Saturday, November 18, 2023

A Little Quilt, and A Visit from a Friend

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

How's the weather where you live?  We have had lots of sunshine this week, and even a warm day or two, but the nights are below freezing.  Maybe that's why this old maple tree is finally giving up its leaves.

The back is a piece left over from a bigger quilt.  I had to add a strip down the middle to make it big enough.


I did get the little four patch top quilted and ready to donate.  I tried out some new poly batting, and I am very happy with the way it looks and feels.

You might remember this photo from last March!  My grandson is hugging a roll of higher loft poly batting, sent to me by my friend Joey.  There were TWO of these!  I nicknamed them Big Bertha and Gerta.  Unfortunately, I struggled using this weight of batting on my domestic sewing machine and with my limited skills.  Joey offered to trade a lighter weight of poly for these, since she can definitely use them on her long arm machine.

Somehow we managed to get Bertha into the back seat of Joey's car (thank goodness batting squishes!) and Gerta into the trunk.  It must have looked crazy to the neighbors, I hope we aren't on anybody's video.

Here's my new roll of batting.  I'm calling her Polly Esther.  She expanded a bit after I opened the plastic, but nothing like Bertha! 

Not only did Joey drive 3 hours to get here, bring me batting, and take Bertha and Gerta home, she also made this gorgeous thread/scrap catcher for me!  This is the prettiest one I've ever seen.

Here it is laid out.  I absolutely love it.  It might be too pretty to use, but it brightens up the sewing room, so I'm using it.  Thanks, Joey!

We had a lovely day when Joey was here.  We went to an antiques sale, and then out to lunch.  It's great to just have time to talk and laugh and catch up.

I'm doing a little piecing, like these Two Step blocks from Missouri Star, but I don't expect to get much done this week.  Thanksgiving is this Thursday, and I'm the main cook.  I'll be baking brown and serve rolls today to put in the freezer, and bread for the dressing either today or tomorrow.

This is the quilt guild Block of the Month for January, the Potato Chip block.  I'm way ahead of myself making these, but it's hard to stop!  (That's why it's named Potato Chip--you can't make just one!)
 

All the pieces for this block are 2.5 in. x 4.5 in. rectangles, and I have lots of them already cut.  So I may piece a few blocks while the turkey is roasting.

The little boys don't have school at all next week, so we'll find some things to do here.  Little Guy loved our visit to the library this week.  They always have interesting kid-friendly things for the kids to play with, like the pretend Farmers Market in the foreground, and the cardboard barn with chutes for "eggs" to go down.

One day this week was really warm for November, so I let the kids play on the playground for a bit after school.  Buddy is king of the mountain.  (Sorry for the poor quality photo.)

Thanksgiving is a lovely holiday, dedicated to being grateful for all our blessings.  I have so much to be grateful for!  Family and friends are at the very top of the list.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate, and have a wonderful week!

Cheers,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

I'm thankful for these terrific bloggers and the linky parties they host!

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap





 

 




18 comments:

  1. That's such a sweet 4 patch quilt, Sylvia! I've just started making 4 patches from a bucket of scraps I found, and am always looking for ideas for them. Those big rolls of batting are hilarious! So glad you had time with your friend, and figured out who could use what. Happy Thanksgiving - have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! Scraps are the best! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. It's always fun to see what you and little guy are up to. Buddy may king of the mountain, but you are the master of the potato chip block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwynedd! It's a fun easy block, my favorite kind.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it amazing how much batting expands once it's free?! Cute idea for your 4 patch quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! Bertha and Gerta were both in the same package that was no wider than Polly! When I opened it, it was like those rafts that automatically inflated! I was laughing so hard I almost forgot to get out of the way!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely quilt finish, simple but beautiful. Great thread catcher too, so colourful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin! I love making 4 patches and 9 patches with scraps.

      Delete
  5. It was a great day for a drive! I'm so happy that we can get together, Sylvia also did some more organizing & gave me boxes of unwanted vintage fabric, & quilt tops for charity donation. Friends are the FABRIC of life! Happy sewing/quilting this winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "Joey" lol I'm not anonymous!

      Delete
    2. Of course you're not! You are the one and only Joey!

      Delete
    3. Friends are the fabric of life--I love that! Happy sewing to you too, Joey!

      Delete
  6. Joey is one amazing friend. I love your thread catcher too! I'm glad you are using it. I chuckled over the batting. I am thinking of purchasing a lighter poly batting to have on hand. As a domestic machine quilter, I totally understand how a thicker batting would be challenging to use! Your four patch is so happy! Have a terrific Thanksgiving!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh as I made a potato chip block this week too. It got turned into a placemat.... but they are definitely fun to do. I just don't have many 2.5 x 4.5" rectangles cut. But I sure have a lot of scraps and 2.5" strips I can make that size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At Thanksgiving, when I count my blessings, I think of folks like Joey and count them twice. Such a heartwarming and joyful post, Sylvia. Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely child’s quilt. Enjoyed your story of the fluffy batting. Good to see your Library setting up things to entice children into the library.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your latest quilt finish, Sylvia, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your whole post - but I might have loudly chuckled at Polly Esther - that was funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!