Sunday, November 26, 2023

Rainbow Quilt in the Snow

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's gently snowing this morning, and for the first time this season it's sticking.  We're not expected to get more than a couple of inches, but the weather is letting us know what is ahead.  It looked like a good place to put my latest donation quilt finish, a 16 patch baby-size quilt.

The back is a warm flannel print, and the batting is the new poly batt Joey brought me.  It was easy to quilt, and will be nice and warm for a child to snuggle under.  It hasn't been washed yet, but it's in line next, after the Thanksgiving tablecloths.

I used the same border fabric as the Crossroads quilt I finished at the end of October.  The colors are set as a sort of rainbow.

There are so many little "pictures" in the 2 in. finished squares.  I spy a monkey, a ladybug, a football, letters, a frog, a hedgehog, and even a chicken.

The 16 patch above is the 4th Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt I've made this year.  There is a fifth one not quite finished yet, and then there is this big pile of blocks, waiting to be assembled.  Yikes!  I am probably not going to get done by the end of the year.  Maybe I should make fewer blocks next year.  Or bigger quilts!

Remember this RSC quilt from last year?  I finished it in January, and later donated it to the GSAFE Quilt and Fiber Art Auction, which starts this Tuesday, Nov. 28.  GSAFE is an organization that works to help LGBT youth in schools.  Click HERE to learn more about GSAFE.

I have three quilts in the auction, and there are hundreds more items.  The theme is In Rainbowland, which really fits with the RSC quilts, I think!  If you're interested, you can click HERE to preview the auction items.  Bidding starts on Tuesday.  The goal is to raise $30,000.  By the way, my quilts are numbers 231, 236, and 237.
 

I hope everyone who celebrates had a happy Thanksgiving.  I know we did!  My little grandsons and I made the pies on Wednesday.  They stirred up the pumpkin filling and rolled out their pie crust (with help of course!)  Each of them made a small pie, and got to eat it after lunch as an early Thanksgiving treat.

What is this Guy doing?  Is he a robot, or an astronaut?  Believe it or not, there is a practical reason for Little Guy wearing this on his head.

The boys' school was closed for the holiday all week, so on Monday we took them to one of Hubby and Buddy's favorite stores, The Gem Shop, Inc. in Cedarburg.  We bought some small geodes, and everybody had to wear eye protection when Hubby cracked them open.  We had safety glasses for Buddy, but none for Little Guy, so Hubby put that plastic dome on his head.  He liked it so much he wore it off and on the rest of the day.

With Thanksgiving behind us, we're getting ready for the busy Christmas season.  I hope the boys will help us decorate this week, and we'll be getting out all the Christmas quilts.

Have a lovely week!

Cheers for reading this,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday

Angela at So Scrappy

Cynthia at Oh Scrap 
 










10 comments:

  1. I love 16 patches, and yours made a delightful quilt, Sylvia! That sounds like a great organization to donate quilts, too, and I bet your beautiful quilts will bring in lots of money for them. What fun to help the buddies make their own pumpkin pies, too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! There are so many wonderful quilts in the auction, and lots of other knitted, crocheted, woven etc. items! I'm especially tempted by the cute little Pride pigs!

      Delete
  2. TWO finishes for the RSC? Way to go, Sylvia!! LOVE that Zig Zag quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'm glad I still had that quilt when I found out about the auction. Hope it can raise some money for them.

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty rainbow finish. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your 16 patch quilt is delightful, so many snippets of fabric to look at. Love the bluebird backing too. Hope your three quilts do well in the auction. Thanksgiving looked a success at your house. You certainly find some interesting things for your little grandsons to do in the school hopidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I try to find projects for the boys to do so it's a fun day for all of us. Plus less arguing between them!

      Delete
  5. Your 16 patch finish is wonderful! What fun to look at each patch to find all sorts of motifs! I loved the pumpkin pie baking! What fun you have at your house!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! These little guys are pretty good bakers. I'm lucky to have them around!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!