Friday, October 13, 2017

Apples, Cats, and Quilts

Here's one of the best things about fall--apples!  We got a bushel of Macintosh apples from the orchard yesterday.  I take my husband along to do the heavy lifting, and I usually pick out what are called "seconds" to save money.  Seconds are still good, but not perfect, so they are cheaper.  Since I fall into that category myself, I don't mind "not perfect" at all.
I peeled and sliced a batch of them, and canned some quarts for pies and crisps this winter.
The cores are stuffed into this old crock to make vinegar.  For this particular crock, I add 2 quarts of water and half a cup of sugar.  The ratio is one quarter cup sugar to each quart of water.  You want the water to cover the cores.
Then you put a piece of cheesecloth over the top and secure it with a rubber band.  It will sit on the shelf in my kitchen cupboard for a few weeks, until it smells like vinegar.  Then I'll strain it and put it in glass bottles.  The  resulting apple vinegar is good in baking, and my oldest daughter takes it to ward off a cold.
I still have to make applesauce (on the stove now as I type) and do another small batch of pie apples.  The house smells great.
This week's finishes are lap quilts.
Imagine you are an elderly person.  (If you're lucky, you'll get to be one someday.)  Now imagine it's winter, your knees are cold, and you'd like to cover up with a quilt but it's a problem with your wheelchair.  You would need a lap robe.
That's what I made this week.
The first one is flannel, top and back.  I got the pieces for the top a few weeks ago at a flea market.  There was a nice big stack of flannel rectangles, cut 2.5 in. x 3.5 in., in a bag of scraps I bought for $2.  I made 4 patches out of them, and added the light colored fabric from my stash, plus a few flannel rectangles to make 30 blocks.  Flannel borders top and bottom made the quilt square and just about the right size.
The nursing home we give these to asked for quilts about a yard square.  You can see from the yardstick I fell a little short with this one.  Not perfect.  I think it will be okay anyway.
The back is more of that cozy plaid flannel.
Here's the second quilt, made of regular cotton on the front and flannel on the back. 
The cat fabric was donated to our quilt group.  There were yards and yards of different prints.  Our leaders divided it up into half yard pieces, and handed them out as a challenge, to make a quilt for charity.  I cut all these cats out of the half yard Colleen gave me, and framed them with 2.5 in. strips from the scrap bins and baskets.
Success!  This one is a yard square!  I hope the recipient likes cats, because ...
the back is a flannel cat print from my stash.  There's no way to get away from cats with this quilt.
I'm linking up with Busy Hands Quilts, Crazy Mom Quilts, and Can I Get A Whoop Whoop this week.  It is so inspiring seeing what other people are making.
Well, back to the applesauce.  Happy fall!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

















8 comments:

  1. That's great information on the lap robes. I make quilts for Project Linus, and I have thought about expanding outward to doing lap robes for the nursing home and rehabilitation center my father was in for a few weeks last year. Great inspiration! Oh, and I wish my computer had smell-o-vision. I love the smell of applesauce cooking on the stove top. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. The first batch of applesauce is in the canner! I'm about to fall over from the smell of apples and cinnamon.

      Delete
  2. Those apples in the jar sure look nice! Our apple crop was hailed out this year. It's amazing what 3 hail storms can do to the apples and garden. The insurance man said we didn't have damage on our house. Hmmmm. Kind of amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your apple crop! Three hail storms? That's just awful.

      Delete
  3. Your creativity with the apples is wonderful. And the lap quilts look lovely and are sure to be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! I've got one more batch of apples to go, maybe tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. What a great job using that cat fabric. I envy you the apple crisp and pies that are sure to happen this winter. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, grammajudyb! I've got more cat fabric that I think I can get a baby quilt out of. Wish I could send you a pie!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!