Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Satisfaction Guaranteed




I finished a quilt yesterday.  You might remember it.  I wrote about piecing it last September (and gave the pattern), in this post:  Feed Sack Challenge  and also wrote about quilting the blocks in this post Flying Feedsack Squares .

It was a lot of fun to piece, and quilting the blocks one by one was fun, too, and really easy.  The thing that slowed me down was making time to hand sew the backs of the rows together.  I'm not sure why I procrastinate on that.  I like handwork.  I guess I'm not always in the mood for it.

Here's what it looks like laid out flat.  There are 7 rows of 6 blocks each.
Everything in this quilt besides the batting is made from feed sacks or flour sacks.  All of these came from my collection/stash.  Sadly I did not even make a dent in it.

Here's a corner.  The border feedsack was one of the first ones I ever bought.  I had three of this print.  I used one whole sack and part of the second one.  The binding is a dark blue print feed sack.

Here's a hint of the back.

This is the back laid out flat.  I used mostly white flour sacks for the back.  I cut out the squares and added them randomly when I was quilting.  I had to cut around holes and stains (although I left a few small stains).
Here's good old Gold Medal Flour, and Pillsbury, some of the few brands that are still around.

Doughboy flour has part of the lady's head on one block and part on another.  There's also a bag from Greensboro, Indiana, called Defender.

This one puzzled me a little--Emergency Flour?  I looked it up, and found out it dates to the end of World War II.  President Truman used an executive order to change the consistency of flour, so there would be more flour to send to the devastated countries of Europe.  There are even recipes online for how to use it.  This mill was in Evansville, Indiana, my mother's home town.
This flour bag came with a printed Humpty Dumpty toy, for the housewife to make for her child.  I decided I'd rather preserve it in a quilt.


Several of these bags had this message, but none proclaimed them as emphatically: Satisfaction Guaranteed.

The flour these bags held is long gone.  So are the cakes, pies, loaves of bread, cookies, biscuits, and whatever else was baked from it.

As I run my hand across the quilt, or wrap it around me for a nap, I am very grateful these cloth artifacts survived, and happy I could give them a new home in a new/old quilt.

Quilting?  Satisfaction guaranteed.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!