Friday, November 11, 2022

It's That Time of the Year

Welcome to Treadlestitches! 

It's that time of year--time for finishing up the Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts started back in January.  These two Razzle Dazzle tops are Not Finished, but they're ready for quilting.  Our weird weather this week had them flying in the breeze one evening after the kids went home.

Here's Razzle Dazzle #1 back in the house.  For eight months in 2022 I made a double row in the color of the month, which was about 36 in. wide and 12 in. top to bottom.  I knew from the start I would be making two quilts, but the question was which colors would go into each.  I didn't make a pink row (not enough pink scraps!) or a dark green row (same thing, not enough dark green).

My Little Guy was a very good helper today.  He's inspecting the seams here.  Hope I pass!  Razzle Dazzle #1 has the red, aqua, yellow, and dark blue rows.

This silly cat fabric is the simple border.  I was so glad to have enough of it left.

Razzle Dazzle #2 uses the orange, light blue, green, and purple rows, and has a striped border.

Since I hadn't decided which rows would be going together, I didn't plan where the individual triangles would fall.  I was lucky enough not to have too many of the same light pieces right next to each other.  Except of course for the music note print on the left.  And any others I haven't seen yet.

These are not my first zigzag Rainbow quilts, although I haven't made any in this exact pattern before.  Gotta say, I love a zigzag, however it's made.   Now I just have to quilt them!

These Christmas placemats are all that got quilted this week.  They're a project for the quilt group.  The organizers gave us Christmas fabric and challenged us to make something with it to donate.  I believe the placemats will go to Meals On Wheels, but don't quote me on that.

When I started these, I pulled out all the Christmas fabric and scraps I had.  It looked like a holiday explosion in my sewing room.  I ended up using leftover blocks and pieces, like the string blocks and the half square triangles in this one, along with some newer fabric in strips.

Years ago, I cut out too many of these red stars.  Now they can be useful.

I made this one first.  It's kind of a plain Jane.

This one is my favorite.  There's just such a lot going on!

There's been a lot going on with our weather this week!  We've had wind, a little rain, a 70 degree day yesterday, as shown above, and a high of 41 today.  About the only thing we haven't had is snow, and we may get a little of that tomorrow.

Happy Veteran's Day!

To all our veterans, thank you for all you've done for our country.

Each month, members of our quilt group make blocks using a pattern given to us by the powerful and benevolent Nancy, Queen of Scraps.  Usually we draw names of those who participated for a winner, but this time the pre-selected winner is a local group that makes quilts for veterans and their families.  I don't know the name of this 12 in. finished block, but it was very simple to make, and I'm happy to contribute to such a worthy cause.

So what have you been sewing?  I hope you have time this week to do something you really enjoy.

I look forward every week to checking out the linky parties and being amazed at all the wonderful quilts being made.  Come join us!

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at SoScrappy, Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge


 

 


 










 
 

18 comments:

  1. those small quilts are nice and perfect size for a tot. Our weather has been crazy like yours - 80's, 70's and then a couple days later in the 40's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think we're in for cold weather now until spring, but you never know.

      Delete
  2. Is there a pattern for Razzle Dazzle? When I googled, up popped lots of quilts, but none like yours. They are so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I simplified a pattern from the November 1997 Quilter's Newsletter. Here's a link to my first post about it, which will show you how I did it: https://treadlestitches.blogspot.com/2022/01/razzle-dazzle-red.html

      Delete
  3. Your Razzle Dazzle quilt tops are pure fun, Sylvia! You have so many fun prints in them - wish I could come see them in person and do a little close-up inspection like your buddy is doing. Beautiful placemats, too - they will be so loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all your prints are so wonderful zig zagging along

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your zig zag quilts are glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! It's fun to see them together after working on them all year.

      Delete
  6. Such fun quilts and love the holiday placemats. That will liven up any meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rainbow quilts are so pretty. I love the border fabrics. Christmas fabrics are my favorite. I just finished making 8 retangular placemats for children. 4 for each family. We've been having that weird weather also. 70s the last two weekends, rain and sun. Tomorrow a low in the 30s. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CathieJ! There are so many fun Christmas fabrics in the stores. Congrats on the placemats!

      Delete
  8. Two, two quilts in one RSC. Well done. Are you sure the little is inspecting the seams. I thought he might be having fun hunting down his favorite fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwyned! You had me laughing, replaying the Doublemint commercials in my head. My little guy always looks for train fabric. And dogs.

      Delete
  9. I absolutely LOVE those Razzle Dazzle quilt tops!! Have fun with those Christmas placemats, Sylvia. They will make your table SEW festive during the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!