Saturday, March 20, 2021

Springtime in Wisconsin

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!  Happy International Quilting Day!

We are feeling the joy of early spring here.  Our winters are typically long and cold, but it's all worth it when the trees start budding out...

the rhubarb breaks through the ground ...

and lovely green tulip leaves appear.  

Speaking of green, I finished my green blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

I love making these green hearts from tiny leftover pieces.  I wonder if someone (like me?) who loves plants and gardens but can't quite be said to have a green thumb could instead have a green heart?  I hereby apologize to all the houseplants I have neglected.

I tried to think of flavors for this month's ice cream cone blocks. I've got lime sherbet (with bits of lemon and raspberry), mint/blueberry, and pistachio, but the fourth one has me stumped.  I have read that there is actually a green tea flavored ice cream, but I'm not sure that sounds delicious.

Last are the half square triangles, four of each fabric.  I still don't know exactly what blocks I'm making, so they'll stay loose until I figure it out.

How are you coming along on your RSC blocks?  It's always great and inspiring to see everyone's projects.

This is the March block for Barbara Brackman's Hands All Around block of the month quilt, which is based on Louisa May Alcott and her family.  The block is called Anna's Choice, and Ms. Brackman chose this one for Louisa's sister Anna.  (Click HERE for the block.)  Meg in the book Little Women is based on Anna Alcott.  For my quilt, I'm using the same blue print and light background in all the blocks, and the RSC colors in the center.

New project alert!  It's called the Lemonade Challenge.  My quilt guild has literally tons of donated fabric, which we use to make charity quilts.  The intrepid ladies on the charity committee have made up packets of fabrics, mostly half yards and fat quarters, and challenged us to make a quilt top.

 
 

These fabrics are good quality quilting cotton, just not currently fashionable.  We have to use at least a small piece of 2/3 of the fabrics, but can add in our own.  I love scrap quilts (of course!) and I have lots of older fabric, so this should be fun.  Any ideas?  It's not due til October.

Sadly, no photos of Baby Buddy this week.  He was recovering from a cold and needed lots of cuddling.  I did get a not-very-good photo of Little Buddy, seen here with his usual fierce dinosaur face on.   Little Buddy and Grandpa set up pirate ships and forts in the living room, and Little Buddy added the dinosaurs to the mix.  We always have to have dinosaurs, of course!

One more sign of spring--the Sandhill cranes are back!  I wasn't fast enough to get a picture when they walked by a few moments ago, but here's one from last year so you know what I'm talking about.

The cranes are migratory birds that were once rare in Wisconsin, but have rebounded in great numbers.  For the past couple of years we have seen a nesting pair in the small wetland in the park behind our house.  They are about 4 feet tall, with a wingspan of 6-7 feet.  I am always overjoyed to catch a glimpse of them flying overhead, or just strolling past the window.

Spring is always a joyful time, and more so now as we begin to emerge from this terrible pandemic.  Have a good week, and stay safe!

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy, Home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 

 

 











27 comments:

  1. you've made a lot of progress - I think the lemonade challenge sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! This kind of challenge would be perfect for you, with your talent for making great scrap quilts!

      Delete
  2. Your green crumb hearts are wonderful, Sylvia! Are you making them from crumb rectangles with stitch and flip corners? I might like to try them! Have fun with the lemonade challenge, too - I'll be interested to see what you do with your bag of goodies. And wonderful to see the sandhill cranes - they are such interesting birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Diann! Yes, I'm using the free simple heart pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew, and making the 3.5 x 6.5 rectangles from crumbs. Here's the link: https://cluckclucksew.com/2019/01/simple-hearts-quilt-free-pattern.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link, Sylvia! I'm putting your idea on my "must try" list!

      Delete
  3. Nice job on your GREEN blocks for the RSC. What an intriguing donation quilt challenge, Sylvia! Best of luck with making Lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I'm sort of stuck in Can't-Decide land right now on the Lemonade challenge.

      Delete
  4. How about kiwi for your fourth ice cream cone block? Or green grape? Or granny smith apple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi! Wow! These are wonderful flavors! You are a genius!

      Delete
  5. Love the freen crumb hearts for the RSC, Sylvia. Great shot of Sandhill cranes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely green blocks. Those ice cream cones are fun. Your Lemonade Challenge is so inspiring and I have a million ideas running around my head. From a simple Ohio Star block to a complex Shakespeare in the Park quilt, the fun is all yours. Lucky girl! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chantal! I really love a quilt challenge. I had to look up Shakespeare in the Park, it is amazing!

      Delete
  7. I'm always searching for different ways to use crumbs. I've never made hearts so that is what crumby block I think will be next. I like how yours turned out.

    For the ice cream you could make the lime sherbet be spumoni and the last one be the lime sherbet. I need to get my ice cream quilt quilted. I'm just not sure how.

    Our rhubarb is making and appearance too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your green blocks are all so pretty. I was looking at my rhubarb yesterday and it is already starting to unfurl leaves. Come on spring!

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhubarb is so amazing. Every winter it seems like it's gone forever, and then there it is, the perfect tangy taste for spring.

      Delete
  9. So much green goodness in your post!im craving ice cream noe and it’s only 7:42am!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for spring!! your greens are great! and enjoy the lemonade project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia! The only hard part is deciding what to make. Then it's off to the races.

      Delete
  11. Green tea ice cream is delicious!!! Especially if eaten at a tea house in Kyoto, Japan. Those sandhill cranes must be a sight to see. Nice work on a variety of quilt blocks, too, of course! Happy worldwide quilting day! A little late...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, going to a tea house in Japan sounds amazing! And it's good to know that green tea ice cream is definitely worth trying.

      Delete
  12. How fabulous to see the cranes live and in person! And I love the idea of having a "green heart." Whatever green is in there doesn't make it all the way to my thumbs, either. Very clever for your guild to try to make lemonade out of fabric "lemons." I would think one of Bonnie Hunter's designs that use shirt fabrics would work well with those more muted, older fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Louise! Thanks for the suggestion. Bonnie uses all sorts of scraps, so that's a good place to start.

      Delete
  13. Look at you go with your green blocks. Great job and congratulations on rewarding yourself with a new project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! New projects are so exciting. I'm afraid I reward myself with them quite often!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!