Saturday, January 30, 2021

Last Call for Pink


Welcome to Treadlestitches, and to the last pink week of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2021.  This photo of a pink sunrise this week seemed appropriate.

How are you coming along on your pink projects?  We had five Saturdays this month, so I'm less behind than usual.

The rest of my projects have been blocks for baby quilts, made from bright colored scraps and novelty prints.  But I do have a few drawers (and baskets and boxes, etc.) of 1800s reproduction scraps, and I don't want them to be left out of the party.

I'm making Lemoyne star blocks, 2 each month, from the repro fabrics.  In the past, I've made these by hand because I had lots of trouble sewing inset angles by machine.  This time, it's all machine piecing.  I'm hoping practice will help me get sharp points (especially in the center!) and that the blocks will lay flat.  I'm not completely there yet, but maybe by the end of the year!

And as long as I was digging into the gorgeous pink repro scraps, I started another project.  (Well, of course I did.)  It's a Civil War history Block of the Month (BOM), by Barbara Brackman.  (Click HERE for the first post.)  The BOM is called Hands All Around:  Alcotts at War.  Each month, Barbara will give us a star block to piece, plus an in depth post on author Louisa May Alcott and her family during the Civil War.  Ms. Brackman has promised that the blocks will be simple, and easy enough for beginners, which anyone with a busy life can appreciate.

I'm going to try to combine this new project with the RSC.  My plan is to use the same background and the same blue print for the star points in each block, with the RSC color in the center.  We'll see if this is possible.  BTW, did I mention this BOM is free? 

So, this happened Tuesday.  Even though we only got about 7 inches of snow, it fell at just the wrong time, right at morning commute, so schools were closed.  Our high school grandson was just starting back in person instead of virtual, so he got a much-loved day off.  Little Buddy's preschool was closed, too.

Here's what the driveway and street look like now.  We had our first below zero temps this week, so of course nothing has melted.  We're supposed to get a big storm tonight, too.

It's a good thing there's plenty to do indoors.  Baby Buddy and I work puzzles as a team.  He takes the pieces out, and I put them back.

Warning!  Something scary is coming!

It's the Little Buddy-asaurus!  Run!

Little Buddy loves taking pictures with my camera.  He was really proud of this one.  "You can even see my feet!" he said to me.  I guess when my feet accidentally get into a quilt picture I should just roll with it.  His feet are cuter than mine, though.

I didn't get a lot of sewing done this week, but at least I finished enough of these little blocks for a baby quilt.  The clothespins clip together sets of ten.  I'm using 72 blocks, set 8 across and 9 down.

So that's what I'll be working on today.  What's going on in your world? 

Have a lovely week, and stay safe!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Join us at the linky parties!
 
I'm linking up with:
Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
Cynthia at Oh Scrap

 









24 comments:

  1. Pretty PINK blocks for the RSC, Sylvia! I like your idea for that new BOM you joined. SEW hoping your plan works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! But you know what they say about the best laid plans!

      Delete
  2. I love the photos of your buddies and of the quilt projects as well. You are so lucky to get to spend this time with your grandsons, and they will be better people all their lives because of your love. I think loving grandparents are one of the best parts of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliana, that is so sweet! I can definitely say my life is better because of my grandparents, so I hope I can pass it along. You're right, I am a very lucky grandma!

      Delete
  3. Love those pretty pink blocks and cute blocks for the baby quilt. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Lemoyne star blocks are pretty, Sylvia! Looks to me like your points and corners are coming together nicely. I like the Barbara Brackman star, too. Snow days are always fum - I was a teacher so I like them, too! I would say Baby Buddy agrees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I will never forget my first snow day as a school librarian. It was like being a kid again! A whole day off! And we had 4 snow days my first year!

      Delete
  5. You've done a great job on the LeMoyne Stars. Your other stars using the blue points with the inside 9 patch looks great. Hum, I think your snowstorm is headed my way. We're expecting snow first thing tomorrow morning to last all day. It's been comical listening to the amount of snow the experts have been talking about. Now it's down to 3 to 6 or so. That's ok with us as we aren't going anywhere anyway. Have fun with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I didn't show the back side of the stars, though! There is still some improvement needed with seam allowances, etc. On the snow front, around here it's always wait and see. Could be a lot, but might just pass us by. You have fun, too!

      Delete
  6. I love your pink blocks! I just stated a Lemoyne star project a few days ago as well. I am using a bit of a hybrid approach, but am using the machine as well. Some blocks have gone together better than others. I'm sure you'll improve as you get some under your belt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carissa! Practice makes perfect, right? Or in my case, maybe not perfect, I'm just aiming for okay. Best of luck with your stars!

      Delete
  7. Lovely pink stars for the RSC, Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! If you could see the back...well, I'll keep trying and maybe both sides will look okay.

      Delete
  9. They all look great - I think I need 5 saturdays each month haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Alycia! I vote for 5 Saturdays every month!

      Delete
  10. Today I was recycling and re-homing. Re-homed items to the thrift store, and recycled flattened cardboard boxes. That helps clear out the deteris here in our tin home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, QuiltGranma! I need to do that, too! I've got some things ready to go, just need to get up the gumption.

      Delete
  11. Great pink star blocks. The baby quilt blocks look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy! To me, most baby quilt blocks are fun! Bright colors and simple patterns, in a size I can quilt myself--I'm all in!

      Delete
  12. I think your idea of combining the BOM with RSC ought to work just fine. I had to laugh when I saw Buddy-asaurus and his feet. Then you posted a picture of your baby quilt blocks and I immediately looked for your feet/shoes! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susie H! The next time I accidentally include my feet in a photo I'm just going to post it anyway! It's a plus, right?

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!