Saturday, October 21, 2017

Some Assembly Required

Thank goodness, I finally finished canning the bushel of pears I bought at the orchard!  I saved out about a dozen for eating, and put up halves and slices to have all winter.
With that "homework" out of the way, I can work on getting ready to go on a quilting retreat next weekend.
Believe it or not, there are 3 quilts in this box.  Some assembly required, of course.
A couple of weeks ago I started taming down my wild Christmas scraps, which looked like this:
I also cut into what Christmas yardage I had.
Here's what I'm going to make:
1.  Sticks and Stones quilt
This is a free pattern, designed by Bonnie Hunter but not on her web page.  You can find it HERE.  It takes 5 in. squares, 1.5 x 5 in. rectangles, and 1.5 in. squares for the center.  I'm making red blocks and green blocks.  They are 10 in. square finished.
2.  Four pointed Christmas stars
I'm adapting a Bonnie Hunter pattern here.  Yes, Bonnie again, but for scrappy quilts you can't go wrong with Bonnie Hunter.  This one is Star Struck, and you can get the free pattern HERE.  I changed it slightly, leaving out the triangles on the background rectangles.  Again, I'll be making half the blocks red and the other half green.  All the pieces are cut from 2.5 in. strips.

3.  Classic triple rail fence
I've only got 3 blocks done so far, but there are just dozens of pieces this size.  The rectangles are cut 2 in. x 5 in., so they'll finish as 4.5 in. squares.  I'm going to make all of them with one green strip, one red strip, and one light strip in the center.  Turned the right way, they look a little like the Italian flag.
But wait, there's more!
It is so hard for me to cut out quilts and delay sewing them!  Setting these aside for the retreat has been like torture.  I finally broke down and started yet ANOTHER Christmas quilt, using the triangles left over from the Four Pointed Christmas stars.
They're cute, they're scrappy, and they're making me happy!  There were a lot of 2.5 in. squares in that pile of scrap, which make great 4 patch centers for the stars.  All the triangles I've used so far came from the Four Pointed Christmas stars.  I cut the larger triangles with the Companion Angle ruler from 2.5 in. strips.  The corner squares are also cut from those strips, or from 5 in. squares I have on hand.
So, not a lot finished this week, aside from the pears.
But a whole lot started!
Also, this:
He's a very willing worker, but Grandpa and I have to remind him not to eat the leaves.
I hope your week is filled with love and laughter.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches
Link ups today:
Busy Hands Quilts
Crazy Mom Quilts









15 comments:

  1. Great patterns that will make great Christmas quilts! Sweet helper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Isn't he terrific? I am the luckiest Grandma ever.

      Delete
  2. What FUN you are going to have!!! You are going to end up with some really cute Christmas quilts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY goodness - I love all your Christmas sewing. What fun you must be having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I am really getting into the Christmas spirit early this year.

      Delete
  4. Love all your projects and your pears will be delicious this winter. Such beautiful food and blocks!!! you can be proud of yourself for sure!! Take care from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, you are going to have fun at that retreat! It looks lik you are well into Christmas mode. I'm visiting from Crazy Mom Quilts and hop you'll visit me and take part in my poll. I need help choosing a fabric for a Christmas block I am making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janice! I love the block you're making, it will be a great quilt whatever you do, but I did add my two cents! Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I also think it would be torture to cut without sewing! I hope you have a fantastic retreat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute little leaf-eater! Those blocks are all looking pretty fantastic, but the friendship star in Christmas colors are my fav. I'm already jealous of the canned pears. So pretty and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I can't wait to start sewing all of these up. Thursday!

      Delete
  8. Thank goodness, I finally finished canning the bushel of pears I bought at the orchard! I saved out about a dozen for eating, and put u

    sơn đồ gỗ

    sơn đồ gỗ tại nhà

    son cho cua go thi son loai nao

    sơn gỗ loại nào tốt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!