Saturday, January 16, 2021

Rainbows

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

Lately, I've been thinking about rainbows a lot.  It could be because it looks like this outside.

It's been a pretty mild winter so far in this part of Wisconsin, but the snow lingers on.  The view above is NOT a black and white photo.

Thankfully, there is lots of color indoors.

Like Little Buddy's markers for drawing and coloring,

and a colorful emoji puzzle.  (I had to explain to Little Buddy what emojis are.  He calls them "mojis".)

This was the perfect time to work on my Rainbow Quilt In A Box, which I mentioned a couple of weeks ago.  

Over the last year or so, I have been cutting 2.5 in. x 4.5 in. rectangles from bright scraps, and saving them in this box.  I cut the pieces when I was cutting for other projects, and especially when I could use up a strip.

Back in April, I made the quilt below with some of the rectangles from a free pattern called Brick House shared by Jo Kramer of Jo's Country Junction.  (Click HERE for the pattern.)

(Oh, that's what spring looks like!)

Of course I had leftover pieces.  This week, I put them together like this.

It's a baby quilt, approx. 40 in. x 42 in., and will go to Quilts for Kids.  I don't really have a pattern for it, it's just a classic bricks quilt.

I had to make a chart to keep things organized and to know how many rectangles and squares I needed for each color.  There are two kinds of rows.  The odd rows just have 10 rectangles.  The even rows start and end with a square, and have 9 rectangles.  I made a total of 21 rows.

The rainbow binding came from  my 2 in. strips bag.  The back is this fun print of skates and skateboards and scooters and bicycles and even balloons.  (I love novelty fabrics, can you tell?)

I always learn something when I make a quilt.  This one taught me a couple of things.

1.  Contrast is important!  Some of these rows blur into each other because the colors are very similar.

2.  Having a chart really helps.

3.  I need more dark purple and aqua.  (I think I know how to fix that!)

Baby Buddy posed for me (sort of).  His toys bring a lot of color into the house.  He and his brothers bring the sunshine.

In other news, a baking experiment actually turned out okay!  I used some of my homemade mincemeat as the filling for cinnamon rolls.  Even the pickier grandson (I won't say which one) loved them.

We've got a long winter ahead of us.  In the weeks and months ahead, we're going to need our strength, our common sense, and our connections to each other.

I'm going to keep looking for the rainbows.  Have a good week, and stay safe!

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap
 

24 comments:

  1. Sylvia, your rainbow bricks quilt is just wonderful! It is everything I love about rainbow quilts all rolled into one. Your fun novelty fabrics are perfect for this kind of quilt, and the backing is just great, too! Glad you have those cute buddies to bring sunshine into your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your rainbow brick quilt! I'm creating bricks for a long term project and I hope mine ends up looking as happy as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten! It's fun to cut pieces ahead. Good luck with your project.

      Delete
  3. Super cute quilt finish, Sylvia (and some of my favorite toddler toys!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! It's great to finally finish something.

      Delete
  4. What a cutie. We were suppose to get snow on Friday, it missed us. No complaints about that. Your quilts look very colourful and just what the doctor ordered. Colour our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! I love seeing all the color in everybody's quilts. It's a feast for the eyes, especially in winter.

      Delete
  5. now, I think I need a rainbow quilt in a box - how fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Maggie! You had two pink quilts in a box, which looked like lots of fun! I love making kits for myself from scraps.

      Delete
  6. We all need a little color in our lives over the winter! Both quilts are bright and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful rainbow quilts Sylvia!!!
    Keep safe and and good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ivani! I hope you have a safe and happy week, too.

      Delete
  8. I love your little rainbow quilt. It is hard not to run to my scraps and make one of my own. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty Rainbows - I bet they make you happy after that grey photo - that is such a pretty photo - but that it is normal and not black and white is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! Color is more important than ever in a Wisconsin winter. It's gray now, but our summers are beautiful.

      Delete
  10. Wow, I love all the rainbows going on here in your world! Despite the outdoors!?! Cute, cute rainbow quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Sewing with all these bright colors makes even winter much warmer.

      Delete
  11. Your rainbow bricks quilt is darling, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful rainbow you have for dreary weather -- quilts, fabrics, markers, toys, and grandbabies. Who cares what the weather looks like outside. You have goodness indoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie H! We are lucky to be warm and safe inside, and have lots of colors to play with.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!