Saturday, January 9, 2021

Pink!

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

It's been a very strange start to 2021.  Thank goodness for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, to help us keep our hopes up and focus on something besides the horrors in the news.

I have often whined about not liking pink.  So where did all these pink scraps come from?  No matter, they have to get used up, and sewing these blocks is so much fun.

These are 6 in. finished blocks:  friendship star, plus blocks (aka ninepatch), and crumb hearts.  There is a temptation to call them "broken" hearts because of all the little pieces, but I'd rather think of them as Patchwork hearts, full of all kinds of things to love.

But wait, there's more!

These little blocks have a 2.5 in. cut square for the center and 2.5 x 4.5 in. rectangles around it.  The secret to making them like this is using a partial seam for the first seam.  Easy, and uses up 2.5 in. strips and squares.

Now for the 8 in. finished blocks!

I'm making Happy Blocks, with 4.5 in. cut centers and 2.5 in. cut strips around them.  (Click HERE for the tutorial.)  I'm cutting the centers from fun prints, mostly my favorite novelties.  The stars have 4 patch centers made from 2.5 in. squares, with the star points and backgrounds cut from 2.5 in. strips.

Also, this.

Ice cream cones!  I was inspired to make these by reading the Making a Lather blog, by Maggie Fellow.  (She makes so many great scrap quilts!) I looked at several patterns on the internet, and finally just decided to figure it out myself.  The cone part is cut with the Tri-Rex rulers, and the top is a 4.5 in. cut square with little background corners to sort of round out the ice cream.  The background is a dessert print, with cake and cupcakes and ice cream.  I will see how many blocks I can get out of it before I have to switch to another background.

Quilters, I know what you're thinking, and you're right.  This is a lot of projects!  But I do have a plan.  

One of my greatest joys is making quilts for babies and children.  They are donated to good causes, like kids in foster care or hospitals, or to families welcoming a child with Down's Syndrome.  This year, I'm making blocks for those quilts as I participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  When we come to the end of the year, I will have enough blocks to make a nice stack of quilts to give away.  (There won't be pink blocks in every quilt though, since many charities request gender-neutral quilts.)

And about pink--I'm finding that I actually like it!

I think I know where some of the pink scraps came from.  For years, it was my granddaughter's favorite color, and I made her a few things with it.  Miss E. is a joy, and it was so good to see her at our social distanced holiday party last weekend.  In the photo above, she's wearing a mask, and playing with slime she got for Christmas.  Little Buddy thinks slime is the greatest thing ever.  Little Buddy, who is 4, and Baby Buddy (now 10 months) were the only ones not wearing masks for the lunch-and-presents party.

I hope you're feeling "in the pink" today, and ready to take on the challenges of this new year. Let's keep planning, keep hoping, keep looking ahead to a better future.

And let's eat ice cream!

Cheers for reading this!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 






16 comments:

  1. For someone who is not SEW fond of PINK, you certainly did make a nice collection of blocks, Sylvia!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! I think I might be starting to like pink--who knew?

      Delete
  2. You have a lot of fun pink blocks there, Sylvia! I love the crumb hearts and the ice cream cones, too. I have a project box full of those blocks in your 3rd picture down - someone called them Bright Hopes blocks - and I started making them. I should get them back out again! Slime is indeed the best toy ever! My 5th grade students used to love making it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! My granddaughter loves making her own slime, too! She's a 4th grader. I think we should have bought some for Little Buddy!

      Delete
  3. Oh what fun pink projects - but the ice creams!!! LOVE them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! I am going to have so much fun adding in all the "flavors" this year.

      Delete
  4. Pretty pink blocks, and such yummy looking ice cream cones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I wish it wasn't so cold here, I could really go for an ice cream cone for real!

      Delete
  5. You do have a lot of pink! So many great blocks already. I am sure they will all find good homes. So glad that you got to spend time with your family, Isolation can be so challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! These are tough times indeed. Quilting makes it better! Thanks for all your work for us.

      Delete
  6. I am inspired to start making so many projects because I love all your blocks! I haven’t started making pink blocks, as I have some gifts to make, but I’ll be visiting your blog for more inspiration and may join you with several of the blocks. Love the ice cream blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bunch of pinks and cute blocks.
    Ice cream blocks are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many cute blocks! I had to chuckle when I read your comment about having so many pink scraps. I don't care for orange, yet there they are in my scrap basket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Dec. someone posted how to make present blocks, with bows on top. With your ice cream cones, and a cake block and candles one could make a birthday quilt! OOps another squirrel idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree -- let's eat ice cream!!! Love the blocks and the background fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!