Saturday, March 27, 2021

Pink and Purple Trip

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

No outside pictures today, as we're having a gentle spring rain.  Birds are venturing out, however, and I can hear their songs and calls.  I saw our first robin this week, just one so far, but they'll soon be here in flocks.

I made this little Trip Around the World quilt on International Quilting Day last week, and it will be sent to Little Lambs Foundation as part of this year's Hands2Help Challenge.  (Click HERE for more information on how you can help!)  The donated quilts will go to babies entering foster care.

I have not been a lifelong fan of pink (understatement!).  Yet somehow I have lots of pink scraps.  In January, when it was pink month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I sorted some of the scraps, added in purple, and cut out the squares for this quilt.

The back is a soft flannel.  Simple quilting with a serpentine stitch and a purple print binding finish it up.

Plus, bunnies!  Just in time for Easter.  Want to make one?  It's super easy.  Recipe below.

Trip Around the World Baby Quilt
Here's the recipe for this 36 in. x 36 in. quilt.
I used six fabrics in the Trip Around the World part, which I labeled A through F.  All squares were cut 4.5 in.  Here's how many to cut.
A:  5 (center and four corners)
B:  4
C:  8 
D:  12
E:  12
F:  8
Instructions:
Lay out the squares in rows, 7 squares across and 7 squares down, following the layout from the photo.  An A square goes in the center, B squares surround it, etc.  Sew the squares into rows, and the rows together.
Borders: 
Inner border:  Cut 4 strips of a light fabric, 1.5 in. x width of fabric.  Measure the center and add the borders.
Outer border:  Cut 4 strips 3.5 in. x width of fabric.  Measure the quilt and add the borders.
 
In other news, it's the last Saturday in March, which means the end of green month for the RSC.  I thought I had all my blocks finished last week, but I forgot about the Happy Blocks.  Oops!
These don't look very green, do they?  The center squares are green, but the frames are just whatever color I had that goes with the novelty prints in the middle.  For some reason a lot of them looked good with orange.


 


Paddington Bear, tractors, cows, and those cheeky monkeys!  I love novelty prints!

Guess what else I love!

Sorry about the blurry picture.  Baby Buddy doesn't hold still much.  He got a new tooth this week!

Little Buddy was excited to show us the little Easter basket/box he made at preschool.  He's wearing one of his favorite dinosaur shirts.  I should apologize for this photo, too.   I didn't notice all the reflections in the glass of the bookcase.

A Trip Around the World quilt is as close as we're getting to traveling for spring break, but we don't mind at all.  Until we're fully vaccinated, we'll stay close to home and enjoy spending time with the family.

Have a good week, and Happy Passover and/or Palm Sunday to all who celebrate.

Thanks for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Here's a great way to travel the quilt world--just click on a linky party!

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy, home of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
Sarah at Can I Get A Whoop Whoop, home of the Hands2Help Challenge
Cynthia at Oh Scrap


 




 

 






25 comments:

  1. Your Trip Around the World quilt is adorable, Sylvia! I'm going to send a quilt to Little Lambs this year, too. I love Happy Blocks - and they go with your happy boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diann! I've made quilts for Little Lambs before. They are very responsive, and the quilts go for such a good cause.

      Delete
  2. Happy times with two such amazing little people to keep you company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your quilt finish! Thanks for the recipe for cooking up that sweet Trip quilt, Sylvia. Nice work on those fun GREEN (centered) Happy blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyful! I may have gotten a little carried away with Happy Blocks.

      Delete
  4. Good to see your buddies with their big smiles! Also good to see that gorgeous pink and purple quilt!
    Love the happy blocks, and of course most things look good with orange!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many happy fabrics in those happy blocks. Love the monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable TATW quilt and adorable babies !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pink quilt is very sweet, and will make someone very happy! Like you, I prefer other colors, so the second piece really calls my name. So many fun fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! A motto to live by: You can never have too many fun fabrics.

      Delete
  8. Pink and purple baby quilt is adorable,sooooo cute and you made it for a good cause.Blessed Palm Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada, Ivani! I hope you had a lovely Palm Sunday, too.

      Delete
  9. Purple and pink is always a favorite combination for me. Your little finish is very sweet. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! And as always, thanks for keeping it real on Oh Scrap.

      Delete
  10. The pink and purple TATW is a perfect baby quilt. I love the grins on your little guys. They always look so happy to be at Grandma's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KatieQ! The boys are pretty happy most of the time, but I admit to not taking their picture when they are thunderclouds. We'll focus on the positive.

      Delete
  11. I liked your serpentine quilting in your trip around the world quilt. Your little guys sure have the most joyful expressions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terry! They have other expressions, but those aren't too photogenic.

      Delete
  12. Sweet quilt for Little Lambs! I like your RSC blocks, too. I have gotten a lot looser with RSC blocks this year, too. If a fabric has just a bit of the color of the month in it, it’s good enough for me. Have fun with those little sweethearts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may be a little jealous about that soft rain happening!! What a sweet quilt - isn't it funny how we get colors we really aren't partial to - yet they work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alycia! We are definitely blessed with water here. When my mom visits from Oklahoma she always notices how green everything is.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!