Light fabrics are ALWAYS on my list to search for at sales.  I always look for backing fabric, colors I'm out of or low on, and (of course!) novelty fabric for the kid quilts.

So the fabric is better organized now and it's easier to find what I need.  I also added a Some Assembly Required box for finished block sets, and another box for projects I want to finish by the Quilt-As-You-Go method.

Now to organize what I work on!  I bought a white board, and Hubby very kindly put it up for me above my cutting table.  So far, I'm really liking it.  I can keep track of deadlines etc., and the magnets will hold paper patterns while I'm cutting the pieces.

It's not perfect (yet?) but it's a good start.  A work in progress.

Last weekend we went to see a local theater performance of The Music Man, featuring our oldest grandson. It was so much fun!  He has three more performances this weekend.  Break a leg, G!

We got some real snow this week, but only about 2 inches total.  It's been cold, so it hasn't melted yet.  The big maple tree looks weird with both leaves and snow.

A new family member joined us on Thursday!  We adopted Snicklefritz from the Humane Society.  It's amazing how someone so tiny can turn everything totally upside down.  The grandkids love him, and so do we.  Our dog is putting up with him really well, thank goodness, but I'm already tired of a kitten waking me up to play at 5:30 in the morning! 

Next week, it's Thanksgiving!  We're hosting, as usual, and I'm doing as much cooking ahead as possible.  Next stop after that is Christmas!  Just thinking about it is making me tired.  It's a good day for a nap with a furry friend.

Have a lovely week, whatever it brings.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy



20 comments:

  1. snow - it is pretty but I like the trees to loose its leafs first - otherwise they can get too heavy and break can't they. Lots of fabric - I would like to get done with my RSC quilts too - I started too many this year and do not plan to start new ones until all are done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always start too many RSC quilts! I'm hoping to finish some of the backlog next year.

      Delete
  2. What a fun-filled post!! You have lots of yummy scraps and fabrics. How cool to have places/events where you can buy cheaply in bulk! My friend Ruby is always on the lookout for fabric for me at yard and estate sales. Sticklefritz is adorable!!! Many happy hugs and purrs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I have been really lucky, especially this year.

      Delete
  3. Working on the quilting is always a step in the right direction, Sylvia! Meanwhile, doing all the organizing and putting away is a big job, but so satisfying when finished. I would love to have a stash of backings to pull out whenever I needed one. How fun to see your grandson in the musical - is he one of the 76 trombones?! Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly picked up lots of bargains. Such a cute kitten, so pleased your dog is "putting up with him", wonder if they will ever be good friends or just pets who live in the same house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they'll be friends, but it's more like detente right now.

      Delete
  5. I had fun at our quilt show garage sale too - IT is hard to pass on great, fun fabric at that price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You made out like a bandit at those sales, Sylvia!! I'm impressed with your new organization system. Here's hoping it continues to work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's my kind of bargain-hunting -- what a wonderful haul! The Music Man is one of my favorite musicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! Lots of good songs. Even our six year old grandson loved it!

      Delete
  8. You scored big on those bargains. Lots and lots of lovelies. Oh the fun of playing with new fabrics. Snicklefritz is just adorable. Cats grow very fast so it won't wake you up at 5:30 for long. I am trying to reorganize by sewing room too. I'm starting to think that I just have too much stuff. Hahaha. I'm kidding. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much stuff? No way! We're having fun with Snicklefritz no matter how early he wakes up. It's been 20 years since we had a kitten in the house.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you had a GREAT week!! Love all your fabric scores!! and I like 16 patch blocks - thats a great idea for an RSC block!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! It has been a fun way to use the multicolor fabrics.

      Delete
  10. That was quite a haul. I'm surprised you could even get into your sewing room, much less organize it. lol Going ro see the grands perform in anything is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at the bounty of new (to you) fabric you got. I like your 16 patches -- solids with prints. I may emulate you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!