Friday, July 2, 2021

Happy Birthday, U.S.A.!

 Welcome to Treadlestitches!

(Side note:  A weird thing has happened to some of the comments on former blog posts.  I tried to get rid of a few that were just advertisements, and other comments were inadvertently deleted.  They now say "This comment has been removed by a blog administrator".  If this happened to a comment you made, I apologize profusely.  I had no intention of removing your comment, unless you posted about a herpes cure or somebody called Dr. Lucky.)


I'm getting on board with the July 4th holiday two days early.  I'm in good company--John Adams himself believed we would be celebrating the "Great Anniversary" on July 2nd.  No matter the exact date on the calendar, we have good reasons to celebrate the founding of our nation, and its continued existence for 245 years.  In spite of Civil War, the Great Depression, a worldwide pandemic, and many other trials, we are still here, and I am very grateful.

Last year's Fourth of July was very quiet, due to the pandemic.  I spent the evening sewing the center of this quilt top.  The pattern comes from the estimable Bonnie Hunter, and is available for free on her web page (Click HERE).  As I sewed, I listened to a CD of the Hamilton musical.  A very patriotic evening.

I should note that I changed the size of the pieces in the pattern so I could use my 2.5 in. strips and squares.

I had the center completely pieced by August 1st, but had trouble deciding on the borders, especially since I wanted a rectangular quilt instead of a square one.  When I showed the top on this blog, Angela of So Scrappy suggested I add two more rows to the top and bottom before the borders, and that's what I did.  Then I added a wider white print border, and an outer pieced blue one.  The corners are red print squares.

So now, nearly a year later, I just need to get it quilted.  Probably not by this July 4th!  I just hope it's done by next year!

Meanwhile, I got a few blocks done for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Blue is the color for July.  I'm using medium and dark blue scraps this month.  It's amazing to think we're more than half way through the year.

Another milestone of summer--our raspberries are ripening.  My little buddies love picking (and eating!) the berries every morning.

Here's a new way of watering the plants.  My Little Buddy is using a squirt gun!  A friend gave us some squirt guns that had belonged to her daughters a long time ago.  I've had to forbid him to shoot any of the rest of us, including his baby brother, as we're not big fans of having cold water in our faces!  I think we'll set up some targets next week.

Happy Independence Day to all Americans.  May we have many more!  And to everyone, have a lovely weekend.

Cheers for reading,

Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Linking up with:

Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Oh Scrap 

 






20 comments:

  1. It SEW good to see your Patriotic project, Sylvia! Best of luck on get that top quilted. Maybe by Labor Day? Nice start on BLUE, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea for a goal, Joy! Labor Day finish or bust!

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful quilt top, Sylvia! I love the design and borders you added. Homegrown raspberries and a squirt gun - no better fun than that! Have a wonderful July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that’s a gorgeous quilt top! I think some of the best patriotic quilts (like yours) are just standard patterns tweaked and sewn in patriotic colors! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I love all the variety we can get from just simple patterns.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the uplifting message about the 4th of July, Sylvia. It's wonderful to find a post expressing gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 4th of July, Jeannine! I am grateful every day that my ancestors came here looking for a better life. They found it!

      Delete
  5. Great idea, changing the pattern so you could use 2 1/2" strips! We've been picking and enjoying raspberries lately, too. Love your patriotic quilts! Yes, God HAS blessed America! Happy 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very patriotic - I have a handful of raspberries too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberries are one of the best things about summer, IMHO!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful patriotic quilts.
    Happy July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt top. It looks so pretty in patriotic colors. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! And what a fun way to water the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I have some good helpers around here.

      Delete
  9. Love your patriotic quilts! Mine are currently in hiding as there is no place to display them in our travel trailer. i recall at a young age going with Mother and my siblings to the raspberry patch to pick for $. When they began doing this I was too young so would play quietly in the rows in the farmers field, who was a friend from church. As the years went by I picked as well. Early mornings I would see the huge spiderwebs spread out with dew on them. If it were my choice for jams I would choose raspberry without the seeds. For some reason I don't care for them getting stuck in my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely memories, QuiltGranma! My kids and I picked raspberries and strawberries summer after summer, whether they wanted to or not! I love having the berries in my yard now, but I'm with you about the seeds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Post a comment--I want to know what you think!